: 89 Brougham swaps?

89cadillacpimpin
06-17-05, 08:31 PM
Hello there,
I have been looking for info on swapping a gen 1 sbc into my 89 brougham and can't seem to find any info. I have an olds 307 and would like to swap it for a chevy small block. I would like to go with a chevy because olds are quite a bit more money and alot harder to find parts for. I was wondering what is needed for this swap and if it's even possible?
Some Info would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Destroyer
06-17-05, 08:54 PM
Hello there,
I have been looking for info on swapping a gen 1 sbc into my 89 brougham and can't seem to find any info. I have an olds 307 and would like to swap it for a chevy small block. I would like to go with a chevy because olds are quite a bit more money and alot harder to find parts for. I was wondering what is needed for this swap and if it's even possible?
Some Info would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Its possible and fairly easy. I was going to do this swap to my 87 but found a clean 91 that had 305 Chevy so I put a 350 in that instead. Find any small block Chevy powered Caprice of the same vintage and relieve it of its motor mounts and possibly the frame mounts (you will have to look at both and see if they are the same). I'd take its radiator as well. I'm not sure if you have the right chevy/bop bellhousing or just the bop but thats easy enough to check. Understand that all accessory brackets are different so you will need all that from the donor car as well. Probably easier to just get a 90-92 model with a Chevy motor though plus they have a few more upgrades.

N0DIH
06-17-05, 09:47 PM
You will need to reroute exhaust, fuel line may need to switch sides of the car, probably need a larger radiator.

I would recommend keeping the computer running, that should be no problem. I did and Olds 350 swap and it never knew and ran perfectly.

davesdeville
06-18-05, 06:03 AM
So you want cheap performance... I got 3 numbers for you: 500.

Bishop
06-18-05, 08:34 AM
500...mmm.

Destroyer
06-18-05, 12:07 PM
You will need to reroute exhaust, fuel line may need to switch sides of the car, probably need a larger radiator.

I would recommend keeping the computer running, that should be no problem. I did and Olds 350 swap and it never knew and ran perfectly.
I kinda took it for granted the exhaust would be done, a dual exhaust perhaps? The stock radiator should cool ok but I think the inlet and outlet are reversed between the stock 307 and sbc. Personally I would forget keeping the computer running. Plain old carb=less hassle.

N0DIH
06-18-05, 01:06 PM
Check on a Pontiac B-Body (well, any I guess). I have a good radiator that I pulled from a 1979 Bonneville 301 car that I was thinking of fixing up. It is in good shape.

I save a couple things from that car also, but not much. I have the AC condensor (the thingy in front of the radiator for the AC) which I pondered making one heck of a tranny cooler out of...

Duals are great, but if you have emissions, you have problems there. If not, you are ok. IF you have to pass smog tests, get an Olds 350. You can make them identical to a 307, same with a 403. 350's are fairly cheap to rebuild and play with for power. A 350 Olds can do as much power as a 350 Chevy can, just costs a little more. And Olds 350's (and 307's) come factory with 6in rods. So if you are into long rod motors, Olds is a good choice.

All depends on your requirements. Chevy 350's are cheapest of all. Install won't be hard, but you will need B/D body manifolds or headers.

Don't fear the ECM, it works well. But aftermarket support in chips and such are about gone. So a non ECM is nice for old school tuning. But you do lose lockup on the converter and that you need with 3.23's and lower gears. Else the converter is in stall in OD and that is bad news. It will fry trans in short order due to heat buildup with it slipping all the time.

evilrussian
06-18-05, 04:56 PM
350 SBC in an '83 DeVille here. Install is a breeze. This is THE cheapest way to add extra power when it comes to swaps. I spent like $800.00 or something including a nice roller L05 out of wrecked 92 Caprice cop car.
As far as radiator goes, factory one should be okay as long as the upper hose is on the driver's side. I replaced my radiator like 7 years ago with an aftermarket factory spec repro which has gave up on me 2 months ago, heater bypass fitting broke off. Sooo I have a brand spanking new aluminum Griffin racing radiator just sitting at home waiting to get installed, received it this thursday. But that is going to be a lot of work to get it to fit my DeVille because they are nothing alike. Well, I'll start another thread on that pretty soon with proggress pictures and what not.

N0DIH
06-18-05, 11:27 PM
Can't argue with the facts!

Did you carb it with a Q-Jet or AFB or Holley?

89cadillacpimpin
06-19-05, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the info guys!!!!!!!!

davesdeville
06-19-05, 05:11 AM
350 SBC in an '83 DeVille here. Install is a breeze. This is THE cheapest way to add extra power when it comes to swaps. I spent like $800.00 or something including a nice roller L05 out of wrecked 92 Caprice cop car.

I bet I could do a 500/472 for cheaper :p

N0DIH
06-19-05, 09:13 AM
if you can get the car for a good price, likely yes. The 500 would destroy the THM200 4R in short order. But it can be rebuilt to take it.

Hmm, 2.56 gears, THM200 4R OD, 500, mild warming on the 500, you would have virtually unlimited top speed!

davesdeville
06-19-05, 11:29 PM
It would take a real stout 500 to get one of these bricks to go fast. I was thinking take the rear and short tail TH400 from a 77+ Fleetwood equipped with those and a 500 from a differant car. I think swapping it all in could be done for under $750 if you get the parts at a good price.