: My Exhaust sound...Listen!

1fastSTS
06-17-05, 04:57 PM
Ok finally got some videos and figured a way to host them..

let me just add, my Girlfriend cant work the damn camera for anything...so i apologize for stupid background noise etc....and also i think my exhaust tone is so loud that the camera cant handle or capture the tone fully...it kinda exceeds the limits of the cameras sound hardware i guess....but i tried my best...hopefully you guys can get some use out of it.

oh and hopefully they work for you guys...i tried them and they work for me so....

http://autos.movie-host.net/uploadstore/video3.mpg (http://autos.movie-host.net/uploadstore/video3.mpg)
http://autos.movie-host.net/uploadstore/stsvideo1.mpg (http://autos.movie-host.net/uploadstore/stsvideo1.mpg)
http://autos.movie-host.net/uploadstore/stsvideo2.2.mpg (http://autos.movie-host.net/uploadstore/stsvideo2.2.mpg)

anton_555
06-17-05, 06:08 PM
very nice, great sounding!!!!

davesdeville
06-17-05, 07:01 PM
What mufflers do you have? It sounds about the same as my ETC with Magnaflows.

1fastSTS
06-17-05, 07:22 PM
corsa.

eldorado1
06-17-05, 08:03 PM
Nothing says V8 like a healthy growl........ http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/bouncy.gif

1fastSTS
06-17-05, 08:14 PM
yea, im totally pleased with it; i got it on sale during christmas time, they knocked off like 300 bucks, and it was free shipping on top of that, couldnt pass it up.

then i installed a 2.5inch magnaflow hi flow cat, and had a 3inch downpipe custom bent to meet my rear manifold. sounds bad ass, and it roars just like you said...healthy...unfortunatly the camera doesnt give it justice, i need to borrow or get better equipment. hopefully soon.

powerglide
06-17-05, 08:36 PM
sweeeeeet!

danbuc
06-18-05, 06:19 PM
Sounds excellent. I've been meaning to take some quick video's of my car as well, but never had the time. I'll get around to it one of these days.

1fastSTS
06-18-05, 07:55 PM
ooh when you do lemme know the equipment you used, mine just sucks LOL

mcf1000x2003
06-18-05, 08:18 PM
i has the 2.5 piping with magnaflows on my 95 sts it sounds good I also got a custom intake that sounds bad ass when u wot.How much extra did u pay to get the downpipe and do u think it help performance?

capn
06-19-05, 02:49 PM
i love the heathly N* sound, i like mine becuase its straight pipes:bouncy:

mcf1000x2003
06-19-05, 04:16 PM
straight pipes wpould sound good does anybody know of any N* with true duals

1fastSTS
06-19-05, 04:58 PM
downpipe with the magnaflow install was 175 bucks for me, but every place is different

eldorado1
06-19-05, 05:35 PM
straight pipes wpould sound good does anybody know of any N* with true duals

I've got true duals, no crossover, going through two high flow cats and cheap-o 'superturbo' mufflers..... http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

danbuc
06-19-05, 08:44 PM
I've got true duals, no crossover, going through two high flow cats and cheap-o 'superturbo' mufflers..... http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

How did you manage to run the exhaust from the left bank exhaust manifold, without the crossover pipe? Where did you route the exhaust? From what I've seen, there is literally no room to route the pipe any where else, other than between the engine and trans? What exactly do you mean by "no crossover". In order to run the exhaust from the left bank to the rear of the car, you need a pipe to "crossover" through the engine compartment, hence the name of the pipe. If your not running it through the gap inbetween the engine and trans, where did you route the pipe instead? I'm just curious, since I've never seen anyone able to come up with a way to run true dual exhaust in a Northstar, with such a lack of space. If you can take some pic's that would be great.

eldorado1
06-19-05, 09:40 PM
How did you manage to run the exhaust from the left bank exhaust manifold, without the crossover pipe?

Maybe I should've said "no equalizer pipe" http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/banana.gif

danbuc
06-19-05, 11:40 PM
Oh, so did you route the crossover, and right bank downpipe seperatly then? If so, it's sounds like it worked otu pretty good. See if you can take some pic's of your setup. I'm interested to see how you have it setup.

eldorado1
06-20-05, 03:53 PM
Yep, just get rid of the Y pipe and you can do the same ;)

Mine's in a Fiero though, so the setup will be a bit different. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/drinker.gif

mtflight
06-20-05, 06:03 PM
Yep, just get rid of the Y pipe and you can do the same ;)

Mine's in a Fiero though, so the setup will be a bit different. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/drinker.gif

Ok... that was not funny. LOL

So the oil cooler bypass, the programmmable PCM, the paddles on the steering wheel, and now the true dual exhaust... all went on a Fiero?

What is the performance increase in the true dual, vs the Y pipe and 1 cat?

:)

eldorado1
06-20-05, 08:10 PM
Ok... that was not funny. LOL

So the oil cooler bypass, the programmmable PCM, the paddles on the steering wheel, and now the true dual exhaust... all went on a Fiero?

What is the performance increase in the true dual, vs the Y pipe and 1 cat?

:)

:D

Don't know the performance increase (if any)... If their equivalent areas are the same, it shouldn't do anything but change the sound.

p.s. - pay no attention to my username. That was just the donor car. :)

mtflight
06-20-05, 08:14 PM
:D - pay no attention to my username. That was just the donor car. :)

should be eldokiller1 :tisk:

just kidding, btw... I guess you perpetuated it's heart (N*)

eldorado1
06-20-05, 08:19 PM
(N*)

Someone rang?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/758000-758999/758704_2_full.jpg
(Back to your regularly scheduled programming)

mtflight
06-20-05, 08:33 PM
Pretty nice... looks like it must fly. What kind of performance goes with it, by putting it on such a sporty light weight car?

I've never seen them with the beauty cover on, when applied in other cars... does it not fit well/no benefit to the beauty cover?

Nice engineering feat :)

eldorado1
06-20-05, 10:00 PM
Pretty nice... looks like it must fly. What kind of performance goes with it, by putting it on such a sporty light weight car?

I've never seen them with the beauty cover on, when applied in other cars... does it not fit well/no benefit to the beauty cover?

Nice engineering feat :)

Thanks. I'm told it'll do the 1/4 in about 13 sec. I haven't tested that yet. 0-60 ~5 sec. I left the beauty cover off because I think it looks better... http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/coolgleamA.gif

1fastSTS
06-20-05, 11:18 PM
lol thats funny. but you shoulda dropped a L67 into your fiero instead, bigger performance backing.

i remember when people say theres no room for headers etc.
i had my STS propped up on a lift, theres def. room there, i see how the manifolds could be copied with smoother piping, lessen the sharp angles restricting airflow, theres room @ the rear especially, and if you could only do the rear, that atleast would help the rear park specifically, theres def plenty of room @ the rear part!, and i see the crossover on how everyone says the crossover would scrap the ground, it doesnt appear that way to me, its set inside not sticking out to begin with!
if you convert it to a Mandrel bent pipe, wouldnt that benefit more, less bends in the stock crossover, and air can flow free, and so what if it pops out another 1inch more, it will still clear any bumps or potholes!

id love to check this out for a mandrel bent crossover pipe...there would hafta be gains from it, i know my GN is turbo but a company makes a mandrel bent crossover pipe to replace the stock crossover, and gains are made from this little mod b.c of the nice bends etc.
i wonder if it would be the same for the caddys sake....

eldorado1
06-20-05, 11:40 PM
id love to check this out for a mandrel bent crossover pipe...there would hafta be gains from it, i know my GN is turbo but a company makes a mandrel bent crossover pipe to replace the stock crossover, and gains are made from this little mod b.c of the nice bends etc.
i wonder if it would be the same for the caddys sake....

The stock exhaust system is so wierd...... If you could set up headers, and fab up a new 2.5" dia or so crossover, you'd be ahead by about 50 horses. Most of that from the headers, but who's counting?

I've always wondered what something like the 13 degree cam retard would do on the northstar (same as the 3.4 DOHC crowd). I don't understand the cam math, otherwise I'd try to figure it out.

In regards to the performance backing... I don't care much. I have a quad cam V8! :p

And eventually I'll have a supercharged quad cam v8!

danbuc
06-21-05, 09:21 AM
The exhaust headers are not the rtestriction in these cars. The restriction is in the crossover, where it has to squeeze through a small gap between the top of the tranny, and the bottom of the engine.The pipe has to flatten out, to fit through there, which is where that extra bit of backpressure comes from. If you could find a way to make that pipe bigger, or flow more smoothly while still fitting inbetween the engine and trans, that would be cool. Other than that small gap though, there really is no other place to route that pipe. Where they have it routed from the factory, is the straightest path to the rear of the car. I guess if there was a way to make the diameter of the pipe larger, and this wider at the gap, that might help. Only problem is, would it still fit.

edit: I'm including a picture of the pipe, and where it's installed so you can see what I'm reffering to.

WoodShoe
06-21-05, 11:40 AM
Yes this setup is certainly a pain in the u know what. I wonder if making the pipe wider, could b plausable?

eldorado1
06-21-05, 01:44 PM
The exhaust headers are not the rtestriction in these cars. The restriction is in the crossover, where it has to squeeze through a small gap between the top of the tranny, and the bottom of the engine.The pipe has to flatten out, to fit through there, which is where that extra bit of backpressure comes from. If you could find a way to make that pipe bigger, or flow more smoothly while still fitting inbetween the engine and trans, that would be cool. Other than that small gap though, there really is no other place to route that pipe. Where they have it routed from the factory, is the straightest path to the rear of the car. I guess if there was a way to make the diameter of the pipe larger, and this wider at the gap, that might help. Only problem is, would it still fit.

edit: I'm including a picture of the pipe, and where it's installed so you can see what I'm reffering to.

The stock manifolds do not equal headers. Headers take advantage of exhaust scavenging, which is nonexistant in the stock manifolds. The crossover has the same area as the rest of the exhaust system, which IIRC was 2.25" dia(?) It does have a few tight bends though, but I don't know if you can get away from that.

I tried installing a larger tubing in that space when I forgot to install the stock pipe before mating the engine and trans...... but it would not work. The stock crossover has a heat shield covering it with some kind of heat insulation similar to fiberglass. There is no more room in there for larger pipe.

1fastSTS
06-21-05, 05:29 PM
lemme ask you guys...could the crossover be installed with the engine and trans as is? or must there be removal of anything?

i am talking to a place here in Long Island NY, that has been doing custom headers for 40 years...i have an appointment to show them my ride on saturday. The crossover referred to in the picture, yea thats a nightmare, flat and kinks in the bends, a mandrel bent pipe even if its flat would still help somewhat. but ill leave it up to the professionals, hopefully the outcome is to my liking.

mtflight
06-21-05, 06:01 PM

I wonder what this pipe looks like on the Bonneville GXP which Bbobynski claims has much less backpressure--I think he mentioned less than what can be accomplished with a Corsa catback exhaust... so there may be some tinkering on this pipe? I mean how else other than straight-through?

They do like less backpressure.....check out the exhaust system on a GXP Pontiac Bonneville. It has SUBSTANTIALLY LESS backpressure than the production Cadillac systems and is quiet with a pleasant burble on decel and a light to mild tone under load. Cruising it is transparent. No annoying drones or moans. One could be converted to an SLS quit easily me thinks. An OEM GM exhaust system is not necessarily the cheapest option but it is sorted out, free flowing and quiet....if you take into account changing many mufflers and such it is not that expensive maybe.... There is adequate fuel and the appropriate spark in the OEM cal for the exhaust change.

1fastSTS
06-21-05, 07:02 PM
im not following, are you talking about the crossover pipe on the GXp is different than the STS crossover?

or do you mean the entire exhaust system on the GXp has less back pressure than the corsa setup for the STS? b.c the GXP is silent, it doesnt have the nice throaty sound that corsa has, so i wouldnt want silent exhaust!

eldorado1
06-21-05, 07:28 PM
lemme ask you guys...could the crossover be installed with the engine and trans as is? or must there be removal of anything?

I spent several weeks trying to find a way to fit a pipe in there..... the sad news was the engine/trans had to come out, and the engine had to be separated from the trans. There's no other way to fit any sort of pipe in there, even that electrical conduit aka 'flex pipe' doesn't work.

As far as I remember, the bends are fairly smooth on the inner pipe.. I don't remember them being crimped?? I cut one apart trying to fit it in with the engine still attached to the tranny, but it didn't work.

mtflight
06-21-05, 07:30 PM
im not following, are you talking about the crossover pipe on the GXp is different than the STS crossover?

or do you mean the entire exhaust system on the GXp has less back pressure than the corsa setup for the STS? b.c the GXP is silent, it doesnt have the nice throaty sound that corsa has, so i wouldnt want silent exhaust!

d) all of the above

The reason that the Corsa on the STS is throatier, is that the mufflers on the GXP are turbo mufflers vs straight pipe.

If the exhaust pressure on the GXP (turbo mufflers and all) is less than that of the STS with Corsa exhaust (straight pipe) then that leads me to suspect that the pipes in front of the CAT are different.

I'm merely speculating.

1fastSTS
06-21-05, 07:36 PM
if the engine need to come out...then so be it LOLOLOL
btw....did u try to disasemble the heat shield from the crossover to see?

factory is def not mandrel bent, GM tries to save as much money as possible, so kinks in the pipe arent of concern to them .
if i can match this sucker, it will still fit in the stock way, and aside from this i can wrap it with header wrap!

N0DIH
06-21-05, 08:10 PM
That is the first time I have heard a N* exhaust, sounds great!

Does the 275 hp sound much different than the 300 hp?

Eric91z
06-21-05, 08:17 PM
1fastSTS,

Is that the full Corsa catback? If so, where did you get it from? Straight from Corsa or are there other, better distributors around? Maybe someone that supports this site?

Thanks.

1fastSTS
06-21-05, 08:49 PM
i bought it direct from Corsa. On sale during Christmas! free shipping and about 300 dollars cheaper. Excellent Customer service, Fast shipping as well.

i have the corsa installed, and on my own i purchased a 2.5inch Magnaflow universal hi flow cat and had a custom downpipe replace the stock one to the rear manifold, and welded to the hi flow cat., which really opened up the throatiness of the exhaust system. i went 2.5inch to match the corsa. Yeah im totally loving the sound, thanks for the Props guys.i had just the corsa on before i did the hi flow cat/ downpipe thing.
after the hi flow cat/downpipe install, there was a noticeable power different, i have no Dyno Test proof, but its based on feel, and i definetly felt it wind out more after that install.

Eric91z
06-21-05, 09:24 PM
How is the setup on the interstate? I have downloaded your clips and the roll-over stuff from the Corsa website and think that setup on the N* sounds awesome. Is there any drone on the highway? I have some friends with LT1 and LS1 F-Bodies and Corvettes with the Corsa cat-back and love the way it sounds at WOT and how it is pretty quite at cruise speeds. This is very important to me since I spend so much time on the highway/interstate.

1fastSTS
06-21-05, 09:33 PM
to me its quiet as can be when im chilling and cruising. if you want more quiet, dont get the hi flow CAT install like i did.
just the Corsa was very quiet at cruising.
i guess i have a slight drone around 60mph, i havent really noticed it, i always have the music on or talk with my Gf or friends in the car. But Corsa doesnt lie with that quiet when u want it to be etc etc slogan.

eldorado1
06-21-05, 09:36 PM
if the engine need to come out...then so be it LOLOLOL
btw....did u try to disasemble the heat shield from the crossover to see?

factory is def not mandrel bent, GM tries to save as much money as possible, so kinks in the pipe arent of concern to them .
if i can match this sucker, it will still fit in the stock way, and aside from this i can wrap it with header wrap!

Yeah, I cut it alllllll up. You definately want a heat shield, otherwise you'll be dumping heat into your oil... Since it's so close to the exhaust ports, it could significantly increase your oil temps. Not to mention any oil leak related fires...

1fastSTS
06-21-05, 10:31 PM
god damn this exhaust setup!!!!! such a big car yet no room( in the engine bay that is), such small displacement v8 compared to those Ls1 346 cubic Inches. yet they have all the room in the world! why couldnt Gm just add another 3 inches clearance....why why why! LOL

Aurora40
06-23-05, 06:04 PM
Wow, that sounds great! Sounds like my car only a louder and a tad deeper. :)

1fastSTS
06-23-05, 06:42 PM
awesome thanks.
do you have a hi flow cat installed on your corsa?
b.c the hi flow cat is exactly what made the tone a little deeper!
but maybe the .6 displacment loss makes a diff. dunno

Aurora40
06-26-05, 05:35 PM
Nope, just the cat-back Corsa system. I'm sure the high-flow and the different downpipe you have would make it louder. The deeper tone is probably due to the difference in engine size.

mtflight
06-26-05, 08:03 PM
Nope, just the cat-back Corsa system. I'm sure the high-flow and the different downpipe you have would make it louder. The deeper tone is probably due to the difference in engine size.

So I guess the STS 98+ and the Aurora share Chasis? or did you have to adapt the Corsa-system to fit your car?

Aurora40
06-26-05, 10:55 PM
The 1998 Seville was based on the Aurora platform. However, the exhaust is not a direct fit as the Seville is a few inches longer than the second gen Aurora. There was some interest in the exhaust from Corsa, and numerous 2nd gen Aurora owners said they'd buy it. Corsa decided to bring in a 2001 Aurora and modify the Seville system as a one-time deal, hoping to sell about 10 of them or so. When it came time to put money where the mouth is, only me and one other person stepped up. But thankfully Corsa still made them. I believe the adjustments are pretty small, though, mostly changing pipe length, not bending.

I've been very very pleased with the system. The power increase in the seat-of-the-pants was noticable, but the main thing was the great sound. Cruising it's quiet or quieter than stock, but when you get on it, it sounds incredible. It was not a cheap system, but I feel it was worth every penny. :)

There are a few owners of the 1st gen Aurora who purchased the Seville system and had local shops modify it to fit as well.