: New old amp

90Brougham350
06-17-05, 03:34 PM
Alright guys, this one's a tricky dicky. If any of you remember I have an amp out of a 89 Towncar in the trunk of my Brougham running the rear 2 speakers. It's just a small one, 30 or 40 watts I've been told. However, at the junkyard last weekend, I found this monster factory amp in an early 90s Continental. The wiring harnesses are identical to the 89, and this thing is a beast, at least for a stock amp. It was $11.00. I figured I could just take out the 89 and plug the new one in. It works, except for one problem. This new amp will shut off if I turn the volume up too high. I've tried with 2 decks, happens each time.

I wired up the amp, a speaker, and a deck on the workbench directly to a battery however, and it worked fine, going all the way to the max volume without shutting off. So what's the deal? What's going on? Thanks guys! BTW, I really wanna get this one working, the guy at the junkyard told me it was a 100 watt.

Brian

shreddedtires
06-17-05, 03:57 PM
Make sure the ground wire is properly hooked up. A lack of a good ground can cause that, also you may need a bigger power wire from the battery. Even though the amp has the same wiring harness, more power means it draws more electrical power from the battery. I hope this helps.

N0DIH
06-17-05, 09:36 PM
Ohmage of the speakers and it is going into a protection mode?

Check the speaker impeadance.

I have also heard that the Ford/Merc/Lincoln "premium" stereos had 100w amps.

DPGC23
06-17-05, 11:52 PM
Yea
Its Ounds Like Its Protectin Itself, Thats Y Its Shuttin Off
Letme Think About It Some More

Dpgc23

davesdeville
06-18-05, 07:05 AM
You said it was only attached to one speaker on the test bench, so these guys above me could very well be right it could be going into a protect mode.

90Brougham350
06-18-05, 02:33 PM
Protect mode huh? Didn't even think of that! Guess I never had a problem with that with the little amp. Hmmm, well, what do you guys think would be my next step to figure this out? BTW, NODIH, thanks for all the help with the drivability. Turned out the timing was retarded about 12 degrees and I needed a new coil. Thanks guys!!!!!

Brian

90Brougham350
06-19-05, 11:19 PM
Alright the speaker I tested it with was a POS 6 inch Panasonic paper cone 6 ohm. I'm trying to power 2 Pioneer 4-way 320 watt 6x9's. So does anyone know how I can see if she's going into protect mode?

Brian

davesdeville
06-20-05, 12:36 AM
If there's not a light or anything, there's probably no way to tell unless you stop hearing sounds.

90Brougham350
06-21-05, 11:20 PM
Alright, seems to me I remember Chuck Dobbins telling me that Lincoln amps were 2 ohm, so I bridged the speakers, and there we go. I'm doing the front speakers once they arive, I bought some Blaupuntk 4x6s for the dash. They go great with my head unit and they glow blue with the music. $40 off at Crutchfield. Thanks for the help guys.

Brian

davesdeville
06-22-05, 06:17 AM
Glowing speakers? Ricer. :p JK