: P2P music sharing

90Brougham350
06-17-05, 12:09 AM
Alright guys, I know it's illegal and whatnot now, I'm NOT LOOKING FOR A DEBATE ON DOWNLOADING MUSIC FOR FREE. That belongs in the CI forum. I'm just wondering what any of you use these days since even Kazaa Light costs money. I've used them all, from Napster to Audiogalaxy to the first Kazaa, WinMX, Limewire, but there has to be some freebees out there somewhere! Thanks guys!

Brian

Playdrv4me
06-17-05, 12:13 AM
Shareza, Grokster, Gnutella (Shareza actually searches all of those anyway). Also there is a whole world of Bit Torrent sites out there. TorrentSpy.com etc....

ben72227
06-17-05, 12:59 AM
When I do things like that:rolleyes:, I use Limewire, since its free, has no spyware, and the new version (released this year) is much better than Kazaa Lite or Morpheus ever were...

davesdeville
06-17-05, 02:44 AM
I use Kazaa. It's still free. I also use a utility called Diet-K which launches Kazaa and kinda hijacks it to get rid of the spy/adware and BS like that.

Playdrv4me
06-17-05, 02:54 AM
I use Kazaa. It's still free. I also use a utility called Diet-K which launches Kazaa and kinda hijacks it to get rid of the spy/adware and BS like that.

Yea Kazaa is actually still up and running and depending on what version you download and where you get it you can get around the banner ads and all the spyware they put on it. I used Kazaa for a very very long time with excellent results.

fast66
06-17-05, 03:18 AM
I still use kazaa lite. Does anyone know really good torrent websites?

radbag
06-17-05, 10:16 AM
I still use kazaa lite. Does anyone know really good torrent websites?

limewire suits me fine...as far as torrents...just getting into it...using burst! for my client and downloading the torrents off isohunt -- i find it quick and easy

elwesso
06-17-05, 11:12 AM
Limewire is good for me too.....

I only use torrents for hard to find things, and I usually dont like messing with them. Jesda is usually into that kind of stuff so i just have him download that stuff for me :D

powerglide
06-17-05, 12:57 PM
eMule

works fine and its free

Elvis
06-17-05, 02:39 PM
I haven't done it in several months, but I switched to bit torrent over the winter.

Kazaa kind of dried up and I wasn't finding as much of the old, rare stuff I used to be able to find there.

My problem with bit torrent is that it seems to be dependent on other people being on and sharing the same files at the same time you want them. For my needs I should probably pay the damn fee and join something.

90Brougham350
06-17-05, 03:28 PM
Yeah but if you join of of them you end up paying a low monthy fee which isn't too bad but still having to pay for the songs themselves if you want to take them, don't you?

I've heard Limewire was probably the worst of any when it came to spyware, but then again, I've been wrong many times before and never afraid to admit it.

Brian

Playdrv4me
06-17-05, 03:59 PM
The cool thing about torrents is that usually people upload the entire album. So even if you want just one song you download the whole album with the cover art and everything. Sucks if your on 56k but is pretty cool otherwise.

Elvis
06-17-05, 05:56 PM
That torrent spy site is awesome! I've never used it before.

Anyway, I've cued up about seven different things to download over the weekend. They go really slow, but I'm thinking it's worth it in the long run to just leave the system running all the time. I'll transfer it to my laptop and mp3 player later.

Right now I'm downloading "A Night Out With Verve". It's a 4-disc compilation of some old jazz from the 50's.

I've also got three or four audiobooks on the way. I used to listen to all of that on cassette, but now everything's moved to CD. It's a damned expensive habit, too. You listen to something like this ONCE, and then you GIVE it to somebody else. I'll just download to my MP3 player for free and listen to them whenever I feel like it.

evilrussian
06-17-05, 06:27 PM
I agree with powerglide , e-mule is probably the best one out there. I've used it for long time and haven't had any problems. Plus, there is a crapload of other clients out there that connect to the same p2p network, such as e-donkey e.t.c...

link: http://www.emule-project.net

I also recommend reading this white paper on the whole p2p shabang and where it is heading, very interesting article, IMO...

link: http://www.filehash.com/p2p1

powerglide
06-21-05, 01:19 AM
evilR...thats an interesting "white paper" indeed!

90Bro...glad to see that emule seems to have worked out for you!

davesdeville
06-21-05, 10:09 PM
Does emule use the gnutella network? Cause if it does and it's still as slow and unreliable as it was a couple years ago....

tru504187211
06-23-05, 12:37 AM
It probably doesn't have the most up to date server list, but I use edonkey2000 still for full albums and Kazaa Lite for singles.

weister42
06-23-05, 01:24 AM
i try to find friends who have the songs I want on their computer, then I steal it with a thumb drive or a CD-R, no viruses and spyware on my computer!

Now that's a true Peer-to-Peer networking:)

Xrayqueen
06-26-05, 01:57 AM
Alright guys, I know it's illegal and whatnot now, I'm NOT LOOKING FOR A DEBATE ON DOWNLOADING MUSIC FOR FREE. That belongs in the CI forum. I'm just wondering what any of you use these days since even Kazaa Light costs money. I've used them all, from Napster to Audiogalaxy to the first Kazaa, WinMX, Limewire, but there has to be some freebees out there somewhere! Thanks guys!

Brian

Bearshare is great :) But you didn't hear it from me :)
Peace Xrayqueen :D

dhs
06-26-05, 03:15 AM
Does anyone know a p2p other then kazaa that lets you turn off uploading? Morpheus and ares don't let you do it and I dont like the idea of being sued... :cool:

danbuc
06-26-05, 03:23 AM
I use Shareaza. Just finsihed downloading AutoCAD 2005 for no real reason. I guess maybe I was bored. I use these programs to download software (like PhotoShop, Acrobat, DriveScrubber, XP Pro,..ect) or games like (SimCity 4, Doom 3, Serious Sam,...ect). I don't really use it for music that much, mostly because I've already got a crap load to listen too. Now I just search for obscure programs (and expensive ones) just to see if I can manage to find, download, and install them. That's about it.

Xrayqueen
06-26-05, 06:26 AM
Does anyone know a p2p other then kazaa that lets you turn off uploading? Morpheus and ares don't let you do it and I dont like the idea of being sued... :cool:
Bearshare does and it's a free service :lildevil:
Peace Xrayqueen :shhh: