: location of fusible links..

king of the road
06-16-05, 06:05 PM
So i would like to know where these *fusible links* are please as so i can check their condition!, please, please please!!!....oh my cars a 77 fleetwood with a 425... cheers guys!!..:bouncy:

Prince BY-TOR
06-16-05, 10:29 PM
my fusible links were (3 of them) were located on a terminal connected to the starter all 3 were on one terminal maybe that helps some

Prince BY-TOR
06-16-05, 10:30 PM
theyre just wires with a special coating conncted with a butt connector or joint

BluEyes
06-18-05, 08:17 PM
well, they're not 'just wires' they are a slightly smaller gauge, and made with a metal that will burn out faster than the other wiring in the circuit they are in. Kinda like really high amp fuses to protect some of the big circuits in the body.

To check their condition, you can theoretically tell by feeing them. Or, take a multimeter and poke it through the sheathing 'downstream' of the link and test the resistance between there and the positive terminal where they connect to the starter. Basically, they will be good (conduct) or bad, and measure infinite resistance (burnt out). Replacement links can be had at any decent parts shop.

Dutch Luchador
12-17-07, 06:57 PM
If you want to change the fusible links with modern fuses what Ampere shoud I use? I have a '70 CAdillac deville.

DevilleMN
12-17-07, 07:09 PM
You have not said what the problem is. Have had only one link fail in 40 some years of car ownership.
Usually it's the connections not f-links.

What is the issue?

Dutch Luchador
12-17-07, 07:12 PM
I had to replace all the wiring from the starter because the isolation was rotten.
So while working there I want to change these old school fusible links into modern replaceable fuses. But I need to knwo what amperage I should use. I cann't find it in the manual.

N0DIH
12-17-07, 07:38 PM
IIRC at least one of them can be bypassed at the orange diagnostic connector on the fender.... A friend of mine and I had to "hot wire" a blown fuseable link to get home after our killer 100W low and high beam headlights blew it on a very dark night at 141 and I44 in St. Louis some 20 years ago (when it was quite undeveloped compared to now....)

Depends on what you need to power. The fusible links or the new cars with Maxi-Fuses are varying power. It all depends on the wiring and depends on the circuit.

I have a 9C1 underhood power box, this would be a great piece to start with. Or the 94-96 FW Box (I like the FW box much better). Super simple and easy to wire up.