: Ex-Cadi owner may be one again!

ray01sts
06-16-05, 03:22 PM
Hey all, My STS and me parted ways last year after a very bad ownership experience. But I knew then that not all Caddys were as bad as say the 98-04 Sevilles and Devilles. I traded my STS in on a 05 Subaru Outback and even though I have loved my Outback, I'm starting a new job that will require me to travel extensively. I'll have a company car and I refuse to make a car payment on a car I may only drive two or three times a month. So I found someone interested in taking the Subaru off my hands. Sorry for rambling on, back to the point. A buddy of mine has had is Granddad's 96 Fleetwood since his passing about 6 months ago. He's interested in selling it to the right person, you know because of the family tie. We were talking and he told me he'd let my have it for 7 grand. I know it's a good deal considering it's a one owner, Black on cream with a black vinyl top, the car has 65,000 miles on it, and has always been garaged. I know the LT1 is an extremely reliable powerplant, but I was wondering what to expect from the rest of the car. Such as tranny, suspension, electrical, etc.? I wouldn't be putting a whole lot of miles on it, but would occasionally be driving it on lond road trips. Is there anything I need to check out before signing on the dotted line? Thanks for any help

davesdeville
06-16-05, 03:56 PM
It's a big Caprice. You know, the cars police departments routinely got 250k from. 4L60E is a solid enough tranny. No air suspention to malfunction as far as I know. Electronics are fairly basic for a Caddy.

ray01sts
06-16-05, 04:34 PM
Thanks, I've was just reading some of the performance upgrades available, sounds like it could be a fun car. I was going to pump some money into the subaru, it's the turbo version, but all the bolt on goodies are expensive for the ricer Subaru. I was going to try and spend less than 10k on a car to replace the 30K Subaru to get out from under the payment. With $3500 left over if I purchase the Fleetwood, i could have a tire roaster and shock the s*** out of my friends.

caddycruiser
06-16-05, 07:16 PM
I'd jump on it, especially considering you know the current owner very well and it's a 1996 (the last year with as many updates as they ever got, like daytime running lights and the new stereo system) AND that it's about the best color combo ever made on this car, black with the light beige interior :worship: :worship:

We tried desperately to find a nice black one when looking for one two years ago, but 3 in a row were all beat up, worn out, or trashed, so we went with a pretty much immaculate Cotillion white over Red (a very rare and weird story in and of itself...) leather '93 Brougham.

You'll LOVE it, especially if you're all for VERY low maintenance costs (these are NOT highly electronic-ized cars like recent Caddy's), tons of room, great power, RWD, and a distinct rarity that means you can go weeks without EVER seeing another car like yours. :coolgleam

ray01sts
06-16-05, 07:20 PM
I'm going to take the Caddy out this weekend to see if I like it. Heck the first Caddy I ever drove was a 84 Coupe deville, I loved the way that car drove. The 96 has got to drive awesome for a big sedan compared to that coupe deville. Not to offend anybody.

theGman
06-16-05, 10:27 PM
Boy are you lucky, having the best color combo available. I couldn't find a black Fleetwood when I was looking; settled on the best available one, which happened to be white with cream interior.

I also own a Seville, a '96 SLS. I love the looks of the Seville, but love even more the simplicity of the big Woods...as was mentioned, it's basically an Impala SS in a tuxedo. There are tons of parts available for the car, due in no small part to the loyal Impala SS owners, who will be your cousins, along with the Roadmaster owners. See the www.ImpalaSSForum.com for what you can do to the Fleetwoods.

You'll love everything except the stupid ventilation system, which won't let you pick where you want the air to blow out.

Paul G.

carguy16
06-16-05, 10:49 PM
Yeh, the ventilation system is always bringing in outside air, cant do anything about it. I hate getting behind someone that has smelly exhaust, eww!

Tranny's are good, they usually fail after 100,000 miles, mine was rebuilt after 100k miles, ive seen so many Fleetwoods with the same problem, I dont know why it is, but not a big deal, you rebuild it for $1,000.00 and its good as new.

Suspension is easy, its air shocks with auto level in the rear, no electronics at all! If the car gets low it pumps them up, how easy is that?

Fuel from the rear, RWD. Go and buy it! You will love it!

I was playing with my friend with a Mercedes, newer one, it was HUGE(long), in a parking lot, from 0-40 we were tied, he was suprised, we had to stop at 40(empty parking lot!).

Fleetwoods are awesome, they are solid, go buy the car! Dont hesitate!

JAKE91
06-17-05, 09:19 AM
It's a big Caprice. You know, the cars police departments routinely got 250k from. 4L60E is a solid enough tranny. No air suspention to malfunction as far as I know. Electronics are fairly basic for a Caddy.

A BIG CAPRICE?! :bonkers:

NO AIR SUSPENSION?! :helpless:

YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR CADILLACS :banghead:

ALL EX-OWNERS SHOULD DISREGARD THE POST I QUOTED. :welcome:

davesdeville
06-17-05, 07:34 PM
It IS a big caprice. I think it has the same frame, I know it has the same drivetrain which is what's important for reliability. It does have rear airbags for the leveling system, I meant to put no electronic suspention like the kind that has the fluid that changes viscosity, I'm sure that's expensive to fix.

If you want to talk about knowing Cadillacs... what's the cyl head combustion chamber volume of a 1970 472?

There's a light or 2 on your keyboard. One is for numbers lock, one is for caps lock. Find the key that turns the caps lock light OFF.

ray01sts
06-17-05, 08:51 PM
I will be picking up the Fleetwood tomorrow morning to drive it for a while. Is there anything besides the brakes I should be keeping an eye out for will I'm driving? I Know that this car has been sitting for a while, even before the previous owner pasted. Last time it was driven was from my buddies grandfathers house to his and that was several months ago. He has started it once a week and let it run for some time. So, I know that the cooling system, battery, etc. are good.

DPGC23
06-17-05, 11:49 PM
Damn, For 7 G's??
Go For It, I Payed 12g's For My 94 And It Had 94thousand Miles On It
But Mann, I Wanted That Caddy So Bad, I Payed Deep

Get It

Dpgc23

ray01sts
06-18-05, 03:13 PM
Well I drove the car today, however i got in such a hurry i forgot my autotap and PDA, Oh well. The car drove great, and the color combination is awesome. The car was really responsive to throttle input, although there was some bogging and hesitation from time to time. Probably bad gas as it was last filled up several months ago. Over 45 mph there was a noticable vibration, I'm guess the tires have flat spots on them from the car sitting for so long. Seemed to get better the longer I drove. Overall I liked it more than I thought I would. I'm going to take it to my mechanic next week and get it on a lift. Just want to check, don't want any surprises that even my buddy might not know about. Thanks for the input I'll keep you all posted.

JAKE91
06-20-05, 11:10 AM
It IS a big caprice. I think it has the same frame, I know it has the same drivetrain which is what's important for reliability. It does have rear airbags for the leveling system, I meant to put no electronic suspention like the kind that has the fluid that changes viscosity, I'm sure that's expensive to fix.

If you want to talk about knowing Cadillacs... what's the cyl head combustion chamber volume of a 1970 472?

There's a light or 2 on your keyboard. One is for numbers lock, one is for caps lock. Find the key that turns the caps lock light OFF.

YOU ARE MERELY A 17 YEAR YOUNG EARTHLING, AND ACCORDING TO MY CO-ORDINATES, LIVING IN A REMOTE AREA OF PLANET EARTH. :helpless:

IN MY WORLD, YOU WOULD BE ABOUT 1 EARTHLING FEET HIGH WITH A TINY NOGGIN FOR A KISSER. :rolleyes:

I AM 240 EARTHING YEARS YOUNG,IN COMPARISON. :lildevil:

P.S. WHAT IS A COMPUTER? :sneaky:

JAKE91
06-20-05, 12:33 PM
:) IF THE LLAC IS WHAT YOU SAY IT IS, IT IS A GOOD BUY FOR THAT PRICE. :coolgleam

BE SURE TO REV THE ENGINE COLD AND HOT ON YOUR NEXT TEST DRIVE.
THE HESITATION COULD JUST MEAN SHE NEEDS PLUGS.
GOOD LUCK. :yup:

davesdeville
06-20-05, 01:33 PM
^^ Have you been drinking or something?

BluEyes
06-20-05, 02:02 PM
Maybe something to do with the smelly exhaust fumes from the car infront of him?

If my sources are correct, a '70 472 chamber should displace 76cc. Looks about right for the spare set of heads I have, but never measured.
What's the point of that though?

Definately buy the car though, should be really sweet. Too bad it does share a chassis with the Caprice (and the Buick Roadmaster I think) except that means replacement and aftermarket parts are going to be easier to come by. Traditionally, Cadillac has had their chassis all to themselves, not shared among several GM brands.

JAKE91
06-20-05, 02:54 PM
With General Motors' 5.7-liter V8 under the hood, the Fleetwood Brougham is not underpowered. This 260-horsepower engine is as venerable and classic as the Fleetwood itself, and is a close relative to the engine found in the Chevrolet Corvette. There is plenty of power for hills, passing, merging, or full loads, and fuel economy is surprisingly good. The 4-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission shifts smoothly and quickly. A trailer towing package is available. It gives the Fleetwood the ability to tow trailers weighing up to 7,000 pounds, a higher rating than many sport-utility vehicles. :coolgleam

CONCLUSIONS: The end of an era is approaching. :banghead: When production of the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham ends at the end of the 1996 model year, the traditional big Cadillac will be extinct. The highways of America won't be the same.

davesdeville
06-20-05, 03:50 PM
Maybe something to do with the smelly exhaust fumes from the car infront of him?

If my sources are correct, a '70 472 chamber should displace 76cc. Looks about right for the spare set of heads I have, but never measured.
What's the point of that though?

The point was to show this clown doesn't know everything.

JAKE, Mr. Caps Lock, BluEyes might be onto something. That Fleetwood of yours making any noises that might be an exhaust leak? Any weird smells lately? :p

ray01sts
06-20-05, 06:38 PM
I love how these forums get off track so easily. No offense to anyone, it happens.
BTW: I'm taking the fleetwood to the mechanic Wednesday. Depending on that outcome, I'm be heading back to my buddies with checkbook in hand. Thanks for all the advice guys.

BeelzeBob
06-21-05, 04:18 PM
Hey! I just read in another thread that you may be getting a 1996 Fleetwood. You won't be sorry! I had a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham and I loved it. In fact, I miss it.. Very, very good car. Very reliable, very comfortable.. If I had a garage I never would have sold it.

N0DIH
06-23-05, 08:54 PM
No, the Caprice and Roadmasters are just a SHORT Fleetwood!!

It IS a big caprice.

They don't share frames, but they are similar. Length being the primary difference. Fleetwood is 6 inches longer midships. Check with the guys who buy the Fleetwood carpet for the Roadmaster/Caprice/Impala.

I went from a 91 Bonneville to a 91 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, to a 94 Fleetwood. The Fleetwood is by far my favorite. I have no intentions of getting rid of it for a VERY long time. Then I will be looking for another.....

The LT1 is a great engine, smoothest V8 I have ever seen out of GM. And with the V4P option (7000# tow package) it has GOBS of power. The front suspension dates back to 1970 with the intro of the 2nd Generation F-Body. GM dumped it on the B/D carline in 1977 and it went to 1996 with only one major revision, and that was for the 9C1/9C6 cars only. Maybe limos....

ray01sts
06-27-05, 09:57 PM
Well Guys, found out some info about the car i didn't like. Apparently it has had severe body work done to the rearend due to a real good smack on the a**. Frame work was even done. So, i think I'll let this one pass me by, shame thou, still a nice car. I'll keep my eyes out, besides I don't think my buddy really wants to part with it. I'll keep you posted on what i find. Thanks for all the info. I still want to find a 96 Fleetwood

N0DIH
06-27-05, 10:27 PM
Was the work done well or not? If it was done properly, there shouldn't be a problem unless you are dead set on having a car that has never been wrecked. Mine has has some pass side damage, but the work was done well, some over spray it what tipped me off.

My thoughts are if it was done well, it should be acceptable, but you might be able to negotiate a better price. You can take it to a body shop and have them check it out.

carguy16
06-28-05, 01:41 PM
With that in mind, how much would they want for the car? The value has gone down because its been wrecked, interesting. Send me a PM.