: Power steering crunches

ammason
06-16-05, 01:35 PM
Hey all,

So the power steering in the 69 limo is having some issues. Every once in a while it will crunch - sounds like it's running over a plastic cup. It will then spit a bunch of fluid out and soemtimes get harder to turn. Only seems to do it in parking situations (when it's working the hardest) and it's only done it twice, but I don't like it.

I've added some pretty hardcore PS fluid and it's gotten better... Are these units hard to find/expensive/hard to replace? If anyone's got any ideas for diagnosis/repair/replacement or the parts to do so that would be cool...

Thanks!

Aaron

davesdeville
06-16-05, 02:17 PM
First of all, where does it spit the fluid out? And what's "pretty hardcore" PS fluid? I don't know if the limo version is differant or something (probably not) but if not it shouldn't be hard to find a replacement.

ammason
06-16-05, 02:21 PM
It looks like it's dripping at the pump... The PS fluid was "Lucas" or some brand like that - I asked a few people and they said that the stuff was like thick magic - should be for $10/pint...

davesdeville
06-16-05, 02:44 PM
Where on the pump? Cap? Pressure line? Return line? Pulley?

ammason
06-16-05, 02:54 PM
There was a little fluid on the pump in general from filling it - I'll clean it up and find out specifically where it's leaking...