: Finally some good news: GM may have a hit on its hands

HotRodSaint
06-16-05, 10:59 AM
GM's performance brand already has piled up 9,000 orders for the sporty ragtop, about half the number it had planned to build this year. (http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0506/16/A01-217876.htm)

Playdrv4me
06-16-05, 11:11 AM
Between that, the truck line and the Corvette, thats at least a few models they dont have to worry about, which is good.

BeelzeBob
06-16-05, 12:37 PM
The Saturn Sky looks even nicer.. GM's future is looking up...

Msilva954
06-16-05, 02:05 PM
now if they can get the same "desire" into the regualar cars

Sandy
06-16-05, 02:52 PM
I am seeing one heck of alot of Chevy Cobalts on the road, especially the coupe. Also many Pontiac G6 cars and hoards of Caddy CTS. NOT seeing many new GM minivans.

slk230mb
06-16-05, 03:42 PM
NOT seeing many new GM minivans.

That's a good thing, less minivans I say.

Msilva954
06-16-05, 04:29 PM
That's a good thing, less minivans I say.
More SUV's??? :hmm:

slk230mb
06-16-05, 05:05 PM
More SUV's??? :hmm:

More kickass 4 door cars like the V, and cross overs like the Equinox and SRX. IMHO the minivan form is wornout.

Playdrv4me
06-16-05, 05:15 PM
More kickass 4 door cars like the V, and cross overs like the Equinox and SRX. IMHO the minivan form is wornout.

Agreed.

airbalancer
06-16-05, 06:35 PM
Alot of minivans here
have not seen many CTS

Ralph
06-16-05, 06:45 PM
The Saturn Sky looks even nicer.. GM's future is looking up...

I agree! I also agree that the Sky looks MUCH BETTER.

And to all those who defeatlessly said "KILL OFF PONTIAC" they were NOT thinking of the LONG-TERM. Bite your tongues. :tisk:

c5 rv
06-16-05, 07:15 PM
The solstice / sky looks nice, but don't plan on using the trunk. Space with the top up is something like 3.1 cubic feet. With the top down, trunk space is 1.4 cubic feet. I know that's not the prime consideration for a car like this, but that's not even enough room for a shared overnight bag.

Jesda
06-16-05, 08:29 PM
Less minivans, or even better, less half-engineered barely-competitive minivans that look like walruses. I'm calling you out, Uplander!

HotRodSaint
06-17-05, 12:16 AM
now if they can get the same "desire" into the regualar cars

Exactly. 20,000 Solstices per year is good for a 2-seat sportscar.

But they need a car capable of taking some of the 40,000 per month from Camry or the 30,000 from Accord.

At least the Cobalt is doing well against the Corolla and Civic. :thumbsup:

HotRodSaint
06-17-05, 12:22 AM
I am seeing one heck of alot of Chevy Cobalts on the road, especially the coupe.

Looking at the Cobalt sales numbers verses it's competition, I'd say it's doing pretty well. It's virtually tie with Civic and Corolla.

ben72227
06-17-05, 01:05 AM
Yeah, I've seen a lot of the Cobalt coupes too, which is surprising to me. I didn't think it would be that big of a hit, but I guess its pretty good. I would still get a Mazda3:sneaky: instead.

Yeah, GM's problem is that they need a car to compete with the Camry. The Impala (sorry to say) sucks bad, the G6 is nothing to be excited about right now (maybe later when the coupe comes out), and the Monte Carlo hasn't been good for who knows how long. The Malibu isn't great either, BUT the SS version looked pretty sweet (especially for a Malibu). The Cobalt SS looks good too, as long as mine doesn't have that lame ass ricer spoiler.

The SUV market is slowly fading as people discover the crossovers, and the equinox looks okay, but could always be better. Ditch the Aztek though:nono:. And the Minivan should have been dropped too. Pontiac especially doesn't need a minivan in their line up right now if they want any credibility to their "sport" division...

Jesda
06-17-05, 08:22 AM
Im not so sure the Impala is a Camry competitor, since its so much bigger and plusher. It might match up better with the Avalon, no? God, you could get lost inside that trunk.

The new Malibu seems like closer competition, and it seems to be a mixed bag.

HotRodSaint
06-17-05, 10:39 AM
The new Malibu seems like closer competition, and it seems to be a mixed bag.

The Malibu sold 20k units last month. Which makes it the 4th best selling model in that class, after the Camry, Accord and Altima.

But how many of them are too rental companies? :(

majax
06-17-05, 05:07 PM
I think the Impala is the rental company car. If Ralph is right about the trunk, well then that just tells you it's ment for rental companys. Whens the new Impala hit the market?

Playdrv4me
06-17-05, 05:35 PM
They both are. The Impala and Malibu are big rental sellers. I know I rented a Malibu to drive from Houston to Wichita once. It wasnt bad but it wasnt great either. After I drove it for a while I realized I probably should have taken the Impala that was parked right next to it.