: The start of my 79 Deville project

Devillian86
06-15-05, 11:15 PM
Well today I finally got my 1979 Sedan deville started after it has sat for about 5 years...It took a minute of spraying starting fluid to keep it idleing but it finally ran like a wet dream. It has a light knock but it also has old gas and everything is old, i put some fresh oil in and some fresh tranny fluid but as soon as i hit the brakes, the pedal went to the floor and the brake light went on, so i think the seal on something went but i was planning on updating everything, and i guess the last problem is the generator light is dimly on even if i bring the RPMs up, so i think i need a new ALT. I just put a brand new battery in today also so i just need a $40 alternator. The interior has been started, it has new red carpet, i need to dye the front seats red and put them back in and then replace the headliner. The caddy also needs to have some minor electrical work done and a good cleaning...Otherwise I will keep everyone posted with pics and stories

caddydaddy
06-16-05, 10:26 AM
Good job! Are you restoring it, or hot rodding it, or????

Devillian86
06-16-05, 02:09 PM
Its gonna be somewhere in between that if that makes any sense

caddydaddy
06-16-05, 02:15 PM
So kinda like a resto-rod!

patgizz
06-19-05, 10:50 AM
feels good doesn't it? my 78 sat for 10 years prior to me getting my hands on it. when it started after i put the new starter and battery in it was like a dream. my alternator even worked for 2,000 miles. my master cylinder was bad. you may have popped a brake line, the same thing happened to my truck when i bought it. in the guy's driveway i pushed the pedal and the line on the rear axle popped cause it was rusty right at the clip that holds it to the axle tube.

Devillian86
06-19-05, 12:26 PM
yea i found out the rear seal of the master cyl blew out, and my alternator seems to be charging but the generator light is dimmly on

N0DIH
06-19-05, 06:20 PM
Sounds good, keep us posted!

What are the basic stats? 425? Is it going to stay or get replaced with a 500 (and a 368 sticker to keep people from asking...)

A 500/THM400 or 500/THM200 4R with a set of 3.23-3.42's would be a sweet ride. Always remember, with Cadillacs, like Pontiacs and Olds, you can run high gears like 3.08's to 3.42's and have about the same feel as a Chevy does with 3.73's to 4.11's. Jim Hand ran 3.08's and 12.2's for a long time. So, more is better right? He swapped in a set of 3.73's. Identical ET, but slower mph. Overall drivability wasn't as comfortable and fuel economy was obviously less. Needless to say the 3.08's went back in... How many Chevies exist on this planet that can run 12.2's with 3.08's on the motor, no bottle, no forced induction, and a Q-Jet? Likely around 0......

I would bet a Cadillac can do it easily with the proper $$ and motivation.....

Devillian86
06-19-05, 08:30 PM
i have a stock 425 with a brand new turbo 400 tranny with a shift kit, im gonna upgrade the ignition and air intake system and dress up the motor...its gonna be alot of show...

cadillacshotcalla
06-20-05, 06:16 PM
would it be possible for me to drop a 455 '74 buick engine in my 79 deville.... ive been asking around and nobody seems to know.

davesdeville
06-21-05, 09:30 PM
Aww come on. Do something for power not just all show :tisk:

N0DIH
06-23-05, 05:13 PM
Yes, that would be an easy swap. Need big car exhaust manifolds and new exhaust to mate to it, possibly swap fuel line from one side to the other. Throttle cable would likely need to come from 77-90 (carb'd) B body Buick to match your D Body Cadillac. They may be the same, but you need to check, from one engine to another the Q-Jets had some variation. If you use the Cadillac carb, no changes needed. The 425 carb will feed the 455 with ease. The Buicks built for 1970 specs were 360hp/520 lb ft torque, very worthy in that car. I would strive to get a set of 3.08-3.42 gears for it, but nothing lower (higher numerically).

Use the converter with the smallest diameter. GM used 11in and 12in converters on the trans. Use the smaller of the 2 if there is a difference. Less rotating mass, more revability.

would it be possible for me to drop a 455 '74 buick engine in my 79 deville.... ive been asking around and nobody seems to know.

try2playJAY
07-03-05, 05:39 AM
Speaking of engine swapping....
I'm planning the swap for my 85 eldorado FWD with HT4100. I want at least a 4.6, but does anyone know what I can actually stuff in there without too much trouble; as far as lining up, transmission, etc. Thanks! :thumbsup:

davesdeville
07-03-05, 06:48 AM
You CAN fit a 500 in there, how does twice as much engine (8.2L) sound? I'm not too keen on the FWDs but a member who posts every now and then has an 85 with a 500. An easier swap would be a later 4.5.