: Nitrous Kit for Northstars - It exists

Freep
10-31-03, 03:12 PM
I know many times this has been asked if there is one available. I am here to say there is, I am using one now with a 125-shot. I may decrease it to 90 only because I just dont need that much more power and due to the rumors of stripped head bolts I would rather play it safer. If anyone is interested I can send you the link for the kit. It retails for about $430 including 10 lb. bottle.

I am unaware of the rules for posting so I will refrain from posting the link to the site that carries the kit until I hear from an admin or veteran of the forums(new member here).

the Sandman
10-31-03, 03:18 PM
As long as you're not affiliated with the company you can post the link for informational purposes. Advertising is not allowed without Supporting Vendor status, and spamming is not permitted under any circumstances.

Thanks for asking!

Freep
10-31-03, 03:23 PM
As long as you're not affiliated with the company you can post the link for informational purposes. Advertising is not allowed without Supporting Vendor status, and spamming is not permitted under any circumstances.

Thanks for asking!

Thanks for confirming Sandman,

http://www.compucarnitrous.com/gm.htm
(NOTE: The kit is listed on the bottom #800113)

I am no way affiliated with this company. Although this kit is specificaly designed for Northstars, you can pretty much use this for any EFI GM car. PS. This is a WET system.

ShadowLvr400
11-01-03, 01:15 AM
Not to be rude, but I've been on the bottle for over a year. My work was a bit more custom, but there you go, nitrous is old news, and on a 125 shot.

Katshot
11-01-03, 09:09 AM
I know there are a few guys out there using Nitrous on Northstars but I MUST warn against it. The Northstar CAN be made to handle it relatively easily but in "stock" form, it is like "playing with fire".
Quote from Compucar:
If the correct nitrous system for the application is used, you should never have a problem. The use of the correct jetting as supplied in the kit and an adequate fuel delivery system will greatly reduce the effects of premature engine failure. NEVER ATTEMPT TO ADD MORE HORSEPOWER THAN IS RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURE FOR YOUR APPLICATION.

Read that carefully and you'll see that even the nitrous retailer is warning you.

LymanSS
11-03-03, 11:16 PM
I know many times this has been asked if there is one available. I am here to say there is, I am using one now with a 125-shot. I may decrease it to 90 only because I just dont need that much more power and due to the rumors of stripped head bolts I would rather play it safer. If anyone is interested I can send you the link for the kit. It retails for about $430 including 10 lb. bottle.

I am unaware of the rules for posting so I will refrain from posting the link to the site that carries the kit until I hear from an admin or veteran of the forums(new member here).

Any feedback (from anyone with NOx) on how the tranny holds up? I feel pretty confident about the Northstar engine itself, but I'm a tad worried about the tranny. My car has a tendancy sometimes to shift late going from first to second, and bang the rev limiter in the process. I think the line pressure is too low and it's allowing too much slip. Anyway, I'd love to hear how the cars are holding up with the nitrous. I've never used nitrous on any of my cars because I don't like having to worry about when the power will run out. But In this case it seems like the best option available at the moment. I'd love to hear absolutely anything you have to say about running nitrous on these cars, including driving impressions and quarter mile results. Thanks

Scott

DaveSmed
11-04-03, 12:10 AM
Definitely ask Phil. IIRC He had some trans issues along with a nitrous "burp" out of the air box.

ShadowLvr400
11-04-03, 10:08 AM
Actually, I had thought it was tranny issues. It showed not to be. It was something so stupid, it's not even funny. The airbox wasn't pushed down into place properly, so it'd slide. The hole in the bottom of the airbox was sliding from over the hole in the top of whatever that box is below it. Think of an ocular closing up. Engine was starving for air, so trying to rev, but not getting the power it should have. So far, the tranny has taken everything I've thrown at it, but haven't run the nitrous in a while. Too busy and broke to refill the bottle, plus hunting down some other little gremlins throughout the car that are showing up as she hits 7...

foo
11-05-03, 12:34 AM
Hmm.. so how many people have tried nitrous on the 4.6 ns :)
I'm thinking about doing it for fun

Freep
11-05-03, 06:07 PM
It is the best bang for the buck ( ALthough there is a place working on a Supercharger kit for 4.6L Northstars).

Yes, every place that sells Nitrous or kits will have that disclaimer...they have to. Of course its dangerous, and of course it does take away the life of the motor. But, I dont hit it that often, only when a ricer or mustang wants to play teehee.

I have not hit it in a while as well since the last fill I got was bogus compressed air. The tranny can handle it without a hitch, I spoke to GM about it. Tranny should handle up to 550lb/ft of tq with no problem...well within the range.

A word from the wise though, do not attempt to hit it with Nitrous without first checking ALL your motor & tranny mounts first. You may not know it if your front lower motor mount is still in good shape it is really hard to tell with the liquid filled shock mounts. THe two upper torque struts are easy to physically inspect. I would suggest getting a mechanic to take a look under for you and inspect them properly first.

I have yet to get official times since I dont have a blow down tube for my bottle yet. You will not be able to do runs at the track without a blow-down tube.

ShadowLvr400
11-05-03, 06:28 PM
Blow down tube? Anything like a purge valve?

foo
11-05-03, 06:44 PM
Nice. i'm just worried about it hurting engine.. i already have 70k miles on it :) adding another 70-80HP would be NICE :) It would definitely enable it to smoke some mustangs and corvettes and the like with close to 400HP :>

Freep
11-05-03, 06:46 PM
Blow down tube? Anything like a purge valve?

No, its part of the emergency blow off valve on the bottle itself. Basically prevents the bottle from blowing up due to too much pressure, a cap on the bottle stem will blow out and bleed off the pressure through the blow-down tube away from the interior of the car.

Purge valve is to bleed the line leeding to the solinoids of excess air and 'dead' nitrous. So, the next time you hit it, you are assured it will be a good hit.