: Turbo Charged V

sefa01
06-15-05, 05:38 PM
I stopped in at Cartek to have some codes checked and I saw another of the very fast (meaning black) Vs sitting outside. So I said to Dave, "What that here for?" He said, "We're putting a turbo charger on it." Apparently, Cartek is doing a custom turbo for it.

I asked for the owner's name and I hope I can get him to post on here after it's done. At the very least, I hope to talk to him and see how he likes it.

BTW, the cost is about $9,000.

kimcheejeegae
06-15-05, 05:52 PM
I stopped in at Cartek to have some codes checked and I saw another of the very fast (meaning black) Vs sitting outside. So I said to Dave, "What that here for?" He said, "We're putting a turbo charger on it." Apparently, Cartek is doing a custom turbo for it.

I asked for the owner's name and I hope I can get him to post on here after it's done. At the very least, I hope to talk to him and see how he likes it.

BTW, the cost is about $9,000.

A turbocharger or twin turbos? That's a lot of custom work... for 9K.. that's a bargain...

doesn't LPE have a twin GT28RS set up but i thought it cost upwards of 19K...

LV_V
06-15-05, 06:05 PM
Have you looked at the V without the front fascia on? I don't think there is any room on the driver's side for turbo plumbing, and barely enough room on the passenger side of the engine bay for the plumbing. I can't wait to see this custom setup!!

SiCk PuPpY
06-16-05, 12:26 AM
I am near STS turbos in Salt Lake city. I know they can do turbo kit for around $4000 (At leat that's what they charge for the F-body).

A friend had her 2005 Mustang GT twin-turboed by them for around $5,000. It made 446 rwhp and 463 rwftlb of torque. If anyone is interested, I can take my V down there and have them check fitment and feasability.

VELOSE
06-16-05, 12:29 AM
I am near STS turbos in Salt Lake city. I know they can do turbo kit for around $4000 (At leat that's what they charge for the F-body).

A friend had her 2005 Mustang GT twin-turboed by them for around $5,000. It made 446 rwhp and 463 rwftlb of torque. If anyone is interested, I can take my V down there and have them check fitment and feasability.

You truely are one "SiCk PuPpY".:yup:

SiCk PuPpY
06-16-05, 12:33 AM
You truely are one "SiCk PuPpY".:yup:

Ha ha! I am the boogey man...

ace996
06-16-05, 12:37 AM
Nows when siht gets interesting...
A turbo LS6...the mere mention of such a creation makes many lose their bowels, grab their crotches in envy-induced pain, and seek well hidden sedatives to quell the shakes.

I feel so very bad for that guy's tires...the poor things'll never know what hit them.

c5racr1
06-16-05, 08:22 AM
STS makes a great system if you could get them to check fittiment that would be GREAT! makes as much and more power of teh maggie, but still room to grow. i have seen one of these kits on a stock f body run mid 11s at over 120mph in louisiana heat.

V-seriesTech
06-16-05, 09:14 AM
Ran into an STS turbo WS6 on the turnpike last night,...truly sick!

Were an STS turbo dealer, and ironicaly,...i'm about to start the install of a kit on an 05 H2 HUMMER...like in 5 minutes.

odysseus
06-16-05, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know how much boost a stock 10.5:1 LS6 can take before it blows a piston or head gasket. Personally, I think anything more than about 5 or 6 psi, regardless of which forced induction one uses is asking for an expensive repair bill. I love visiting the V forum and reading about you guys unsatisfied with 400HP! LOL I only wish I could get my lowly 220HP V6 up to the 280-300 HP range, and I'd be happy.

I'd prefer the screw type Eaton (magnuson) over a centrifugal supercharger, or turbo's any day, simply for the broad boost in power, vs, the non-linear high RPM nature of the latter. No, I don't currently drive a V and, unfortunately for me, no one makes an Eaton kit for my lowly V6. The only game in town for me is RSM with their Vortec. The quest for more torque may certainly drive me to upgrade to a V in the next year. My 30,000 mile per year driving habit has had me on the fence since day 1, especially with the tread life of the $1000+ set of runflats.

Rey
06-16-05, 11:13 AM
I have been reading about STS for several months now. Each magazine article lauds their installations. Yet, I am still skeptical about turbo lag. Everything else I have ever read about turbos stresses placing the turbo as close to the exhaust ports as possible. The explanation seems to be that as heat is lost, energy is lost; but it seems to me that the energy transmitted to the turbo is based upon volumne of exhaust gas, which is the same no matter where the turbo is placed.
Then to counter the magazine articles, a knowlegeable friend of mine drove an STS turbo car (forget which); and he said the turbo lag was just awful.

V-seriesTech
06-16-05, 11:23 AM
I have been reading about STS for several months now. Each magazine article lauds their installations. Yet, I am still skeptical about turbo lag. Everything else I have ever read about turbos stresses placing the turbo as close to the exhaust ports as possible. The explanation seems to be that as heat is lost, energy is lost; but it seems to me that the energy transmitted to the turbo is based upon volumne of exhaust gas, which is the same no matter where the turbo is placed.
Then to counter the magazine articles, a knowlegeable friend of mine drove an STS turbo car (forget which); and he said the turbo lag was just awful.

..honestly, i'm with you but,...they stress it's not abnormal. I'll give you my honest opinion after the install and tune...

DgtalPimp
06-16-05, 11:58 AM

As the air gets heated it expands, thus you have "more" air the hotter it is. Closer should reduce the lag and give you more boost. I am not a turbo expert but I am very intrested in a turbo (TT anyone) setup on my V.

Drift-caddy
06-16-05, 12:58 PM
We are starting to do a lot of mods on the ctsv here at the dealer, anywhere from a s/c to heads and cam install. we are looking at doing a turbo kit on a ctsv, and we are willing to sell the turbo kit at cost. no mark up at all on any of the parts. the STS kit that we have install on the GTO and Fbodys are great kits. on stock setup with a good tune we are seeing 450s rwhp. this is only at 7psi. if anyone is really intrested in a custom turbo kit, with at cost parts. please let me know.

thanks

damian

DgtalPimp
06-16-05, 01:01 PM
We are starting to do a lot of mods on the ctsv here at the dealer, anywhere from a s/c to heads and cam install. we are looking at doing a turbo kit on a ctsv, and we are willing to sell the turbo kit at cost. no mark up at all on any of the parts. the STS kit that we have install on the GTO and Fbodys are great kits. on stock setup with a good tune we are seeing 450s rwhp. this is only at 7psi. if anyone is really intrested in a custom turbo kit, with at cost parts. please let me know.

thanks

damian

Which dealer? what location?

PaulF
06-16-05, 01:06 PM
Rumor was or is That STS is working on a turbo for the V. I am installing one of there turbos next week on a Avalanche. Keep you guys posted.

dannystang
06-16-05, 01:10 PM
Oh hey I want a Turbo on my CTS-V, if not I guess ill go Maggie

Drift-caddy
06-16-05, 01:13 PM
We are located in Virgina. we have also done alot of R&D on this wheel hop and trans noise that everyone has complained about and yet the "field techs" say its normal. but that is for another post. (ps caddy does read this fourm) hi. guys..... anyways back on topic. we can do this turbo kit for you, along with any other mods you may want. We also have our own enclosed car trailer that we use for pickup and delivery. So location is not a problem. The production time of the turbo kit will take about 6-8 weeks. this includes a FMIC and all the piping for the turbo.

ace996
06-16-05, 04:39 PM
A turbo on a big V-8 should not have lag. Optimally, a twin ball-bearing set-up would be used for quick spool and then screaming top-end. The problem with many tuners, is that they draw attention by shooting for max hp, which requires a large turbo=more lag. Two smaller turbos would wake up the motor and make lag non-existant. Really, keeping boot under 7psi would probably be best and there are many turbos that could accomplish that without a hint of lag. 10.5 compression is pretty high for a boosted engine, unless compression is going to be lowered its better to keep the psi down.
Another problem that usually leads to lag is intercooler piping. The shorter the piping the less lag. The STi has unusually little lag because it has a top-mount intercooler with very short piping. When people switch to front-mounts, lag increases.

I'm glad to hear of the turbo ideas, as I've always thought V-8s were better motors for turbos and inline-4s better for superchargers. Its not like we don't have torque, and modern turbos can make power down low with the best chargers available. The greatest benefit, I think, is that there is no parasitic loss to a turbo at high rpms. I remember reading about one of the AMGs, and that the supercharger was sucking about 80hp from the motor at redline????????Thats fkuced!
If the space concerns could be overcome, a properly turbo'd V would be incredible...and mini-tubs should be included in the kit...really.
Ve good,
ace996

V-seriesTech
06-16-05, 05:26 PM
There is PLENTY of room where your factory cats go, for a turbo on each bank. Food for thought.

keeksv
06-16-05, 05:29 PM
We are located in Virgina. we have also done alot of R&D on this wheel hop and trans noise that everyone has complained about and yet the "field techs" say its normal. but that is for another post. (ps caddy does read this fourm) hi. guys..... anyways back on topic. we can do this turbo kit for you, along with any other mods you may want. We also have our own enclosed car trailer that we use for pickup and delivery. So location is not a problem. The production time of the turbo kit will take about 6-8 weeks. this includes a FMIC and all the piping for the turbo.

Where in Virginia? Cadillac Dealer?

SilverBullet
06-16-05, 06:14 PM

thanks

damian

Hey Damian! Get off the forum and fix my car! Sitting in my SRX loaner and making 'vroom, vroom' sounds is not keeping me happy any more!

Damian is the V tech at my Caddy dealership and DOES know what he is talking about. So far I have been happy with their work. I just miss my car...

Rikmyster
06-16-05, 06:19 PM
Hey Damian! Get off the forum and fix my car! Sitting in my SRX loaner and making 'vroom, vroom' sounds is not keeping me happy any more!

Damian is the V tech at my Caddy dealership and DOES know what he is talking about. So far I have been happy with their work. I just miss my car...

WOW, your dealership has a special TECH for the VEE??? Mine has one for the XLR, but not the VEE. Wish it was here in SOCAL.

Florian
06-16-05, 06:41 PM
Mine has one for the V as well. :)

F

SilverBullet
06-16-05, 07:56 PM
WOW, your dealership has a special TECH for the VEE??? Mine has one for the XLR, but not the VEE. Wish it was here in SOCAL.

so it appears. I am sure he handles other vehicles but Damien apparently handles all V related issues. He is in the process of preparing estimated for several mods for me :lildevil:. All of which will be done at the dealership and reportedly without affecting warranty BS.

keeksv
06-16-05, 10:20 PM
You just said the magic words....email me if you would silverbullet:
keekoos@yahoo.com

ew

Drift-caddy
06-17-05, 07:23 AM
so it appears. I am sure he handles other vehicles but Damien apparently handles all V related issues. He is in the process of preparing estimated for several mods for me :lildevil:. All of which will be done at the dealership and reportedly without affecting warranty BS.

YEA, i am the only one who likes fighting with the tech rep from GM. sometimes they get me so pissed off with all there b/s. but i have to watch what i say cause i may get in trouble again. (hi guys) well jACK i know it has been awhile since you have seen your car, but dont worry it is in good hands, i am one who would rather have the car a extra day or two and know the car is done right, then have you pick it up and bring it back cause of something stupid we did not do. there are things that are out of our control sometimes, ie parts shipped wrong or waiting on a field tech to show up. should have your car back to you today if parts show up. also you said you were in a SRX, thought i got you a Escalade to drive??? or did you perfer the SRX. anyways if you want to get rid of the trans noise and wheel hop, we can do that for you. done some r&d on a single mass flywheel and clutch setup that gets rid of most of the noise, and the anti wheel hop kit works great as well. also just checking on what everyone thinks about a magnacharger, we are selling them for $5765.00. plus install. also have HP tune to do a custom tune on the dyno. well if anyone has any question please let me know.

thanks

damain

SilverBullet
06-17-05, 09:29 AM
I was just yanking your chain Damian. I actually have nothing but good things to say about you guys so far and have referred folks to you. I would rather wait and have it done right.

Believe me you will see my car much morein the future....lets see.... headers, cat-back, Maggie.....

DgtalPimp
06-17-05, 01:30 PM
Craftsman 21hp LT1000
Nice :histeric:

Drift-caddy
06-17-05, 04:40 PM
Nice :histeric:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

DgtalPimp
06-17-05, 05:09 PM
:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I thought what he listed for his vehicles, was funny.

GNSCOTT
06-17-05, 05:48 PM
As the air gets heated it expands, thus you have "more" air the hotter it is. Closer should reduce the lag and give you more boost. I am not a turbo expert but I am very intrested in a turbo (TT anyone) setup on my V.

Not actually what happens. Actually the exhaust spins the exhaust wheel which is attatched to the inlet wheel. The inlet wheel draws air in and it is compressed, not expanded. The heat from the compression of the air is why most people with turbos benefit and use an intercooler to cool the air so there is less detonation allowing you to run higher boost levels. How much boost an LS6 can take will depend on how efficient the set up is. The cooler the charge, the less detonation you will get, the more boost you can run. Then you will start running into how much HP can the LS6 take and everyone has their own opinion on that. The less piping you have, the less lag you will have, but I do not see a problem on an already potent V8. 2 small turbochargers will get the job done on a stock black street car. Going BB ( turbonetics) or dual bb (innovative) is a waste in my opinion. It adds $400+ to the cost of each turbo and you just do not need it running the low boost levels needed for the V, besides I think the last thing we need on our glass rear, wheel hoppin cars is 500rwhp right at launch. There is almost never lag when you hit it from a roll (thats why Supra guys like to go from a roll, Turbo is too big and they can't hook).

DgtalPimp
06-17-05, 05:52 PM
Not actually what happens. Actually the exhaust spins the exhaust wheel which is attatched to the inlet wheel. The inlet wheel draws air in and it is compressed, not expanded. The heat from the compression of the air is why most people with turbos benefit and use an intercooler to cool the air so there is less detonation allowing you to run higher boost levels. How much boost an LS6 can take will depend on how efficient the set up is. The cooler the charge, the less detonation you will get, the more boost you can run. Then you will start running into how much HP can the LS6 take and everyone has their own opinion on that. The less piping you have, the less lag you will have, but I do not see a problem on an already potent V8. 2 small turbochargers will get the job done on a stock black street car. Going BB ( turbonetics) or dual bb (innovative) is a waste in my opinion. It adds $400+ to the cost of each turbo and you just do not need it running the low boost levels needed for the V, besides I think the last thing we need on our glass rear, wheel hoppin cars is 500rwhp right at launch. There is almost never lag when you hit it from a roll (thats why Supra guys like to go from a roll, Turbo is too big and they can't hook).

I was talking about the expanded air from the exhaust, not the compressed air from the intake side. My comment is closer to the exhaust port is better. Is that a false statement in your opinion? Thanks for the in-depth comments on turbos.

GNSCOTT
06-17-05, 06:07 PM
I was talking about the expanded air from the exhaust, not the compressed air from the intake side. My comment is closer to the exhaust port is better. Is that a false statement in your opinion? Thanks for the in-depth comments on turbos.

I think i'm following what you are saying. You are correct that you want it as close to the headers as possible. The more plumbing the air has to travel through to spool up the turbo, the more lag you will have and the more the exhaust will cool and contract. Sorry, I guess I will have to actually read what i'm reading next time.:D

DgtalPimp
06-17-05, 06:11 PM
I think i'm following what you are saying. You are correct that you want it as close to the headers as possible. The more plumbing the air has to travel through to spool up the turbo, the more lag you will have and the more the exhaust will cool and contract. Sorry, I guess I will have to actually read what i'm reading next time.:D

No reading allowed. :bonkers: