: ran out of gas now my SES light turned on any help

caddy1994
01-01-14, 08:34 PM
I have a 2001 eldorado and just the other day I ran out of gas I wasn't paying attention as I was driving and didn't realize I needed to put gas so I drove it died on me and once I put gas in it the check engine light came on now it wont go off I took it to Autozone and they checked it for me they said it was a misfire in cylinder 6 that it was my ICM so I picked one up at the junk yard also went ahead and changed my spark plugs and my fuel filter but the car still seems like its not funnong how it should or how it was before I ran out of gas now once I tried driving and the SES light blinks once I go over 15 mph but I dont feel any problems with it when im at a high speed but the light keeps flashing. Has anyone had this same issue if so any help would be great. Also if any aone knows how to pull the codes on this same eldorado please let me know thanks guys

Ranger
01-01-14, 08:55 PM
Stop throwing parts at it. Pull the DTC's yourself. Post them AND their definitions here. See the DTC sticky for instructions.

P.S.
A flashing SES light means misfire detected, but it won't tell you which cylinder it is. Irrelevant because AZ already did.
How old are the plugs?
When was the TB last cleaned?

caddy1994
01-02-14, 11:12 PM
Well Az said it was a misfire on cylinder 6 and the spark plugs were. Changed the following day after I ran out of gas and as far as cleaning the throttle body I havent cleaned it since I got the car which is like 6 months ago I will try and pull and poat the codes tomorrow morning

caddy1994
01-03-14, 03:12 PM
Well I got the code and the code is P0306 any help

nyinstaller
01-03-14, 03:22 PM
First off never go to autozone and let them tell you what to buy. They are in almost all cases not mechanics. Running out of gas shouldn't of killed any parts as trust me your not the first to do so in any car etc that being said I would reinstall your original part. Disconnect battery while doing so and start over.

caddy1994
01-03-14, 04:28 PM
So what do u recommend I do about the problem anf what could it be any ideas

Ranger
01-03-14, 09:49 PM
Have you cleared the code and see if it returns?

caddy1994
01-04-14, 11:48 PM
Yes butvit came right back up with in 15 min so any help would be great thanks

MoistCabbage
01-05-14, 12:41 AM
I would check the fuel pressure. The fuel pump is the only thing that running out of gas could have affected.

kaceyseldo
01-05-14, 10:35 AM
I would check the fuel pressure. The fuel pump is the only thing that running out of gas could have affected.

Wouldn't running out of gas affect all the parts of a fuel delivery system? (Atleast all of the vacuum and/or mechanical parts?)

MoistCabbage
01-05-14, 10:40 AM
No. The system would be empty, but it's self purging.

The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel surrounding it. Repeatedly running low on fuel (or running out of fuel) can potentially damage the pump.

kaceyseldo
01-05-14, 10:42 AM
Self purging????

MoistCabbage
01-05-14, 10:50 AM
Yes, as in it doesn't require bleeding if run dry. Fuel is pumped, under pressure, in a loop from the tank, to the rail, and back to the tank. Turning the key to the ON position a few times, and allowing the pump to run, will purge everything of air.

kaceyseldo
01-05-14, 11:11 AM
Hells bells!!!! New info every day!!!

caddy1994
01-05-14, 08:00 PM
I did check the pressure at the rail it was at a steady 40 psi so I put some fuel injector cleaner in and see if maybe it is just a clogged injector or do u have anyother suggestions on what I can do its the first time I ever ran out of gas in it anymore help would be great

Ranger
01-05-14, 09:55 PM
Fuel injector cleaner was probably a waste of money.

How old are your plug wires?

drewsdeville
01-06-14, 04:58 PM
What I've run into on occasion is that running out of fuel lets the fuel pump pick up all of the accumulated junk at the very bottom of the tank - filling the sock, filter, and even injector baskets on occasion, depending on what was in the tank and the condition of the filters. Your static 40psi reading doesn't necessarily mean you have decent flow under all conditions.

Most in the industry will, at the very least, recommend replacing the fuel filter after running out of fuel, which you've done. However, the resulting misfire is very coincidental and I can't help but wonder if any garbage has made it up to the injectors.

Ranger
01-06-14, 10:20 PM
What I've run into on occasion is that running out of fuel lets the fuel pump pick up all of the accumulated junk at the very bottom of the tank - filling the sock, filter, and even injector baskets on occasion, depending on what was in the tank and the condition of the filters. Your static 40psi reading doesn't necessarily mean you have decent flow under all conditions.
Good point. Especially the strainer sock.

Most in the industry will, at the very least, recommend replacing the fuel filter after running out of fuel, which you've done. However, the resulting misfire is very coincidental and I can't help but wonder if any garbage has made it up to the injectors.
I can't imagine anything getting past the strainer AND the filter.

drewsdeville
01-07-14, 09:36 PM
Hard to imagine, but it does happen during extreme circumstances such as running out of fuel. In fact, every injector even has it's own filter to help protect them (these are replaceable, by the way).

Here's a section view of the Multecs we are all using. Notice the filter at the top:

http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Basics%20Root%20Folder/Images/Fuel%20Injector3.jpg