: why do people tell me northstars are junk?

Jenny1206
10-31-03, 02:02 PM
Hi, I'm Jenny. How's everyone? Peachy? Good! I'm kind of new here.

But down to business: I'm buying an eldorado in November, when I find the right deal. I'm real excited about it, even though it'll be an earlier year - I don't care which year, as long as it has the Northstar engine, that's all I care about. In fact, I get so excited, it comes up often in conversation and I get people that tell me caddy's aren't as good as people think they are. I have a chevy right now, and they compare it to that because it's GM...tards. But I figured you people would know the most about it through experience.

I'd like to know if I should be worried about what people are saying. I really think, from my reading and researching, that the northstar is top quality compared to lots of others - I read it was rated one of the top 10 best in north america, causing me to be highly optimistic, but should I be thinking twice? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

the Sandman
10-31-03, 02:16 PM
Hey Jenny - Welcome to the CadillacForums! The Northstar Eldorados are great cars - I'm sure you'll be happy with one *if* you are choosy about which one you get. Basically, you want to find one in excellent condition with documentation of all routine maintenance being performed when recommended. Ideally, you should get one that has an exteneded warranty available - they are expensive to fix should anything go wrong. They are great cars to own and drive as long as they are well taken care of.

Thanks for registering. Enjoy the Board and let us know if you have more questions.

Katshot
10-31-03, 02:31 PM
Hey Jenny,
There ARE some unfortunate issues surrounding the Northstar engine, and Cadillac in general. And there ARE significant numbers of dissatisfied customers because of it. The problems seem to stem from a reluctance on GM's part to address the problems quickly and resolve them thoroughly. Hence the SAME problems have plagued the SAME cars for entirely TOO LONG. This is one BIG reason why the resale values on Cadillacs are so low. Lesson #1 never buy a brand new Cadillac. Wait a year or two and buy a "virtually" new car for damn near half price. The cars are basically nice cars but the overall quality is NOT QUITE what one would expect from the brand. On the up-side, Cadillac DOES offer a package that virtually no one else does. A FWD car that is not only one of the most "technically" advanced cars in the world but, it provides gobs of American luxury which translates to "tons o' toys" and a ride that's just this side of a La-Z-Boy.

elwesso
10-31-03, 10:18 PM
The eldo is a great car..... I drool whenever I see one, thats partly why I carry a towel in my car..... :D Not really.... :)

Anyway, be VERY choosey about which one you choose... Be VERY patient..... Make sure all the maintenace is good, and if it doesnt have a maintenance history AND carfax, dont buy it, unless it comes with an extended warranty..... Depending on your budget, I couldnt afford to chance a cadillac without a warranty.... Everything is just too dang expensive!!! If you can DIY, that will save a LOT of money, as a lot of jobs are more time consuming than actually HARD per se......

Just keep us informed on what you are looking at, and we should be able to tell you if its good or bad!!!

Also, if you get an eldo, you have to post pictures!!!!

Ralph
11-01-03, 01:37 AM
Kat, if no one ever bought a NEW Caddy, they wouldn't exist, but I hear what you are saying, and it concerns depreciation. Still, there is nothing like a NEW car. (didn't you buy a new Aviator?)

I am leary of anything that was leased, they were most likely abused. The people that drive them just don't really care about the car. IMO! Personally, if I could afford a new car, that's what I would buy. You may save money buying anything used, but if it was abused, you will pay more in the end, despite how much of a discount you got. Maintenance is always the key, but unfortunately, you may never know what you are buying if it is used.

Oh yea, welcome aboard. :)

Katshot
11-01-03, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I bought a new Aviator. But the Aviator was bought as a "company" car so used wouldn't cut it, and besides, the Aviator is new for '03 so if you want one, it's gotta be new and the Lincoln holds it's value WAY better than a Cadillac. ;)
Plus, when I said don't buy a NEW Cadillac, I meant it sure doesn't make sense from an investment stand point.

elwesso
11-01-03, 10:31 AM
I wouldnt buy an off lease car unless I knew who owned it first (IE old people, middle aged, etc)..... Especailly after knowing what WE do to it..... Redline shifts after 2 mins of running!!!! Gotta love it!!

Mikethegreeat
11-01-03, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I bought a new Aviator. But the Aviator was bought as a "company" car so used wouldn't cut it, and besides, the Aviator is new for '03 so if you want one, it's gotta be new and the Lincoln holds it's value WAY better than a Cadillac. ;)
Plus, when I said don't buy a NEW Cadillac, I meant it sure doesn't make sense from an investment stand point.

invesment?a house is an investment not a car pal, cadillacs may have some bad resale value, but dont go telling people lincolns are better, because there not... Lincoln can't even compete with Cadillac anymore, btw...any car you drive off the lot the second you buy it the value goes down so fast you wouldnt believe it! excluding ..porsche lambo...etc

elwesso
11-01-03, 01:58 PM
Ok..... PAL.... he meant from a FINANCIAL standpoint....... And Lincolns DO hold their value better...... Cant deny that PAL.....

the Sandman
11-01-03, 02:27 PM
An investment is: the outlay of money usually for income or profit : capital outlay...so it's always a "financial" matter.

A house is an appreciating asset, while an automobile is a depreciating asset. I think that's what we're getting at here. Katshot was simply saying the rate of depreciation of the Lincoln is less than the rate of depreciation of the Cadillac. I don't know whether he's right or wrong on that - if anyone has some *factual* data on this issue now would be a good time to bring it up.

I'm developing a theory that Cadillac purposely manipulates the price of new and used Cadillacs so that people can get into the used ones for a very low price. Why? Well, they make their money on the new ones, and putting someone into a used Cadillac is probably the best way to create a future new Cadillac buyer.

Slick Black Cadillac
11-01-03, 02:50 PM
If you want to do a resale test go to Kelly's Blue Book's web site. Enter in a Cadillac select the options you want and the condition then enter a Lincoln, same year, mileage, options, ect. and compare their values. You'll find that Katshot is correct. As the years go on in the comparison the Lincolns depreceiate at a much slower rate than the Cadillac's. I'm a huge Cadillac affectoinere but I also own a 91 Town Car and I will get better turn around in the Lincoln when it comes time to sell.

BeelzeBob
11-01-03, 03:59 PM
Jeez. "Pal" always has a hint of sarcasm in it these days.. Please, be nice to one another. We all mean well here. Okay? Let's not get into fights and name-calling battles.

Otherwise.. Jenny.. Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up! Take a look at the Eldorado (link) in my signature. That car had over 110,000 miles when I sold it - and the Northstar ran absolutely perfectly - I mean BRAND new. Note how the car looked brand-new as well.. It was maintained meticulously.. And it ran just as good as it looked. The engine never had a problem besides a leak which was repaired under warranty at about 95,000 miles..

If the Eldorado you're looking for has a decent amount of service records, is clean IN and OUT, and runs great - you've probably got a winner. Not to say unexpected things can't happen.. My advice? TRY to get yourself into a '95 ETC. That's the first year things really started looking best - and they stayed that way until the very end. In '96, the dash changed a bit - nothing BIG deal - but if you can get into a '96, that's even better...

Also, not saying the older models are anything to laugh-off.. My younger Brother bought a '93 or '94 and it was very, very nice...

GERMEEZY1
11-03-03, 01:40 AM
Are you stupid or sick......no lincoln holds its value better than a caddy. Hey wait a navigator does.............not!!

GERMEEZY1
11-03-03, 01:44 AM
invesment?a house is an investment not a car pal, cadillacs may have some bad resale value, but dont go telling people lincolns are better, because there not... Lincoln can't even compete with Cadillac anymore, btw...any car you drive off the lot the second you buy it the value goes down so fast you wouldnt believe it! excluding ..porsche lambo...etc
I can't believe people think a lincoln holds its value better. The escalade has alot better resale value than the navigator. Besides if you bought a ****ing aviator you better get your change. Oh I am so sorry, they did not tell you they are getting discontinued? Because of slow sales what
a modern day lincoln blackwood.

BeelzeBob
11-03-03, 02:09 AM
Duuuude! Be nice!! We're not here to do battle with eachother...

Ralph
11-03-03, 02:19 AM
They only produced about 850 Blackwoods if I remember correctly, so my guess is they will be a valuable collectable someday. Don't be so hard on Kat, we all have an opinion, and he has a lot of experience. Personally, I think the Aviator is just the right size, with good power for the weight ratio. I was disappointed to hear they will be discontinued. As for depreciation, I feel both Lincoln and Cadillac drop rapidly the first few years, then tend to hold better value after that. With Japanese or other imports, they seem to hold the first few years, THEN drop quickly in value. Over the years I've noticed this as the first section in the newspaper I read is always the "Drive Section," comparing prices, etc.

elwesso
11-03-03, 04:45 PM
Ralph.... This is a very good observation, and I agree now that you mention it......

Dubya
11-03-03, 07:25 PM
not trying to get in the middle of somthing......but CONTINENTALS don't hold there value worth CRAP either, usually a little cheaper than a similiar sts, if not the same. Price a mark viii??? even cheaper, they go for 3-5k easy. even the second gens on those go for pretty cheap.

97 sevilles are pretty cheap, thats becuase the 98's are a new style, the price difference between a 97 and 98 is huge. like 11k to 19k. no offense to the older style owners becuase i love the pre 98's, but of course the older style is cheap, the style is outdated. 97 ETC's seem to cost a little more than 97 STS's. same with the mark viii, 97's are alot more $$$ than 96's, both are still cheap.

about the only american cars that seem to hold there values decently are pickups.

ljklaiber
11-03-03, 08:15 PM
Ya'll should go create your fat Lincoln site... From Mr infiniti to all you Ford lovers..KMA

My Seville is the best ride I ever had and at 63. I been ridin longer than all you puppies put together. Just go make your Ass available at Ford or Nissan......BYE! May I have my Caddy site?

ljk 95 sls 139770 miles

Katshot
11-03-03, 08:46 PM
Obviously, age doesn't necessarily bring maturity. :rolleyes:

ljklaiber
11-04-03, 07:39 AM
Obviously, age doesn't necessarily bring maturity. :rolleyes:
:banghead2
Right you are, but it got your attention. :cowboy:

Greg Thomas
11-04-03, 09:08 AM
I wonder how average down time and repair bills would compare to most any car on the road. My 96 Deville (130,000 miles and want 200.000+ mi.)will be the last Caddy I own because some little something is always going wrong plus I hate the 1 qt/1000 mile thing. It has plenty of power, gets good gas mileage, the exterior body is solid and the basic motor seems strong but it is about as dependable as the '65 Voltswagon I had in the early '80s. Plus the seat leather is inferior, the interior is shoddy, the rear veiw mirror sucks and it has an enormous blind spot on the driver's side. I want something that is dependable, comfortable, able to get high mileage and cheap. Caddy had fit my needs(almost 20 years) good until this one. Image that is not backed up by quality means nothing to me. There won't be tears from fond memories when my piece of junk is gone.

Opinions are like ****holes-everyone has one----that is mine.

Greg

Katshot
11-04-03, 02:15 PM
Greg,
Unfortunately, Cadillac has suffered through entirely TOO MANY stories like yours over the last 20 or so years. That is the single biggest reason why they are no longer the "standard of the world" in automotive excellence. They are trying hard to get back there, and have made some good solid steps in the last couple years. Only time will tell if they can get back to where they once were. IMO, it will take a LONG time because the most important part of what they had was based on years and years of great reputation and THAT is nothing you can put back in place in a couple years. It will take years of consistent effort and good customer service.

ljklaiber
11-04-03, 02:29 PM
Greg,
Unfortunately, Cadillac has suffered through entirely TOO MANY stories like yours over the last 20 or so years. That is the single biggest reason why they are no longer the "standard of the world" in automotive excellence. They are trying hard to get back there, and have made some good solid steps in the last couple years. Only time will tell if they can get back to where they once were. IMO, it will take a LONG time because the most important part of what they had was based on years and years of great reputation and THAT is nothing you can put back in place in a couple years. It will take years of consistent effort and good customer service.

Kevin.

Thanks for posting . I feel I owe you and most all the young guys, an apology for blowin off like I did. It is your world now, and like my 1st Sgt said, "Ya oughta get shot just like these ol K9 Dogs. Yer gonna be hell of a problem back home" Guess I never really left the Nam. Apologies to All!

ljk

elwesso
11-04-03, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately also, cadillac picked a really bad time to decline...... 89 was when Lexus and Infiniti started up, and in the mid 90s was when they became more popular.... Before they came along, there really wasnt anyone else in the luxuary (without going super exotic) market besides cadillac, lincoln, BMW, and MB... Id say up until the 4100, cadillac was pretty much the standard..... Now, Lexus seems to be the standard for everyone.....

Id love to see cadillac back on top where they should be.... They have a better heritage than any other car company around, and it would be a shame to see it go under.......

Katshot
11-04-03, 09:47 PM
I agree Wes. Unfortunately, I had first-hand experience with several Cadillac executives for several years and that is why I adopted such a poor opinion of Cadillac. I can tell you that for most of the years I had dealings with Cadillac, there was NO TRUE COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE FROM CADILLAC EXECUTIVES. Most engineers I knew really wanted to build a better car but were strangled by their bosses. It was a shame really. :(

elwesso
11-04-03, 09:50 PM
That is too bad......

It has to be a terrible feeling being an engineer, who worked really hard to design something, and then not be able to perfect it...... It would sicken me to go around and see so many problems with an engine I designed......

If I were an engine designer, Id be damn sure it last for as long as possible..... And not have design or assembly flaws like the northstar!!!!!

miishmiish
11-06-03, 07:41 PM
If you want to do a resale test go to Kelly's Blue Book's web site. Enter in a Cadillac select the options you want and the condition then enter a Lincoln, same year, mileage, options, ect. and compare their values. You'll find that Katshot is correct. As the years go on in the comparison the Lincolns depreceiate at a much slower rate than the Cadillac's. I'm a huge Cadillac affectoinere but I also own a 91 Town Car and I will get better turn around in the Lincoln when it comes time to sell.
I definitely agree. I have owned a 97 concours, a 99 town car and a 95 mark Viii. I don't think any car is really an asset, but more of a liability since they cost us money, not make us money. Katshot is definitly right and the Kelly Blue Book is helpful too. But you could just pick up your weekly paper and glance at the prices. All American luxury cars depreciate faster than anything I personally have seen and that is why I buy them used; you get a nice car for cheap. I know you all will kill me for saying this, but I think lincoln makes a better car- but strictly in the sense of maintainence. They are simpler cars that seem to malfunction less because they don't have all that complicated useless "techno-wizardry". The caddies on the other hand, are more stylish (to me) and definitely far more luxurious (lincolns have that cheapy ford feeling to them) but they put in so many high tech features. If they put them in correctly and used higher quality parts that did not break all the time, the cars would cost double (but probably hold their value longer). This relates to the Sandmans reply and i think Caddilac wants people to buy these used cars not because they hope you will turn around and buy a new one, but because they make so much damn money on the repairs. Mercedes and BMW replacement parts are cheaper than Cadillacs when purchased from the dealerships, and so are many of the service costs. These are just my opinions (I used to own a 2000 ML320) but still good points. We don't have to be sarcastic and call each other "Pal" guys. We are here to help each other. Some lincolns, like the mark viii, lose their value faster than an eldorado, but devilles lose their value faster than the town cars. They both have shitty resale and the the moral of the story is not to buy them new; leave it to the old folks with money. Either way, I sold my Benz when the warranty almost ended and bought the caddy for less than 1/3 of selling price. In the future, I will only buy Cadillac (preferred) if it comes with warranty, and Lincoln otherwise.

elwesso
11-06-03, 07:59 PM
Thats a good point.... And I agree......

Thats what makes cadillac--- cadillac....... They have all the latest techno-gadgets and features...... Lincolns are simpler..... No one can say that ford cant make good drivetrains, cuz in vegas I saw 2 cabs (a crown vic and an explorer) with 300k+.... One was almost to 400k.....! Obviously I dont know the whole story, but if it was costing that much to keep going the company would have stopped using it.......

This is why I think Japanese cars OVERALL are better.... They dont seem to have styling down, but they do know how to design luxury cars with LOTS of techno wizardry and they dont break.....

I do notice that all ford products have the cheapo feeling (although i havent ridden in the new town car or the avaitor/ navigator).......

A lot of service costs are due to the fact that all cadillacs with the northstar (probably a VERY large percentage of cadillacs 94-today), and FWD transverse engines are more tedious to work on the correctly mounted RWD engines..... most of MB and BMW cars are RWD......

That doesnt explain parts costs, and I may differ on you, as BMW parts are astronomical... Think about it, they gotta ship em over here from germany....... Maybe for the 3 series, but for the 540 or 7 series.... I doubt it........

People think that the northstar just has problem after problem, and there all really expensive.... This isnt the case, but people most times prefer to bring out the bad and cover the good...... Why do you think lexus has a good reputation..... They may have somewhat less problems, but its not gonna be a HUGE difference...... Im saying also on an overall basis.......

I dare you to find an engine that doesnt have 1 major quirk!!!! Every engine has its thing, but it depends on the severity..... Ill give you couple examples.... We all know the northstars problems...... On the 90-93 Q45, the VH45DE engine used plastic timing chain guides, and if they failed the chain would jump teeth and the piston would play patty cake with the valves.... not pretty......

The problem with the cadillacs is that they seem to nickel and dime you to death...... The drivetrain is solid, and GM makes some of the best trannys around today......

Ultra Slow
11-07-03, 05:35 PM
This is written in reply to.... "why do people tell me that nortstars are junk" I am posting this here too as I think it is a good insite on the car that everyone here loves and why cadillacs have a bit of bad air about them.

The Northstar is far from junk as with most cadillacs. The biggest problem with cadillacs from cradel to grave are simply the owners..... If you compare a cadillac to a car like a mercedes or BMW, you will find that the average german car owner is more of a car enthusiast than any cadillac owner. Being that, they tend to take better care of the cars. The average mercedes makes it to the dealer 3 times more than the average cadillac in 100,000 miles.

Cadillac people are very cheap as whole... One of the biggest surveys from cadillac is the fact that the owners dont want to have to spend a bunch on money on new tires... Thats your reson for having cheapo tires on cadillacs like STS that are completely capable of going 150MPH, but limited because cadillac people dont want expensive tires..... Also not having options like "AMG" or "M" that make the names for German cars, is a problem too. I think this is going to be resolved with the "V" series Caterea with a 6 speed and LS6 (wow) and putting a base V-6 in cars that "aunt betty" would buy and leaving the incredible Nortstar as an option as it should have been like "AMG", etc.

Now the biggest problem with cadillac is resale.... New cadillac buyers (aunt betty) tend to literally give their used cars away... Making a great deal for those that buy them second hand and really understand the car! but this also makes every other car worth far less in the used market than, in many cases, a stripped V-6 300,000 mile pickup. This makes the car 100% undesirable for those that have a bit of money and want a car for a "status" symbol. Some just love the cars like myself and most forum members, but as a whole these give away deals tend to put older cadillacs in the hands of bargain shoppers that cannot take care of the car over time. These people are really buying a car way above thier means simply because its a dirt deal. People that should be buying a car like a Saturn, are buying a few year old cadillac instead and cannot afford to do anything else to the car. If it loses a hub cap... It stays that way.... If the AC goes out, the windows come down... These people do not keep up with the car and its a testiment to cadillac to see that these type of cars are even running! Having these old cadillacs run around with fillers missing, dented all up and basically a running wreck, makes them a bit of a joke when you see them on the street like this, generating comments just like this topic. I cant tell you the snied comments I get from others simply because I like the cars... I have 17 cars and I get... Nice cars, but what the hell is that doing in here, pointing a finger at my perfect condition 1980 cadillac.

Other things that hurt cadillac are "inherited" cars. There are so many cadillacs that get inherited by younger family members who cant wait to get rid of the car, even though its the best car they have ever had. They would rather give "aunt bettys" old, low mile, mint cadillac away for dirt than to sell their 300,000 mile honda and keep the cadillac..... This also hurts resale as this is done all the time.

Cadillac has got to change their market appeal and find something that holds a bit of resale or they will always look like a second class car no matter how good the car is.

This is cadillac in nutshell.....

the Sandman
11-08-03, 09:51 AM
Here's an informative write-up of the Northstar engine (http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us100232.htm). <---Click link

elwesso
11-08-03, 10:02 AM
Funny, how that link is STILL at the top of my bookmarks!!!

epanightmare
11-09-03, 01:17 AM
Hi, I'm Jenny. How's everyone? Peachy? Good! I'm kind of new here.

But down to business: I'm buying an eldorado in November, when I find the right deal. I'm real excited about it, even though it'll be an earlier year - I don't care which year, as long as it has the Northstar engine, that's all I care about. In fact, I get so excited, it comes up often in conversation and I get people that tell me caddy's aren't as good as people think they are. I have a chevy right now, and they compare it to that because it's GM...tards. But I figured you people would know the most about it through experience.

I'd like to know if I should be worried about what people are saying. I really think, from my reading and researching, that the northstar is top quality compared to lots of others - I read it was rated one of the top 10 best in north america, causing me to be highly optimistic, but should I be thinking twice? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I work on cars for a living and I think the northstars are great engines, they have an allmost bulit proof bottom end as long as you keep oil in it..but the one reoccuring problem that i have seen with these motors so many times is that they blow head gaskets if they are not taken care of. maybe it's abuse or maybe it's lack of maintence but they do blow, usally between 120k-160k miles any insite on this:suspense:

epanightmare
11-09-03, 01:35 AM
This is written in reply to.... "why do people tell me that nortstars are junk" I am posting this here too as I think it is a good insite on the car that everyone here loves and why cadillacs have a bit of bad air about them.

The Northstar is far from junk as with most cadillacs. The biggest problem with cadillacs from cradel to grave are simply the owners..... If you compare a cadillac to a car like a mercedes or BMW, you will find that the average german car owner is more of a car enthusiast than any cadillac owner. Being that, they tend to take better care of the cars. The average mercedes makes it to the dealer 3 times more than the average cadillac in 100,000 miles.

Cadillac people are very cheap as whole... One of the biggest surveys from cadillac is the fact that the owners dont want to have to spend a bunch on money on new tires... Thats your reson for having cheapo tires on cadillacs like STS that are completely capable of going 150MPH, but limited because cadillac people dont want expensive tires..... Also not having options like "AMG" or "M" that make the names for German cars, is a problem too. I think this is going to be resolved with the "V" series Caterea with a 6 speed and LS6 (wow) and putting a base V-6 in cars that "aunt betty" would buy and leaving the incredible Nortstar as an option as it should have been like "AMG", etc.

Now the biggest problem with cadillac is resale.... New cadillac buyers (aunt betty) tend to literally give their used cars away... Making a great deal for those that buy them second hand and really understand the car! but this also makes every other car worth far less in the used market than, in many cases, a stripped V-6 300,000 mile pickup. This makes the car 100% undesirable for those that have a bit of money and want a car for a "status" symbol. Some just love the cars like myself and most forum members, but as a whole these give away deals tend to put older cadillacs in the hands of bargain shoppers that cannot take care of the car over time. These people are really buying a car way above thier means simply because its a dirt deal. People that should be buying a car like a Saturn, are buying a few year old cadillac instead and cannot afford to do anything else to the car. If it loses a hub cap... It stays that way.... If the AC goes out, the windows come down... These people do not keep up with the car and its a testiment to cadillac to see that these type of cars are even running! Having these old cadillacs run around with fillers missing, dented all up and basically a running wreck, makes them a bit of a joke when you see them on the street like this, generating comments just like this topic. I cant tell you the snied comments I get from others simply because I like the cars... I have 17 cars and I get... Nice cars, but what the hell is that doing in here, pointing a finger at my perfect condition 1980 cadillac.

Other things that hurt cadillac are "inherited" cars. There are so many cadillacs that get inherited by younger family members who cant wait to get rid of the car, even though its the best car they have ever had. They would rather give "aunt bettys" old, low mile, mint cadillac away for dirt than to sell their 300,000 mile honda and keep the cadillac..... This also hurts resale as this is done all the time.

Cadillac has got to change their market appeal and find something that holds a bit of resale or they will always look like a second class car no matter how good the car is.

This is cadillac in nutshell.....

great point. If you properly maintane a car it should in theory last forever but if you beat the car like a rented mule and neglect it , it'll fall apart:bonkers:

Jesda
11-11-03, 05:08 AM
How much is a head gasket replacement job usually, P&L?

ljklaiber
11-11-03, 04:11 PM
This is second time around,.... Caddy Engineer on a defunct site blew me off because I told him that alloy engines should use head studs. Aluminum grows a lot more that iron. Out of 732 Comp engines I built before retirement..67 were all alloy Chevies. We have experts here that may not own a micrometer or know how to 'mike' bearing clearance.

Don't blame Cadillac all the time. Ask ARP online about stud kits. The stud , when installed with an inch pound torque wrench
, is a vertical pull. ALL bolts are twisted to torque. That is why aluminm will thank you for Studs.

Good Luck! and don't think ya can build a good engine without a whole box full of tools...lol

elwesso
11-11-03, 05:10 PM
Hey, your back..... :)

It usually is around 1800-2500, depending on who does it (dealer or independent shop).....

Jesda
11-13-03, 07:43 AM
Jesus. Is that because you have to remove the powertrain? It was $500 on my 1988 Mazda 929.

:(

UNCLEMIKEY
03-19-06, 06:20 AM
I bought my 97 eldo in dec.2004 60k original miles from a buy here pay here place that I also have bought some of my fleet of used work vans from for 8500.00 because i was financing part of it they made me buy a warrantee at a cost of 1000.00 and i am thankful they did. I fell in love with the car for its sporty look but never made it home from the dealer as it overheated the dealer had to replace head gaskets and in the process they ruined the heads so they put new heads on as well.Because I have been a good cust.they offered for me to pick out another car or refund my money in full,I decided at the advise of my mechanic to keep the car since everything on top end was new. This was the best decision I have made about cars the eldo. now has 80,000 mis. and is a really sweet ride I had flowmasters put on it and it sounds hot when stepping on it. The warrantee came in handy when I blew up the trany and the flywheel cracked paid in full by the warrantee. My advise is to pickout the nicest eldo.you can find and get yourself a warrantee I just renewed mine cause I know when a rice burner or one of the pony cars pulls up next to me with those exhaust that sound like a long fart I am gonna push the eldo.to its limits. All I can say is buy it,drive it hard and enjoy the ride and the comments you will get about how good your eldo. looks. Good luck in your eldo.hunting.
If I could figure out how I will post a picture of my eldo.

1993 eldorado green1
03-19-06, 12:53 PM

ohhhhh i dont know about that now, wait a minute now my 1995 lincoln continental with only 80k miles, no air suspention, garged kept in great shape is only worth about 3000

my 95 eldorado with some scratches here and there seems to be worth between 4-5 grand.

ive had both and i strongly dissagree with this statment but thats only my opinion...

danbuc
03-19-06, 02:30 PM
Are you guys serious? This thread has been dead for well over 2 years. DO you really think it's just gonna pick back up after you make one response? Half the people who originally posted in this thread are no longer here and haven't been for over a year. Digging up these ancient threads is getting kind of annoying. Just an observation of mine, but I'm damn sure I'm not the only person who has noticed.

AlBundy
03-19-06, 10:17 PM
Yes I also noticed alot of dead threads coming back to life.

Zorb750
03-19-06, 10:21 PM
Why would you want to dig that far back anyway? Just pose the question again.

Night Wolf
03-20-06, 12:44 AM
Newbies.

They run the search, find a thread that matches what they were talking about.... then reply... and its years old...

talk about bringing a dead thread back tho....