: exhaust volume

syhnthetik
06-15-05, 06:52 AM
I just had two Dynomax Super Turbos installed. I absolutely love the exhaust tone they have, they are exactly what I was looking for in that area. However, they are a little bit quiter that I would like. They are barely louder than stock. Would removing the resonator add the minor volume gain I am looking for? Or would it make it quite a bit louder? I only want it to be a little louder, not a whole lot.

mtflight
06-15-05, 11:08 AM
I think it would get a lot louder, but there's only one way to find out how loud that gets. How much were your Dynomax?

I just test-drove the Bonneville GXP with a Northstar and performance-tuned exhaust. It has a snarly burble, and I'd love to accomplish that sound.

Bbobynski said on here it is one of the best handling FWD cars, and after driving it, I have to agree. It feels a lot tighter and lighter accelerating off the line and braking, although it's heavier than my Eldo. I think the Eldo ETC is louder and faster at WOT, but not as loud or fast all the other times (prolly the lighter weight and 300 hp).

How long are your mufflers? My ETC has 20" mufflers (so it's quiet!). If you want louder, get shorter mufflers... if you want a more throaty sound, then don't get turbos, get straight-pipe mufflers like MagnaFlows...

syhnthetik
06-15-05, 02:51 PM
I have the 14" mufflers I bought them on ebay for $50 for the pair. I was hoping that I could find someone with these same mufflers and no resonator to tell me how loud their car was. I don't want straight through mufflers, I LOVE the sound of the turbo mufflers, I just want it to be a little bit louder.

davesdeville
06-16-05, 04:25 AM
I like my Magnaflows just fine. Woodshoe has Magnaflows and later took off his resonator, so maybe he will chime in. If it's not much louder I'll probably take it off as well, or maybe I'll just go with a pre-cat cutout.

mcf1000x2003
06-18-05, 09:42 PM
i have magnaflows but i put on some z28 tips and it made it a little louder i think by removing the resanator u will cause more of a vibrating sound in the interior.I also heard upgrading the cat to a hiflow cat made a big diffrence in sound

WoodShoe
06-20-05, 08:27 AM
I had the same experiance as you. Just the aftermarket mufflers were pretty quiet. (In comparison to other vehicles with exhaust) Which is what I was going for in the begining. I was worried a cadillac would sound funny loud. Then I removed the resonator and replaced my cat with a a high flow. wow, plug your ears :D. I was initially worried about removing the resonator, but there is no buzzing/humming/droaning.

If u want to see a couple of videos, they are on daves website.

So in conclusion N*Exhaust + Mufflers = quiet; quiet - resonator + cat = LOUD. and if LOUD = GOOD then (- resonator + cat) = GOOD :cookoo: anyhow

syhnthetik
06-20-05, 09:34 AM
Did you do the resonator and the cat at the same time?

WoodShoe
06-20-05, 11:32 AM
Sorry, I thought I mentioned that. Yes I did them both at once. So I cant really tell u if the resonator did that much difference. I would say with the new cat, and the resonator removed its about 3-5x louder than it was with just the mufflers...The whole setup definately makes a 'world' of difference in performance. I beat stock STS's by about 6 car lenghts plus from 100-210Km/h (60-130mph) as compared 2 our 1995 STS...which is considerable for a street race....I had one STS owner ask me how much the supercharger cost me, after a couple of 'light 2 lights'.....It really is 2 bad no one does ECU tuning on these cars, I think there is enough people on this forum to start the market....Anyway, Enjoy your mufflers :farting: