: '01 STS Piston and Ring Replacement

tripowerbird
06-14-05, 08:48 PM
First off, before I even purchased my í01 STS, I read all about oil consumption, pros and cons, fixes and such and decided that it was something I could deal with regardless. Having said that I bought mine with 25K miles less than a year ago. While the car ran excellent I found that I was using approximately 1qt every 981 miles. (6255 miles, 6.375 qts used). Iím pretty fanatical about keeping records of every vehicle I own. Nothing inconsistent with the reports of 1qt per 1K found within this forum. I did all of the typical full throttle highway stuff in 2nd gear and never had any luck reducing the oil consumption problem in the first 11K miles I drove it. I figured Iíd just live with it. It was in the Cadillac dealership for some unrelated warranty work and received a call later that day asking if I noticed the knocking the car exhibited while cold. Since the car is so quiet it was no surprise I didnít. The dealer said that they needed to replace all of the pistons and rings due to this condition in order to fix it. The service writer said that my warranty would be up in a little over a month and they wanted to take care of it before that occurred. They also mentioned that it would reduce oil consumption if that was a problem. Funny thing is I didnít buy the car from this Cadillac franchise dealer (I purchased from an independent used car dealer) and I never mentioned anything related to the piston knock or oil consumption concerns to the Cadillac dealer during previous service work. This was something they volunteered. I got an 05 Deville as a loaner and had the work done. Needless to say it was worth it. The car is dead quite at cold start and idle plus there has been zero movement of the oil level on the dipstick in the 3500+ miles driven since the work was done. I drive it just as hard as before and would have noticed if the oil consumption was still at the levels of before. Some of the threads have declared taking a factory built motor apart is asking for problems but I disagree in my case. The dealer bent over backward for me, fixed a problem I didnít even complain about and the engine doesnít leak a drop of fluid. Maybe Iím lucky but Iím glad I did it before the warranty expired. I canít even imagine the bill if it had been out.

Chris

JimD
06-14-05, 10:41 PM
You might consider taking the service adviser and the mechanic that performed the work out to the best resturant in town as a 'thank you'. I mean, treat them to a big time celebration evening meal......

dhs
06-14-05, 11:09 PM
You might consider taking the service adviser and the mechanic that performed the work out to the best resturant in town as a 'thank you'. I mean, treat them to a big time celebration evening meal......

I don't want to sound paranoid or anything, but a ring replacement at 35k? How can they possibly wear out so quickly?

I wouldn't buy them a bag of chips. They got more then enough from the warranty, for what most likely was an uneccessary repair.

greggbruce
06-15-05, 08:11 PM
being from a dealer in the past, I would say you have found some people that actually care about you and your car, which is somewhat of a dwindling thing these days. It doesn't matter if you bought from your next door neighbor, they still warranty the CAR.
warranty work is not THAT great for a tech (he gets paid less time for the same warranty repair than he does for a non-warranty repair), the dealer gets paid less, and GM can refuse re-imbursement to the dealer for the repair if they find there is anything that is wrong with even how the paperwork is filled out. I have seen 20,000 and 30,000 dollar chargebacks from GM to a dealer before, it is not a pretty thing for a service manager.

and I bet if you buy them dinner, they would freak out, because I have never seen that before, they would be beside themselves.....
and I bet you will get spectacular service from now on....
there's always a little of "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" going on.
oh, I'll bet money the repair totaled about $3500....

tripowerbird
01-30-06, 08:02 PM
Well it's been 20,000 miles since the piston/ring replacement (I just hit 58K miles) with zero oil consumption and zero coolant loss. I check the oil weekly and change it every 5K miles. A little better than the quart usage every thousand miles. Maybe I just got lucky or the dealer really knew what they were talking about.

eldorado1
01-30-06, 09:18 PM
awesome. I like freebies.

Patrick7997
01-30-06, 10:01 PM
Great follow up, thanks.

Great story to hear. Sometimes all we hear is the bad stuff....

I'd take 'em out to dinner. At least offer to. If a technician does a good job on my car, I've been known to slide him $20.

It's difficult to find people you can trust. These guys really did you right, from the sound of it. They'd get all my business from now on. And I'd ask for that same technician to do all the work on your car, also.

jadcock
01-31-06, 10:26 AM
That's great to hear. They did Timesert the engine when they removed the heads, right?

jarrall
01-31-06, 03:27 PM
I'd just like to chime in here with an almost identical story regarding my 2000 DTS. Took it into the dealer for unrelated issue and service writer asked me about the engine noise at cold starts. I had heard a little bit of what I thought was valve noise but it went away within 20-30 seconds. Ended up getting new pistons and rings plus time-serted heads at about 30k miles. I'm in a bit of a quandary over whether to keep this vehicle after major surgery or sell it and move on. Part of me feels unsure about a major tear-down of an engine. Will 1-2 WOT's a week keep this from happening again?

jarrall

davesdeville
02-01-06, 04:02 AM
I'd just like to chime in here with an almost identical story regarding my 2000 DTS. Took it into the dealer for unrelated issue and service writer asked me about the engine noise at cold starts. I had heard a little bit of what I thought was valve noise but it went away within 20-30 seconds. Ended up getting new pistons and rings plus time-serted heads at about 30k miles. I'm in a bit of a quandary over whether to keep this vehicle after major surgery or sell it and move on. Part of me feels unsure about a major tear-down of an engine. Will 1-2 WOT's a week keep this from happening again?

jarrall

Definately hang onto it. It's fairly bulletproof now...