: Aaaaaugh! My car is exposed to the worst of college drunks

weister42
06-14-05, 05:52 PM
I recently moved into an apartment complex that's very close to my campus(so I don't have to drive), but after living here for a few days I realized that all the cars in my lot has dents/scratches/damage from typical college abuse, then a friend told me the lot I'm in is the worst of all...totally no respect for other people's cars, parking is pretty much anywhere and everywhere, and drunk people drive home all the time. I just found a small door ding on my car that wasn't there before I moved in:madtalkin So before my car gets "collegified" what can I do? I have a garage to park my car in but the garage is a POS...no door, gravel driveway, steep curb, mud/water all over the floor everytime it rains and stays there...not to mention the garage/driveway itself almost doesn't even fit my car...

Ralph
06-14-05, 06:50 PM
I don't envy your situation. See if there is someone with a spot in their backyard, or driveway somewhere near where you live for rent or? Maybe check the classifieds for spots to rent??

I would sleep in my car if I were in that situation!

ben72227
06-14-05, 07:53 PM
Sleep in the car and when they come in late at night, hop out and rush at them with a shovel. Make sure you wear a scary mask too, and bang on their windshield/windows a bit. That should teach those whippersnappers a thing or two:sneaky:

MWA
06-14-05, 08:01 PM
Just do what I did in college, park the car a helluva long way off campus, pay no on campus parking sticker and retrieve it when needed for special occasions. Or even pay some little old lady to watch it in front of her house.....off campus parking slot on cul de sac....

Pete Benson
06-14-05, 09:33 PM
A friend of mine was in a similar situation with his '96 Eldorado. He "solved" the problem by covering it with three thick, heavy duty car covers at the same time. It was a pain in the butt taking them off and putting them back on but after the two years that he had to do this there was barely a mark on the car at all. Might be worth considering................

weister42
06-18-05, 02:00 AM
Well we just got a couple of newer cars in my lot...maybe I'll park by them and see if I like it

davesdeville
06-18-05, 07:27 AM
Get 10 cones, keep them in your trunk, and cone off the space on either side of your car. I actually did something like this, I wanted a spot in senior lot at school last year so I coned it off the afternoon before and it worked great.

weister42
06-20-05, 04:26 PM
Gentlemen, the worst has happened...:mad:

http://students.uwsp.edu/hlu328/damage.jpg

This happened 3 hours ago:bonkers: At least the girl left me a note and her number, man I hope she's got insurance or I'm gonna sue her:want:

powerglide
06-20-05, 04:43 PM
Good thing she left the number.....decent of her.....sorry.

Its kinda weird how you were pretty much expecting it.....and it happened.

Power of negative thinking perhaps.

Sorry 'bout the dent.

Night Wolf
06-20-05, 07:08 PM
Gentlemen, the worst has happened...:mad:

http://students.uwsp.edu/hlu328/damage.jpg

This happened 3 hours ago:bonkers: At least the girl left me a note and her number, man I hope she's got insurance or I'm gonna sue her:want:

girl?

maybe she could offer some "services" and you could "forget" about the dent?

grrr.... I am bad...

Ranger
06-20-05, 10:44 PM
you gotta give her credit for leaving a name and number. A lot of people would have just left you a dented fender. She wouldn't have left a name and number if she wasn't prepared to make good for it either by insurance or out of her own pocket. Sorry it happened but at least you weren't left holding the bag.

derrty_deville
06-21-05, 04:48 AM
get a few estimates and give her the highest one. plus a lil on the knees apology wont hurt so u dont sue. do be sure shes clean.
dam wi college girls. the mn ones are better and they can drink more.
ill be sure to pour a lil out for a fellow lac next time:drinker

weister42
06-21-05, 12:44 PM
Well...turns out she has insurance and her insurance company should come and give me an estimate within a week...does anyone know how much $$$ of a repair I'm looking at? It's the rear fender, bumper strips and the bumper strip light. I'm going to my repair shop today and I wanna make sure I don't get shorted.

It would be kinda sweet if I can get a few hundred out of it...:o

weister42
06-21-05, 03:36 PM
Okay the car shop says $684 with new paint and save the panel, is that a good deal? He says a new panel would be a $2,200 job.

powerglide
06-21-05, 04:07 PM
cuoldnt hurt to get another estimate.....I don't have any idea if that is a good price or not.....is this the same place that did your front fender?

weister42
06-21-05, 04:46 PM
Ya and they did a great job consider how dented the front was, so I fugure they should do a good job this time also.:cool:

I wish her insurnace quote me more money than I need:suspect:

powerglide
06-21-05, 04:57 PM
Ya and they did a great job consider how dented the front was, so I fugure they should do a good job this time also.:cool:

I wish her insurnace quote me more money than I need:suspect:

I dunno....doesn't it usual.y work the other way....the insurance comes in low?

Good luck

weister42
06-23-05, 12:15 AM
If it's lower than my quote then I'm goin to bitch at her insurance agent:madtalkin

Upon further inspection it looks like I can pop the panel back pretty easy, but I'm not sure if the paint will still be smooth...

powerglide
07-05-05, 11:41 PM
....so what happened?

weister42
07-06-05, 12:27 AM
I got an estimate, ~$746 for that "dent":eek: She was all surprised and I told her she should of never hit my car. I'm waiting for her insurance company to give me a response and hopefully this will go through smoothly.

powerglide
07-06-05, 12:49 AM
Sounds about right.....pretty close to the cost of that front fender you fixed.

weister42
07-06-05, 05:32 PM
I called her insurance company and they're going to mail me a check, it should get here within a week or so. I'm going to try to use that "pop a dent" tool and see how it looks after that, maybe I'll just keep the money;)

So someone threw up on my neighbor's car the other night...I'm seriously going to install a security camera aimed right at my car.