: Turbonator, Tornado????

Dejavu0187
06-14-05, 04:25 PM
Bottom line. Does this "crap" work??? Thinking of the intake and the path of traveling air, is the spiraling effect really gonna make it to the combustion chamber like they advertise. I'm "not" a believer. Won't the throttle plate kill the spiral???

mcowden
06-14-05, 04:45 PM
You answered your own question, didn't you? "Crap" and "'not' a believer" I think is exactly right. Those things are tried and proven useless time and again for many years. Maybe with a carburetor on an old car with a restrictive intake, you might see some kind of difference, but I don't even know if that would be positive. Any device that claims to save you money on fuel with only a simple modification would be standard equipment on cars if it worked. They're not standard equipment because they don't work. Save your money. As Bbobynski likes to say, put all of that equipment on your car, like the fuel line magnets, turbonator, Tornado, all the additives you can find, Teflon oil, all that stuff, and you'll get such awesome mileage that you'll have to drain the extra fuel out of the tank when it overflows.

Your gut instincts are right. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

mtflight
06-14-05, 05:20 PM
Actually it does work.

It is proven to do what it is designed to do, believe it or not.

The way it works, is by transferring money from your wallet into theirs. That's exactly what it is designed to do, and it does it very well.

Saving you fuel, or increasing power? nah.

As Ranger said on here, "P.T. Barnum would be proud."

Spyder
06-14-05, 06:29 PM
yea, but I'll sell you one for real cheap! :D

mtflight
06-14-05, 06:32 PM
yea, but I'll sell you one for real cheap! :D

How much? :shhh:

dhs
06-14-05, 07:44 PM
Actually the turbonator is a racers best kept secret. I saw a stock civic with like 10 turbonators run into the 8s! And on the second run the car was making so much power it busted the tires and melted the rims! Just put on at least 3 (3x60=180+300=480hp), but make sure your tranny can take the extreme power and torque. Don't forget some aerodynamic stickers, tthose should put you well above 500hp.
:histeric:

K2K
06-14-05, 08:06 PM
Actually the turbonator is a racers best kept secret. I saw a stock civic with like 10 turbonators run into the 8s! And on the second run the car was making so much power it busted the tires and melted the rims! Just put on at least 3 (3x60=180+300=480hp), but make sure your tranny can take the extreme power and torque. Don't forget some aerodynamic stickers, tthose should put you well above 500hp.
:histeric:

You'll need a giant spoiler to keep your car from flying into the air, too.

weister42
06-14-05, 08:16 PM
So why does this and those "gas magnets" continue to flourish? Can anyone give an official, first hand review about these type of products? Let me see the lab reports please:sneaky:

eldorado1
06-14-05, 08:18 PM
You'll need a giant spoiler to keep your car from flying into the air, too.

I thought those erector set spoilers (wings) were meant to put your car in the air? http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

95Concours
06-14-05, 08:29 PM
So why does this and those "gas magnets" continue to flourish? Can anyone give an official, first hand review about these type of products? Let me see the lab reports please:sneaky:

Gullibility, stupidity??? Who knows... But if you're willing to spend the $50.00 on the turbonator & another $10.00 on the magnet and do a road test, go ahead. But like people have said before, if a $50.00 piece of tin with a 10 minute installation procedure using only a scewdriver would gain you upwards of 35 horsepower GM, FORD, BMW, MERCBENZ and all others would have it as a factory option. Hell, that would be a 35% power increase in most hyundais.

mtflight
06-14-05, 08:48 PM
Hey I have a bridge for sale cheap...

Ranger
06-14-05, 09:05 PM
So why does this and those "gas magnets" continue to flourish?
Because P.T Barnum was right!

dhs
06-14-05, 10:41 PM
Who's P. T. Barnum?
:hmm:

Ranger
06-14-05, 11:43 PM
Ever hear of the "Barnum & Bailey" circus and side shows circa 1869. Barnum was credited with coining the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute".

dhs
06-14-05, 11:59 PM
Ohh THAT Barnum. I thought he was some guy who came up with some crazy get quick schemes.

:leaving:

powerglide
06-15-05, 12:46 AM
does a bear crap in the woods?

Spyder
06-15-05, 04:18 AM
Is a frog's butt watertight?

K2K
06-15-05, 04:30 AM
Is the pope a catholic?

mtflight
06-15-05, 11:02 AM
I'm selling the Brooklyn bridge.. CHEAP... any takers?

addison_ii
06-15-05, 01:02 PM
I'm selling the Brooklyn bridge.. CHEAP... any takers?
I've got the deeds to both the Golden Gate Bridge and Lake Minnetonka right here any takers?:)

Nickcruffin
06-25-05, 05:54 PM
Actually just behind the throttle plate are two ridges, one on top and one at the bottom, built into the body itself that spirals the air flow into the manifold.

The only reason to put one of the tornado gismos in an air intake tube would to help move a slightly larger volume of air through the intake tube, between the filter and the throttle body. When the air reaches the air straighter at the Mass Air Flow sensor the turbo effect is gone.

Considering that millions of the low restriction air filters have been sold based upon more air flow. The tornado gismos likely to be just as effective. Especially if the old air intake tubing is being used. Note that the inside of the stock air tubing is very irregular, shaped like an accordion, and has resistance because of the shape. As the air flows through that tubing it bangs into those sharp edges, friction, and slows down and causes waves that lowers the amount of air and air pressure that can get through. The smooth tubes that are offered by the filter makers are much better. But by spinning the air, like a tornado, the air will over come some of the friction loss and flow much better through the rough stock air intake tube. So A Tornado gismo can help increase air volume and lower the pressure loss through the tube.

HOWEVER, the size of the air intake tubing is significantly over sized. So the increased flow that might be achieved by using a tornado gismo probably could not be measured.

To overcome the fraction loss in a compressed air system we oversize the piping and use the smoothest tubing we can.

Nick C. Ruffin, Department of Energy, Compressed Air Challenge I, II, III certified.

Nickcruffin
06-25-05, 05:57 PM
Actually just behind the throttle plate are two ridges, one on top and one at the bottom, built into the body itself that spirals the air flow into the manifold.

The only reason to put one of the tornado gismos in an air intake tube would to help move a slightly larger volume of air through the intake tube, between the filter and the throttle body. When the air reaches the air straighter at the Mass Air Flow sensor the turbo effect is gone.

Considering that millions of the low restriction air filters have been sold based upon more air flow. The tornado gismos likely to be just as effective. Especially if the old air intake tubing is being used. Note that the inside of the stock air tubing is very irregular, shaped like an accordion, and has resistance because of the shape. As the air flows through that tubing it bangs into those sharp edges, friction, and slows down and causes waves that lowers the amount of air and air pressure that can get through. The smooth tubes that are offered by the filter makers are much better. But by spinning the air, like a tornado, the air will over come some of the friction loss and flow much better through the rough stock air intake tube. So A Tornado gismo can help increase air volume and lower the pressure loss through the tube.

HOWEVER, the size of the air intake tubing is significantly over sized. So the increased flow that might be achieved by using a tornado gismo probably could not be measured.

To overcome the fraction loss in a compressed air system we oversize the piping and use the smoothest tubing we can.

Nick C. Ruffin, Department of Energy, Compressed Air Challenge I, II, III certified.

lry99eldo
06-25-05, 06:57 PM
I think you are eluding to something like a vortex generator when you mention those bumps. Your explanation is somewhat compelling yet it's canceled out with all the other conditions that exist in production engines. Consider our beloved N*. How many right hand turns does the intake air take? I count four. Also take into consideration the corriagted tube that is one of those right angles. Then it has to get through the throttle plate, a big flow restricter, then into a considerably small plenum area only to await being selected by a cylinder causing one hell of a pulse signal throughout the plenum area. And then it has to go past TWO valves into a cylinder that has it's own issues for efficient combustion. Sorry man, the Turbonator is only efficient one time and one time only, and guess where that happens. You're right.......at the parts counter! Here's your sign sir, and do come again.

Nickcruffin
06-25-05, 08:21 PM
That is what I said.