: gas meter problem

xxxtyler
06-14-05, 03:18 PM
i'm currently borrowing my grandfathers 93 fleetwood brougham, and my grandma told me that the gas meter doesn't work, it just says its full all the time. is there any way i can fix this without going and getting it looked at?

any help is appreciated.

N0DIH
06-14-05, 03:38 PM
Sounds like a bad ground on the sending unit. This is fairly common on these cars.

Gauge reads high - bad ground
Gauge reads low - bad hot or send from float

xxxtyler
06-14-05, 05:49 PM
how do i fix this???

N0DIH
06-15-05, 02:51 PM
Likely you will have to drop the tank. Make sure it is on empty (when my van gauge failed, I drove strictly by the calculator and calculated MPG) If I was at 17 mpg, then I calcualted 16.5 and full tank of 22 gallons, so that got me 16.5x20 to max safe range with some buffer built in.

Gasoline is roughly 6 lbs per gallon, add in 50 or so lbs for the tank. So do not take it "lightly" on the weight, it sucks to drop a full tank of gas. Have a few fire extinguishers around and some friends to help. Most people have no idea JUST how flammable gasoline is. Don't flirt with it if you have ANY questions on your ability.

So, if you have not technically minded and up to the task, best to find a mechanic who knows how to drop a tank. I have done it a few times, it sucked every time.... Especically the last, I had a half a tank of fuel and a dead fuel pump, so I had to drop it heavy. Get a floor jack and some wood to support it.

Likely the issue is a bad sender in the tank, or a bad wire to the sender. The connectors are often on the top of the tank.