: Choosing a New Vehicle, Much More Than Just Price

Ralph
06-14-05, 03:23 PM
http://www.autopacific.com/sub_pr.php?action=view&sub=&section=12&type=58&group=99&id=355

'Most Important Selection Attributes -- Total 2003 USA Car and Light Truck Industry

1. 24% - Feeling Safe While Driving
2. 23% - Vehicle Reputation
3. 22% - Power & Acceleration
4. 22% - Overall Quality
5. 21% - Price/Monthly Payments
6. 20% - Gas Mileage
7. 19% - Handling
8. 18% - Exterior Styling
9. 18% - Value for the Money
10. 17% - Interior Comfort

Note that in the overall scheme of things, the initial quality of a vehicle - or how well a vehicle is screwed together when new - is among the top five most important attributes, but plays only a supporting role in determining what vehicles a consumer will shop and ultimately buy. According to AutoPacific's Peterson, "American consumers primarily want to feel safe. They want a vehicle with a good reputation. As confirmed in this research and numerous focus groups conducted by AutoPacific, buyers also want a vehicle with good power and acceleration because this has become a central component of the safety equation. They want the vehicle to be a good value. And they want the vehicle to have good styling - a vehicle they can be proud of." Adds Peterson, "sure, manufacturers producing quality vehicles with strong reputations for quality have an edge. But those manufacturers that go the next several steps in the areas of safety, image, performance and style will win every time."

Ride
32% Buick
31% Lincoln
31% Cadillac
26% Lexus
24% Chrysler
23% Mercury
20% Jaguar
Bottom
7% Subaru
5% Porsche
4% MINI

Exterior Styling
43% Jaguar
38% Cadillac
37% Infiniti
34% Porsche
33% MINI
32% Chrysler
32% Hummer
Bottom
11% Honda
11% Acura
10% Jeep

Elvis
06-14-05, 04:26 PM
Good post, Ralphie. ;)

Here are my personal rankings:

1) Interior Comfort (10)
2) Exterior Styling (also color) (8)
3) Value for the Money (9)
4) Price/Monthly Payments (5)
5) Feeling Safe While Driving (1)
6) Overall Quality (4)
7) Power & Acceleration (3)
8) Vehicle Reputation (2)
9) Handling (7)
10) Gas Mileage (6)

As you can see, I must not be the typical buyer. Price and overall quality are the only two factors I rank the same as everyone else. I have it backwards--the three at the bottom of the list are the three I put at the top. I wonder if that's also true of many of the people on this board?

It's also very telling about the offerings of the big three and Japan. People apparently don't CARE much about style and comfort anymore, and the manufacturers have picked up on that. Maybe that's why new cars just aren't as exciting as they used to be?

Ralph
06-14-05, 05:39 PM
As you can see, I must not be the typical buyer.

I've done a general thread on this before (purchasing factors) and I recall not too many people being too concerned about Safety ratings. That seems to have changed!

Comfort is probably my top pick, as I squirmed like a baby in those terrible mushy soft Grand Marquis seats! I couldn't take it anymore....

Ralph
06-14-05, 05:47 PM
Looks like the new Charger is one of the highest safety rated vehicles....

http://www.americancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050513.001/dodge/1.html

And for GM........

http://www.americancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050613.002/generalmotors/1.html

malcolm
06-14-05, 05:47 PM
I agree with Elvis for the most part but would move overal quality up a little and monthly payments down.

powerglide
06-14-05, 06:25 PM
Yup....interior comfort is SO important.

Spyder
06-14-05, 06:39 PM
Interior SIZE is very important to me...I've only had one vehicle that my knees don't touch the dash on...an '85 F-250. 7'0" is tough to do in any damned car built in the last twenty five years.
I don't worry too much about the "safety rating", but would like to feel safe in it...which to me goes along with handling and performance...mileage I don't really mind, I'm used to old 60's and 70's big block cars...

davesdeville
06-15-05, 03:59 AM
Price is in fact the single most important factor. If you can't afford it, you ain't buying it no matter how nice it looks, powerful it is, smooth it rides, and what have you.

Ralph
06-15-05, 10:31 PM
Price is in fact the single most important factor. If you can't afford it, you ain't buying it no matter how nice it looks, powerful it is, smooth it rides, and what have you.

Even though I could probably afford it I wouldn't buy a terrible Fugly Scion, for example. I would pay more for appearance alone. As would many.

I would agree with the article in that it is a combination of factors, and "price" was not the most important, but I think if people really wanted a more expensive car they will save up and wait a little longer until they can afford what they really want. Unless they really want a Scion... :cookoo:

Or make payments, or lease. Price isn't the most important factor, and it was last in the top 5. That goes to show you people must have more "fun money" to spend on a more expensive car now. Look at all the toys the CTS-V guys buy for their cars, etc.

The point was it's not the ONLY factor.

davesdeville
06-16-05, 05:12 AM
If you can save up for it, put it on payments, or lease it, then you can afford it. Here are my feelings on the CTS-V, I would feel safe driving it, it has a good reputation, it has hella power, it's a quality vehicle, I could put up with the mileage, it handles well, the exterior styling is great, it's a great value, and the interior is comfortable. But all that doesn't mean crap since I can't afford one.

Ralph
06-16-05, 05:16 AM
But all that doesn't mean crap since I can't afford one.

Oh c'mon Dave. You're just a little bitter being termporarily unemployed. :) When you start pullin' down the big bucks you'll be laughing when you buy that brand-spankin' new STS-V! :thumbsup:

Elvis
06-16-05, 11:49 AM
Interior SIZE is very important to me...I've only had one vehicle that my knees don't touch the dash on...an '85 F-250. 7'0" is tough to do in any damned car built in the last twenty five years.
I don't worry too much about the "safety rating", but would like to feel safe in it...which to me goes along with handling and performance...mileage I don't really mind, I'm used to old 60's and 70's big block cars...

Damn! Are you really 7' tall? :eek:

I think it's a safety thing. They want you surrounded by plastic to hold you in place in the event of a crash. If your knees come close to the dash, then they won't be moving very far when you hit something at 60 mph.

All my cars in the 80's had plenty of wide-open legroom. One of the things that had me seriously considering a DHS for the past couple years was the fact that there wasn't a console, so it looked like there was a lot of lateral legroom in there.

davesdeville
06-16-05, 12:03 PM
Oh c'mon Dave. You're just a little bitter being termporarily unemployed. :) When you start pullin' down the big bucks you'll be laughing when you buy that brand-spankin' new STS-V! :thumbsup:

lol they won't even be making STS-Vs anymore by the time I could afford a new one. A used one might be my next car purchase though since my vehicular needs will be fulfilled for probably a decade by the ETC, 75 Deville, and maybe even the 78 Fleetwood Brougham when I get around to restoring it.

powerglide
06-16-05, 12:28 PM
One of the things that had me seriously considering a DHS for the past couple years was the fact that there wasn't a console, so it looked like there was a lot of lateral legroom in there.

So true! I love the bench seat.....now when I drive a bucket seat car with center console, I feel constricted.

Since you never really put your legs down there in the middle anyways, it shouldnt make a difference. But psychologically speaking it is a HUGE difference.

One of the things I dislike is when my knee rub against the center console.......

Elvis
06-16-05, 05:07 PM
Since you never really put your legs down there in the middle anyways, it shouldnt make a difference.

One of the things I dislike is when my knee rub against the center console.......

Who says you don't? I used to stretch out in all different directions on a long road trip.