: Saturn Aura and Infiniti M the Winners of Second Beauty Contest

Ralph
06-14-05, 02:12 PM
http://www.autopacific.com/sub_pr.php?action=view&sub=&section=12&type=58&group=99&id=648

"VV Beauty Contest II As was the case with the first survey in the Beauty Contest Series, respondents were asked not only to rate the exterior styling of eight production and concept vehicles, but also to identify the most likely brand (photos "unbadged"), the type of vehicle, and whether it is the type of vehicle they would likely drive."

Saturn Aura The Saturn Aura was the definite styling winner among this group of eight players - 84% saying the vehicle has "great" or "good" exterior styling. Will well-liked styling create sales for the Aura? We will have to wait and see - 32% said the Aura is definitely or probably "my kind of vehicle", which is good for second place for this paricular question.

Remember that the 2006 Saturn Sky sports car did very well in the first Beauty Contest, running neck and neck with the new Ford Mustang Convertible. Saturn should be able to create some positive momentum when these two nicely-styled cars come to market.

2006 Infiniti M Even though the Saturn Aura beats the Infiniti by a strong margin for positive exterior styling (84% vs. 56%), the M takes the top spot for the "my type of vehicle" question. Thirty-nine percent of the respondents said the M is definitely or probably "my type of vehicle". Many respondents were able to correctly identify the vehicle as an Infiniti, most likely due to the family resemblance of the chrome grille. The M is also the only vehicle in this group currently on sale in the U.S."

No one can say Saturns are ugly now! :shhh: :p

davesdeville
06-15-05, 03:06 AM
Other than the M and Aura those are some fugly vehicles.

Jesda
06-15-05, 04:39 AM
The M looks like high-tech potato. The Fuga concept was so much nicer.

Ralph
06-15-05, 09:27 PM
I don't think the M looks too bad, and the survey would agree.

Saturn is definately getting their act back together IMO. I want to see the Sky sell more than Miata, and I think it might if they make enough of them??

Stoneage_Caddy
06-15-05, 09:54 PM
i tell ya im a big fan of the aura ...i cannot wait to see one in the flesh ...supposedly on paper it takes care of every problem i have with our malibu ..., in a much nicer looking package ...

im really pulling for this GM product more than any other to be sucessful ...not since the first SC2 rolled off the line in spring hill TN did saturn have so much promise

Ralph
06-15-05, 11:17 PM
Call me crazy, but I still like the Ion, and if my car got totalled (for real :sneaky: ) that's probably what I would get. I think they look like a mini-Altima and those look good too IMO.

I'm also sick and tired of worrying about door dings!

I would have an Ion over a Civic ANYDAY!

davesdeville
06-16-05, 04:20 AM
I HATE it when people are like "oooooh the Sky is sooooo cool," cause screw the Sky. It's a Pontiac Solstice before it's a Sky.

Ralph
06-16-05, 04:22 AM
Damn the SKY is beautiful!!! I'll take mine in light blue with big puffy white patches please. :shhh: :p

Think of it as a Solstace but without the door dings. :)

Chances are, if people like the boring old Miata, they will take a serious look at the Sky.

Are you denying that it is a good looking vehicle Dave????? You didn't say "it is ugly." ;)

HotRodSaint
06-16-05, 10:00 AM
I HATE it when people are like "oooooh the Sky is sooooo cool," cause screw the Sky. It's a Pontiac Solstice before it's a Sky.

I'm betting the Solstice outsells the Sky 2 to 1! :cool:

davesdeville
06-16-05, 10:57 AM
I'd bet you're right HRS. I think both the Sky and Solstice have weird grilles but otherwise are nice looking.

Ralph
06-16-05, 05:35 PM
The SKY is MUCH nicer looking.

fast66
06-16-05, 10:50 PM
from the inside the saturn is really nice
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2005/0501_saturn_aura/

Ralph
06-16-05, 11:20 PM
from the inside the saturn is really nice
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2005/0501_saturn_aura/

That clenches it! I would buy a Sky! It looks like some sort of Porsche supercar, with a much cleaner front end!

HotRodSaint
06-16-05, 11:25 PM
I'd bet you're right HRS. I think both the Sky and Solstice have weird grilles but otherwise are nice looking.

Pontiac means more to more people. So a Pontiac sportscar, will get better reception.

Anyway, this is just the semi-final. I'd like to know who won the first round, and what the third round car's will be.

I don't expect either the Aura or the M to win the competition.

Ralph
06-19-05, 04:03 AM
The M looks like a nice car....to me. Very Lexus GS'ish

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2004/newyork/highlights/index10.html

Jesda
06-19-05, 05:41 AM
Thats one reason I dont like the new M. It emulates the soullessness of Lexus. Fortunately, the driving experience more than makes up for it.

Ralph
06-19-05, 06:05 AM
Thats one reason I dont like the new M. It emulates the soullessness of Lexus. Fortunately, the driving experience more than makes up for it.

That's true, and I'd go a bit further and say that Infinity seems to have been riding on the coat tails of Lexus for some time now.

Jesda
06-19-05, 08:46 AM
That's true, and I'd go a bit further and say that Infinity seems to have been riding on the coat tails of Lexus for some time now.

I fully agree. They tried to be original with the first Q45, but original is a tough sell in a very traditional luxury market, especially when you're a new brand. Going the Lexus copycat route didnt work either, as people said "Well, if they're the same then I'll just get a Lexus."

HotRodSaint
06-19-05, 12:59 PM
The Mustang and Sky were the definite winners, finishing in a virtual dead heat for the top two spots, while the remaining six vehicles fall well behind. (http://www.autopacific.com/sub_pr.php?action=view&sub=&section=12&type=58&group=99&id=644)