: New front brakes!!! WOO WOO!!!

carguy16
06-14-05, 02:35 PM
Holy crap! Just got some front end brake work, and #^%#!!!!

New calipers, brake lines, slide pins, Raybesto's superstop pads, and a new steel brake line that burst while they were bleeding the brakes...:bighead: Car stops on a dime! I dont know how I managed to stop before!

The grab is amazing. They DID NOT turn the rotors, they said they were fine. Bill came up to $210.00 including tax, Im happy!

But, I smell something burning. There is some brake fluid spillage in the engine compartment and in surronding areas, but I hope to go out with brake cleaner and a hose and clean everything out. I dont know if brake fluid got on the exhaust, or the brake pads are just "breaking" in. The pads said they dont need braking in, because of the forumation. But, the car stops great. If you have braking issues, new calipers, pads, lines, and you'll stop on a dime. Its amazing how the car stops.

Down side, if I hit the brakes I still get lock up, I know the front are lockin, dont know about the rears...But, the steel lines that burst went from the ABS pump to the wheel I think???

Best money I could have spent, if I would have done it sooner would have saved my ass and I wouldnt have rear ended someone.

Now, to find that burning smell...

cmgrafmc
06-14-05, 04:04 PM
Be sure to get that brake fluid off coz it's very corrosive stuff. Congrats on the new brakes!

ocjmakaveli
06-15-05, 03:44 AM
what the hell they DID NOT turn the rotors?

pardon me being so crude but that is the first and most important thing when doing a brake job god damn mechanics you can't eyeball a rotor and say if it needs to be cut.

Did they measure the rotor at least before deciding whether it should be cut?

Your only looking for trouble when you don't cut/resurface the rotors NOT resurfacing the rotors can cause lock-ups.

they shouldn't have replaced the calipers or steel lines that was a waste of money.........

Most likely reason why they didnt cut the rotors is because if you take them to get cut then you have to wait 30 minutes for them to be ready and htey probably didn't want to go through that.

Go back and you must have them cut especially on a car that high mileage.

2 ways to look at this if the rotors are in such good condition then the pads did NOT have to be replaced because they were in good condition too OR if they didn't replace the rotors because of laziness then they did a half ass job and a few months from now you'll start having problems like your brakes pulsing.

this is a big deal a car without good brakes is a wreck waiting too happen.

PS: it could be that your front tires are in really bad condition and thats why they are locking up.

carguy16
06-15-05, 12:13 PM
They told me they were going to repack the bearings, but since the rotors werent pulled, I dont think that was done, but the cost was less.

Front tires are Michelins, one is newer, one is older, the left tire has about 70-80 percent tread, one on the right is wearing a little off with maybe 20% tread on the lowest outer edge, and 50 percent on the inner edge. This could probably influence something, yes.

Calipers were necesary, the old ones were in deplorable condition, the guide pins were corroded, so two new lines, two new calipers, new set of Raybestos Superstop pads, and a new steel line(old one burst). Yes, I was weary, I asked them, "Your not turning the rotors?" They said, "No, the rotors are fine." I dont know if they measured them or not, but I will take their word for it. I cant go back and raise hell, but if there are any problems, I will go back. There is no pulsing right now, or vibrations. How ever, since the calipers werent applying properly, the old pads were wearing un-evenly, so, I do wonder if the rotors wore evenly on each side, and how these new pads will wear in...

But, if they are fine now, why would they cause problems down the road?

what the hell they DID NOT turn the rotors?

pardon me being so crude but that is the first and most important thing when doing a brake job god damn mechanics you can't eyeball a rotor and say if it needs to be cut.

Did they measure the rotor at least before deciding whether it should be cut?

Your only looking for trouble when you don't cut/resurface the rotors NOT resurfacing the rotors can cause lock-ups.

they shouldn't have replaced the calipers or steel lines that was a waste of money.........

Most likely reason why they didnt cut the rotors is because if you take them to get cut then you have to wait 30 minutes for them to be ready and htey probably didn't want to go through that.

Go back and you must have them cut especially on a car that high mileage.

2 ways to look at this if the rotors are in such good condition then the pads did NOT have to be replaced because they were in good condition too OR if they didn't replace the rotors because of laziness then they did a half ass job and a few months from now you'll start having problems like your brakes pulsing.

this is a big deal a car without good brakes is a wreck waiting too happen.

PS: it could be that your front tires are in really bad condition and thats why they are locking up.

ocjmakaveli
06-15-05, 08:21 PM
Well plain and simple if your new pads are going to last 50,000 miles why would you expect a rotor that easily has 30,000 miles on it to still last another 50,000 miles without ever being turned?

you will get vibrations while your pads will only be at half-life and then the shop is going to want to cut and replace your pads again BUT that won't be necessary.

rotors never wear out equally so I think they just took the easy route to be honest

The thing is we are talking about a maximum charge of $20 for having them turned usually around $10 and when all this was being done that was one very important thing to avoid future headaches.

The tire issue you should fix immediately having mixed tires is very bad when they are side by side especially the front shouldn't be mismatched like that.

I wouldn't trust a shop who only tells me to replace 1 of 2 parts that work together and it's the main system that you use every minute while the car is in motion.

N0DIH
06-15-05, 10:00 PM
I feel that they need to do as GM specifies. Measure rotor runout, if out of spec, then turn, else, leave it alone. Do not turn rotors just to turn them! Most shops do so they can get you buying rotors soon. AND, they are not known to only turn the MINIMUM metal needed to get true, they will grind what they want, so if they take out 0.1 in, then you have lost 20-30K miles on that rotor. This will cause them to be thinner, and they will not handle heat as well, and they WILL warp prematurely.

These rotors aren't as thin as most of the new cars, so they should last a very long time if not abused.

I am looking to do the 9C1 brake cooling mod on mine to ensure proper airflow is getting to the rotors. Every car I have done this to has been an improvement in braking as well as rotor life.

Agreed, the rotors wear, but not near as fast as the pads, as they are a much harder material. I typically expect 2:1 ratio of rotor thickness to pad thickness. But "results may vary"....