: 96 Deville T.b. And Egr Cleaning

96CADDYDEVILLE
06-14-05, 11:16 AM
HEY EVERYONE I SEARCHED FOR A WHILE AND COULD FIND A POST FOR A 96 N* INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLEANING OUT THE T.B. AND EGR. MY CAR HAS BEEN RUNNING A LIL ROUGH AND HESITATING WHEN COLD. I PLAN ON DOING A TUNE UP THIS WEEKEND IM PRETTY HANDY WITH A WRENCH. BUT IVE BEEN WORKING ON MOPARS ALL MY LIFE AND I JUST NEED A QUICK OVERVIEW OF DISMANTLING AND CLEANING THE EGR AND T.B.

TIA,
CHASE:hmm:

Ranger
06-14-05, 07:46 PM
Remove the MAF sensor (black plastic tube) bolted to the TB. Block the throttle plate open. Use an old tooth brush and a rag with carb cleaner and clean the TB bore and throttle plate

If you haven't had the fuel rail recall done, the EGR will be a little easier to remove as the nylon rail has a little flex. If it has been changed then you'll have to remove the fuel rail to get the EGR off because the fuel rail mount is bolted to the EGR stud.. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Once the EGR is in hand just clean the pintle shaft with carb cleaner so that it moves freely and does not stick. Be sure to hold the EGR upright so the carb cleaner does not run into the can as it will destroy the insulating varnish on the windings and render it inoperative.

davesdeville
06-15-05, 02:17 AM
If it has been changed then you'll have to remove the fuel rail to get the EGR off because the fuel rail mount is bolted to the EGR stud..

Which is the stupidest damn design. It's not like the rail is GOING anywhere without that damn bracket. I sawed through mine and it's frickin 1/8" thick. Overengineered :mad:

96CADDYDEVILLE
06-15-05, 06:13 AM
thank you ranger you are both a scholar and a gentlmen.

96CADDYDEVILLE
06-15-05, 06:50 PM
Is The Egr Valve The Like 2" Dia. 3" Tall Thing With The Elec. Conn. On Top Thats Held In By 2 Bolts, Next To The Maf Sensor??? If So I Think I Have The Recall Done Cause It Look To Be Ss Gas Lines Attached To The One Bolt Like You Said.

Ranger
06-15-05, 08:46 PM
Yup, you got it.

96CADDYDEVILLE
06-16-05, 06:25 AM
you tha man, cleaned them last night after that n* ate my ratchet adapter and had to turn into a search and rescue mission. hesitated to start back up i guess thats normal though, its fine now.