: Z06 Hits 60 in 3.7 Seconds, Chevy Says

HotRodSaint
06-13-05, 11:52 PM
Chevrolet says the upcoming 2006 Z06 edition will be the fastest Corvette ever. The new 505-hp Z06 will run from 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds, Chevrolet promises. The Z06 gets its extra power from a 7.0-liter V-8 engine and is helped to its faster speeds by lightweight construction: the 3132-lb Z06 has a body built with aluminum, titanium, and magnesium. The Z06 goes on sale in the fall priced from $65,800, including destination charges.

Spyder
06-14-05, 12:33 AM
Hot damn...that's what I like to hear!

illumina
06-14-05, 12:46 AM
The new 505-hp Z06 will run from 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds, Chevrolet promises.

:devil: :bouncy: :spin: :dance:

Playdrv4me
06-14-05, 12:57 AM
65K.... That is ASTONISHING. The fate of the XLR has been sealed in my book. I expected the Z06 to be 70 or more, at 65 it is an absolute steal.

davesdeville
06-14-05, 05:42 AM
Cool beans. I'd take an STS-V in that price range even though it's maybe a second slower to 60... I need 825hp in the 75 to keep up. Or 675 in the 78. Yikes.

HotRodSaint
06-14-05, 10:51 AM
65K.... That is ASTONISHING. The fate of the XLR has been sealed in my book. I expected the Z06 to be 70 or more, at 65 it is an absolute steal.

What's an XLR? :lildevil:

I can hear people now, "I could get that Ferrari, or I could get a Vette, a Cadillac CTS-V, Chevy Cobalt SS and I still might have enough left for a GMC truck."

Ok, so maybe that's only me saying that!

Playdrv4me
06-14-05, 10:59 AM
What's an XLR? :lildevil:

I can hear people now, "I could get that Ferrari, or I could get a Vette, a Cadillac CTS-V, Chevy Cobalt SS and I still might have enough left for a GMC truck."

Ok, so maybe that's only me saying that!

No kidding!

Now heres a question. Does anyone know if this engine configuration is already at its limits (compression ratio etc..) or is there are already talk of being able to squeeze even more out of it?

At this rate it already destroys the Viper for 15 grand less and most of its Foreign competition as well.

Sandy
06-14-05, 12:30 PM
Can it be ordered with an automatic tranny ?

Leloz
06-14-05, 12:30 PM
Thank God the deal fell through for that 996 Turbo I was going to buy... the Z06 is half the price and will perform just as well. I think my next weekend racer has been picked!

Playdrv4me
06-14-05, 01:03 PM
Can it be ordered with an automatic tranny ?

Maybe but I highly doubt it. I dont think there are many auto trannies that could handle that kind of absurd torque. That is one place where the XLR-V will still have the edge, the auto-tranny.

Spyder
06-14-05, 01:56 PM
If they were the same price, I'd take the XLR still...I dunno why, but I fell in love with that car the day that I tried to pass one on the freeway...and got destroyed... :)

Sandy
06-14-05, 02:07 PM
When I first went to a Caddy showroom to see the XLR (about 10 months ago) ~ I liked it, but there was "no love" ~ It was "okay" ~ This past April, I walked out of a local (large) mall, and just as I walked out, a blue one drove up, paused as if to tease me, and drove off with my heart :rolleyes: It looks much better out on the road than in the showroom. Still, for its price of admitance I think I'd rather have a new Mustang GT Convertible for April thru October and a new Trailblazer SS with Ram Air for November thru March. In this area of New Jersey one sees quite a few XLRs on the road. BLUE is the way to go. BLUE!!

Stoneage_Caddy
06-14-05, 05:23 PM
More amazing is the redline GM Powertrain Achived with this PUSHROD engine , in fact its a new record.... a wicked 7100 rpm...

Did i mention its a pushrod ????...LOL

between this engine and the new 3.9v6 with variable valve timing id say GM has perfected pushrod engine design

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=39&docid=11813

Playdrv4me
06-14-05, 05:37 PM
More amazing is the redline GM Powertrain Achived with this PUSHROD engine , in fact its a new record.... a wicked 7100 rpm...

Did i mention its a pushrod ????...LOL

between this engine and the new 3.9v6 with variable valve timing id say GM has perfected pushrod engine design

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=39&docid=11813

:yup:

BTW... If I can get my hands on one of these in a few years, it will DEFINITELY be in the "one of the cars to keep forever" category. Most certainly one of the few truly great GM's of the past 20 years. I've got VERY high hopes for this car.

Rolex
06-14-05, 07:25 PM
There's a doc I work with that has his Z06 on order. Black on black. It's going to be a Viper killer! :lildevil:

HotRodSaint
06-15-05, 01:05 AM
I'd take the XLR still...

...only if I could afford a Z06 engine swap. :spin:

HotRodSaint
06-15-05, 01:07 AM
If I can get my hands on one of these in a few years, it will DEFINITELY be in the "one of the cars to keep forever" category.

Tough choice between this and the new Mustang Shelby GT500.

HotRodSaint
06-15-05, 01:10 AM
Still, for its price of admitance I think I'd rather have a new Mustang GT Convertible for April thru October and a new Trailblazer SS with Ram Air for November thru March.

Good choices! :thumbsup:

davesdeville
06-15-05, 04:29 AM
...only if I could afford a Z06 engine swap. :spin:

You'd swap an engine for 6-7% more hp? :hmm: In reality thats all the Z06 has on the XLR-V.

Jesda
06-15-05, 05:20 AM
Seven liter V8... 68k... 3100lbs... I NEED $68k!

Sandy
06-15-05, 07:36 AM
Most of you wern't born then, BUT it's just like 1969 all over again! This is good ! However, I got old in the intrim, and am now happier in my Town Car, than I'd be in a 'Vette. The knees don't bend so good anymore.

I can't say WHAT I'd buy, whith enough money if I was 20 Y.O. again, but LAST time around I went for the GTO (1966 'Vert - Red). The Corvette was more $$$ than I could get together, and the Mustang & GTO were in a dead heat for my $$$ ~ I liked the salesman at the Pontiac place better, so I bought a Tri-Power 389 Bright Red 'Vert with white interior & white top. It's picture is on the web.
With NO convert, this time I'd probably go for the Mustang GT Convert.

You guys are lucky. The generations between us, had little to nothing, and turned to the foreign cars, which, as you know, never did ring my bell.

HotRodSaint
06-15-05, 11:16 AM
You'd swap an engine for 6-7% more hp? :hmm: In reality thats all the Z06 has on the XLR-V.

Yes, and for the 6-speed... :thumbsup:

That 7% increase comes from a normally aspirated engine. If I was going to spend the money on a crate engine and an engine swap, do you think I'd leave it normally aspirated?

Spyder
06-15-05, 04:29 PM
hehehe... *evil smirk*