: Fleetwood malfunction

carguy16
06-13-05, 07:45 PM
Strange things happening. I noticed that I had lost some power on the Fleetwood, it got slow to shift, around 40-42 under WOT it sounded like it wanted to shift but it couldnt, this was doing it several times during the day.

Also, at a red light, it turned green on a 4 lane highway. There is a Newer Beemer and Passat infront of me, we take off, they arent going that fast, finally get up to 45-50 MPH, and I start smelling something burning, I knew it had to be me. There is a median, and only those two cars infront of me. The smell did go away after 30 seconds. I had my a/c on HIGH at 60 Degrees. Got home and popped the hood, smelled nothing, no tell tale sounds. I dont think it was the transmission, usually you can smell fluid burning, or it would be smoking, looked in the mirror and saw no smoke. Although, I was a little suspicious that it could be the brakes...But, the brakes are being completely redone in the front. New RAYBESTOS SUPERSTOP pads($58.99), new calipers, lines, re-pack bearings, turn the rotors. Do you recomend turning the rotors, or getting new ones?

I finally understand the logic of turning drums, with drums you just adjust the shoe till they make contact. How ever with front discs, is it really worth it?

N0DIH
06-13-05, 08:35 PM
Is your traction control kicking in? Try the disable to be sure.

I would turn rotors, these are the last of the big cars they have meaty rotors. But many cheap replacement ones are getting thinner. NAPA has a higher quality line. You might check and see if the 9C1 (Cop Car) has thicker rotors, but if they are significantly thicker, you will need the special calipers they used. It was some sort of long life pad that was thicker than stock.

carguy16
06-13-05, 09:01 PM
Traction control is always disabled, with the exception of a rainy day.

It felt like I was driving a 4 banger with the A/C on.

I had no tell tale lights, but gonna pull codes tommorow, see if anythings up.

Also when I brake, I pump them, I dont hold the brake and ride them to a stop, I stab them, let off, start braking let off. I was told this works better, dont know for sure. But it lets them cool better, and dispels dust or gas?

Is your traction control kicking in? Try the disable to be sure.

I would turn rotors, these are the last of the big cars they have meaty rotors. But many cheap replacement ones are getting thinner. NAPA has a higher quality line. You might check and see if the 9C1 (Cop Car) has thicker rotors, but if they are significantly thicker, you will need the special calipers they used. It was some sort of long life pad that was thicker than stock.