: drum break, traction control issue

DanTheMan
06-13-05, 03:14 AM
My inspection is due this june. At the inspection station they found a few minor things I could repair/have done cheaper somewhere else (sorry to all the mechanics out there, I'm a poor college student). I basically had the two break shoes on backwards; the slightly bigger one goes towards the back. I did that, put everything together properly, and set the adjuster. For a day it worked fine. When I got new tires on the rear (probably a timing coincidence but thought I'd throw it in just in case) I was driving home and the traction control kicked in at 45mph. I re-examined everything and it all seems perfect but since then my car hasn't really let me go any higher without it kicking on, often as low as 40. I don't feel and shaking or lose of traction, just the usualy gas pedal fighting back. When I disengage the traction control the car seems to work perfectly fine. I don't imagine this is a common problem but if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions they'd be greatly appriciated.

HotRodSaint
06-13-05, 08:42 AM
So the traction control actually engages? Or does the light just come on?

Are your wheels and tires the stock size?

N0DIH
06-13-05, 01:00 PM
If there is a difference in front to back size it may interpret it as wheelspin. It compares the front tire speed to rear, if one of the rear is going faster, it applies the brake on the wheel that is offending it and relaxes the throttle.

HotRodSaint
06-13-05, 10:56 PM
If there is a difference in front to back size it may interpret it as wheelspin. It compares the front tire speed to rear, if one of the rear is going faster, it applies the brake on the wheel that is offending it and relaxes the throttle.

I did not know that!

I was asking, because my right tire rubbed the wire and it shorted out.

DanTheMan
06-15-05, 12:18 AM
yeah, that was it. I had always assumed that it was just when one side spun a substantial amount more then the other but thinking about it that makes sence. I had put 235/70 on when I replaced the tires because the inspection station pointed out the me that was stock size. It was one of those things I knew but was confused about; thought that was stock size for VP4 and regular fleetwoods were 235/75. Either way, switched them and it works perfectly. I make sure to get them the same size all around when these wear out. Thanks guys.

N0DIH
06-15-05, 02:54 PM
I was unsure on the operation, the FSM in the TCS/ABS section explains it well. It is a decent system, I have no complaints except when I want to mash it and it breaks rubber going from 1-2 shift and the TCS kicks in and pulls back the throttle on me!!! GGGRRRRRR!!!!!!

I guess I need to like Katshot does, and drive with it off all the time unless weather dicates... Do I ever wish I had posi!