: Dude, Where's my fuel filter? 67 Deville

antinym
06-12-05, 11:33 PM
I just bought this 67 Deville Conv't. I'm doing all the preventative maintainence, whether it needs it or not. I got an fuel filter from the auto parts store, and I don't know where it goes. The previous owner may have removed it, but I don't see it in the engine compartment. I traced the fuel line from the carb to the pump to the hard line leading to the back of the car,.. no where to put this filter.

DopeStar 156
06-13-05, 12:51 AM
It should be behind the fuel inlet nut. Between the fuel line and the carb. BE CAREFUL not to snap the fuel line as I did last week taking the inlet nut off. Try to disconnect the line first, then remove the inlet nut.

antinym
06-13-05, 09:15 AM
Dammit!, Just as I thought, I don't have one.

Something probably flaked off the gas tank and clogged the carb, now causing me sad sad idling problems.

DopeStar 156
06-13-05, 11:50 AM
You don't have a fuel filter? Wow dude that's no good.

N0DIH
06-13-05, 02:34 PM
Q-Jet or AFB?

Night Wolf
06-13-05, 04:04 PM
no fuel filter?!?

on the Q-jet, the fuel filter is *inside* of the carb, it is in a PITA place, and they really suck..... once you change it, I would put a regular filter inline under the car, then that would pick up all the stuff and the filter in the carb would just be a backup....

you gotta remove the air cleaner, there is a little nut... the thing is in a tight spot and really a bitch to get at... my father did the one on my car, I just watched, so I can't give much advice...

BluEyes
06-14-05, 03:29 AM
also look on the fuel inlet to the pump. They put them there on the earlier cars, and I'm pretty sure my '70 has it there.

antinym
06-14-05, 09:07 PM
I got a fuel filter from the auto parts store, it's for my car the computer says. But it's way too big to fit into anything that that's at the carb fuel inlet. It's about .75 inches tall, 1.5 inches round. the inlet housing seems to only be about 1 inch round. Anyway. I got a inline filter, put it in place, what ever caused the engine problems seems to gone away. I'm guessing it disolved.

DopeStar 156
06-15-05, 12:58 AM
Let's hope so. Fuel system problems can be a real bitch.

Eastwood
06-21-05, 05:35 AM
On a '67 Caddy the fuel filter is placed between de fuel pump and the carb. On the oil filler tube you can find the bracket where it's supposed to be. The filter on the Q-jet is a kind of back-up. Clean this filter and place an extra in-line filter and you're done.

Here's an original filter on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34198&item=4557461868&rd=1

Michiel