: very bad coolant leak

bodonovich
12-28-13, 01:49 AM
hi i have a 2002 Dts

i have very bad coolant leak around the water pump area...

so bad as soon as u pour coolant in the reservoir it comes pouring out..... picture a garden hose a little less pressure

i have a new water pump cover seal proper one for my cover and new thermostat gasket... also have a new water pump and seal..

just waiting on my water pump socket to come in the mail..

but this leak is insane

MoistCabbage
12-28-13, 02:43 AM
Did you have a question?

Hope that the freeze plug didn't come out of the rear of the head.

V-swagon
12-28-13, 05:28 AM
That sucks. It could be the crossover housing gasket. There are several of them that are o-ringed and plastic and it could have gave up if its not the water pump o-ring. Good luck.

MoistCabbage
12-28-13, 05:31 AM
Yup. Usually, a crossover gasket leak starts off slow though.

Ranger
12-28-13, 11:37 AM
I can't imagine the crossover gasket leaking THAT bad.

bodonovich
12-28-13, 12:43 PM
I took of the water pump belt cover and the belt is whipping coolant around.... There is coolant on the radiator fans also.... I just can't do anything cause I'm waiting for this damn water pump socket Since dec 7

V-swagon
12-28-13, 12:54 PM
You can sometimes rent the tool from places like Autozone. Advance Auto Parts, and maybe O'Rielys.

bodonovich
12-28-13, 01:30 PM
I'm in Vancouver Canada and no one has the socket

bodonovich
12-28-13, 04:41 PM
i got everything ripped apart except the water pump... seems to be leaking under the water pump housing

MoistCabbage
12-28-13, 07:08 PM
The water pump housing is the crossover.

Ranger
12-28-13, 09:46 PM
I took of the water pump belt cover and the belt is whipping coolant around..
I wonder if that might not be the WP shaft seal or the internal O ring seal. A flashlight and mirror might give you a better look. I'd hate to see you pull the crossover for nothing. That's a bitch of a job.

Tailfin
12-28-13, 10:38 PM
I'd hate to see you pull the crossover for nothing. That's a bitch of a job.

I second this motion. The two lower bolts toward the front of the car are a disaster. I used a 1/4" socket, an offset manual wrench, and a regular manual wrench, depending on how far out the bolts were. I suggest just finish the water pump. Make sure that new O-ring is seated. I had to slightly stretch out mine so it would stay in the groove. If the crossover is the problem, you can take the housing off again, and just take the crossover off with the pump--without actually removing the pump itself if you need to do the crossover...which I also agree...seems unlikely.

bodonovich
12-29-13, 12:18 AM
Im hoping its the water pump... im gonna drive across the border tomorrow to buy that socket from auto zone in bellingham... this mail bs is taking to long

Ranger
12-29-13, 11:37 AM
Be ware. The AZ sockets are probably the cheaper Lysle or Astro Pneumatic stamped steel sockets (top one). Look close and you can see the difference in the thickness. Sometimes they work and sometimes they slip off a stubborn WP. The better (more expensive) ones (bottom one) are machined and come with a hold down bracket.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/LIL-14440_ml.jpg

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mzI7PnjVLdDJ8ui0GDIKsKg.jpg

bodonovich
12-29-13, 09:07 PM
alrite so changed the pump finally... no more leaks anywhere...

but not the car runs really hot like 1 line below the max temp

Ranger
12-29-13, 10:01 PM
Check the purge line (cold engine) to be sure it is clear and flows coolant. I assume you have topped off the surge tank and it is about 1/2 full? Remember, when you first start it, the pump may suck it dry. You may have to top it off 2 or 3 times until it stabilizes.

bodonovich
12-29-13, 11:17 PM
yup checked it, purge line flows coolant... i guess it is just low on coolant... seemed to be air bubbles in the purge line wasnt a solid stream

04GrandAmGT
01-02-14, 01:20 PM
Canadian Tire has them