: A long strech....but possible?

Night Wolf
10-30-03, 05:29 PM
Ok, I didn't know if this should go in the DeVille section or not, but anyway, I will try to keep this simple....

I love my car, the outside styling is great, IMO it is, besides the FW, the last of the traditional Caddys...... although since the general platform of my car was made in '84 or so, the interrior is dated. It is all horizontal dash inside, single gauge cluster (speedo) no consol or anything etc....

.....now I LOVE the interrior of the ~'96 STS, but realize that in '96 the 4.9 was not used and OBD II came in, so to keep it simple for now, I was wondering if it is possible to switch the interrior from, say a '92 STS (4.9) into my DeVille?

Now all that I would really be changing woudl be the dash/center consol, and MAYBE the seats.......would it bolt up? require slight modifcations? or really tear the car apart? Also, would the ECC and FDC and all the info things work? the engine was the same, the coputer and programming was the same, but maybe the harness or something was differnt? I was also thinking, well, my car is a Coupe, and the SeVille is a 4 door, so maybe I would have to use the door panels from an Eldorado....would they fit?

Why would I want to do this? becuase I like the 120-140mph speedo, I like the tach, the way the dash curves up for the driver, all the extra wood...... IMO if would be sweet....it is not something I would do for other people to be impressed by, becuase they woudln't know the differnce unless they knew the car, it is something that I would want to do myself....... I do plan on keeping the car a long, long time also.

But is this all possible, or am I just getting hyped up on nothing? there is nothing wrong with my interror at all, infact is is in really, really good shape, I would just like to change it...... the biggest thing between '95 and '96 is that in '96 the gauge/instrument cluster is alot better looking and stuff, but that design was never used with OBD I or the 4.9 so I don't know if it is compatible.

IF I did go through with this, I would probelly go to a junk yard, find a wreck Eldo/SeVille and as long as the interrior is good and color is good (preferably neutral shale, like what I have now) I would take the whole wrecked ar or soemthing (woudln't care about engine/tranny or body or anything)

I figured since there is NO aftermarket for the car.....sure there are a couple of add-on things to the engine, but that is nothing, nd I love this car, it is in such great condition, and I really want to own it forever (although get other cars, just always have this one) I would really like to do something like this......

So my question is, how easy would the dash go in? door panels from an Eldo? if it would require slight mods, it is ok, but if I would have to tear the car apart, I dunno then....... woudl the climate controls and fuel data stuff and all the info displays still work with each other? Also would it be hard to convert the car form colum shift to floor shift?

Here is a '92 STS...I like the STS trim, but this was the only year with the 4.9.... I don't like the stuff the guy did to the car, but check out the interrior (4.9 speddo only goes to 130 while N* went to 140-150....still better then my 85) and actually, that is the same color I would like to use as well...... same steering wheel as I have....and IF I did do that, I would like to change the steering wheel and (floor) shifter to one from the late 90s

Here is an Eldo.....would these door panels be an easy swap? and if I actually did do this, and it really bothered me, I could get the Eldroado changed to DeVille in the door panel....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6147&item=2439200928

Here are pictures of the '96 interrior...things were changed such as the HVAC controls and stuff.....would this be compatible with my car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6151&item=2440066538#mainImage

And attached is a picture of the '96 gauge cluster..... IF the whole swap was possible, is is possible to use that cluster instead of the eariler design?

I know this all seems far-fetched, but let me know what you guys think. Thanks

ahhh it wont let me upload the picture says I have uploaded too many pics... I gotta go though, I'll give it a try later. Thanks

elwesso
10-30-03, 07:24 PM
You need to stop smoking...... :D Just kidding :thumbsup:

Honestly, I dont think it would be worth it..... Obviously, you could MAKE it happen, but I dont think I would even consider doing such a thing...... Once everything is said and done, you could have that 96 eldorado for most likely less........

I highly doubt it would simply bolt in, since it is a completely different body style....... You *may* be able to swap the seats, but aside that I dont think anything else would work......

Dash-- Forget it, that would be way too hard......
Door panels- Maybe.....
Instruments- Most likely not..... They change wiring all the time, so the chances of plug and play are pretty slim.... Even if so, the system is made for OBD2, so even if the harness connectors met up, it probably wouldnt be compatible.......
Shifter-- It may be possible, but you'd have to do some body work, I think.....

All in all, with all the tearing apart and mods youd have to do, I dont think it would be worthwhile.... Keep the dated/classic look of yours and then get the STS if you like the interior.....

I suppose if you wanted to start, go into a junkyard (or find someone with a 96+STS) and take some measurements....... If they arent even close, then you can nip it in the bud......

Night Wolf
10-30-03, 08:48 PM
well, what about '92-'94 with the white on black gauges and stuff...that was all OBD I.....

I LOVE the '96 STS....but I odn't have $7k for one, I would love the newer interrior with the classic styling of the last year for the Coupe DeVille......

Anyone else have any comments?

Ralph
10-30-03, 09:07 PM
The almighty dollar can make anything happen, but it probably isn't worth it.

Night Wolf
10-30-03, 09:13 PM
Well, I know anything can happen with money......

...but I am saying, could I buy an interrior/wrecked car for like $800 and, if it would be simple, do the work myself......

Yet any more comments

Katshot
10-31-03, 05:56 AM
Doing those kind of swaps is always great because they really can change the looks of a car without spending too terribly much. The problem is, you never know if it'll work until you try it. Unless you can find someone who's done it before, it's up to you to find out. Generally speaking, if you stay with the same GM body design and group, you SHOULD be okay. Some interiors are so simple to swap it's unbelievable, but some that are in very similar cars can be a challenge. Measure the two candidates carefully and then decide if you're up for the project.

elwesso
10-31-03, 08:50 PM
Kevin..... How hard would converting a column shift to floor shift be???

Night Wolf
10-31-03, 11:06 PM
Well, both the Eldo and SeVille were redesigned in '92, while the DeVille was held back until '94, so '93 (my year) is the last year of this style, I am pretty sure with the bdy change, other things got updated as well..... I just don't know how well it owuld all swap in with each other.....

elwesso
11-01-03, 09:53 AM
Like Kevin said, since TMK it hasnt been done, your gonna have to start taking the preliminary steps to see if it will work..... If you dont know anyone with this car, ask someone here and maybe they'd be able to take some measurements for you........

Consider yourself a pioneer, as you are the first one to consider this!!!

lev
01-18-04, 01:17 AM
Hey Nightwolf...

Update us on this one will ya...

And I am wondering, if you want to change the interior look, clearly you do not like the old one, so why get a car you know you're going to hate someday? Especially since you said you will own it "forever". No money to get the interior and the car you really want?
Then why not just save and get a Cadillac you really admire, both inside and out. That's how I was with my Fleetwood. I wouldn't just buy anything that has "Cadillac" slapped on it, noah mean? My interior, exterior and wheels have to be exactly what I like.
I think the whole idea... well... makes no sense, I'll just say that. But then again, your car, you want to tear it up, you do that.

Night Wolf
01-18-04, 09:20 AM
It was just something I was thinking about for a bit, but I am not going to do it....

....I never said I hate the interrior of my car.... just that it is dated...everything is horiztonal etc.... and that I like the interrior of the '96 STS alot better....

....I love the car, and the interrior will stay as it is, although someday I would like to get the front seats re-stuffed, as the leather isn't really tight anymore... while the back seat is like brand new (I can feel the differnce instantly) and also I would like to get new foam for the headliner, and all the pillars, as the foam Caddy used dry rots, and if you touch it, the imprint stays....it looks bad on a high end luxury car that you want to keep very nice looking...