: random spring & washer after oil change.

anton_555
06-12-05, 06:25 PM
whilst trying to fix a leaky pan on my 94 deville concours(northstar) i decided to drop out the oil. however after unscrewing and removing the oil filter i reached up to wipe off any excess from the filter housing and was greeted by a 2 inch long spring and a washer falling onto the ground. i think i dislodged them but cant seem to find out where from.

are they from inside the filter housing? i so where do they fir and what do they do?

thanks in advance.

blunted
06-12-05, 08:01 PM
After getting an oil change at a dealership, they said this happened to me and said it was the "check valve for the oil adapter" and that it would affect oil pressure. At that point they gave me two options.. pay a ridiculous $400 for a new oil adapter installation or have the tech try to put everything back in and see what happens. I went with the second one, and haven't had a problem.

anton_555
06-13-05, 12:37 PM
ahhh,

any ideas what they did/how they fixed it? i have an idea that it goes up the secondary vertical tube (outer one) and then the washer is tapped inside the seat to retain the spring but it is quite a tight fit.

dont suppose anyone knows if there is supposed to be a ball bearing there or not?

blunted
06-17-05, 03:34 AM
I think there might be.. although i'am not positive at all and do not really trust dealers, he did say .. "a ball and spring came out when we were doing ur oil change" so I guess there is one.

anton_555
06-17-05, 07:34 AM
thanks, youv cofirmed what i was thinking. The ball goes up the hole first, then the spring to put presure on it, then the washer is tapped in to retain the spring.

the only thing im now unsure of is the ball diameter but as its gotta be bigger than the spring and smaller than the hole so i suppose its gonna be a case of trial and error.

thanks again for the info, much appreciated!!!!

jackc
06-17-05, 11:31 AM
umm - it may be time to think about a new filter adapter. Not sure I'd want to do trial and error engineering on my oiling system......

anton_555
06-17-05, 12:20 PM
considered this option, however if an oil filter adaptor is $400 in the US, imagine how much its gonna be over here in the UK!!! on top of that i have to wait for it to be flown or sailed over here too!

iv also aquired a half inch ball and it fits perfectly so im pretty satisfied it is all ok. i wouldnt have thought cadillac are going to make a random size ball on a mass production engine!!!

if it dont work then guess i'l have to prize open the wallet!!!!

jackc
06-17-05, 01:07 PM
anton - I think i remember seeing the $400 go by earlier and as I recall that was an installed price. Just for grins, I called the local dealer and he's saying the part itself is about $73 list, plus a new pressure switch for $12.29.

If you decide to replace, I wouldn't mind picking one up and sending it to you. Let me know if I can help.

Jack

anton_555
06-17-05, 02:23 PM
thanks Jackc but it looks like i have fully fixed the check valve its all done. however, i dont know if you have seen my other post on here about the monster oilleak i have but sealing and re-torquing all the bolts up on the pan has not helped in the slightest so i'm now going to have to either pull out the engine (not looking forward to that) to reseal the oil manifold. or drop all the pan bolts out and try and seal up the (oil manifold)/(lower crank case) joint with some form of sealer (if possible)!!!!!!!

If the engine has to come out i will have to pay a garage as i dont have the equipment and there are very few northstar experts over here (no caddy dealers).

95Concours
06-17-05, 03:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your dilemma... Just curious, where did you pick the car up since as you state there are no cadillac dealers where you are and how does it feel driving a large american car in the UK? Do you get many looks?

anton_555
06-17-05, 03:31 PM
well, i saw the car for sale, bought it, flew to miami, picked it up in pompano beach (florida), then had it shipped back to the UK. this all took place a couple of months ago and i eventually got it back home a couple of weeks ago so now am sorting out any problems. i also have a problem witht he audio system but this is not too urgent, unlike the oil leak!!!!!

As for driving it, its great, in reality its too big for daily use because of our pathetic little roads but for weekend use its fine, apart from the fact that our fuel prices are 2.5 times the price of yours.......extortion. It certainly gets plenty of attention, everyone stops and stares, asks what it is etc.

a freind of mine has a mint fox body mustang which demands an equal amount of stares!!!!

jackc
06-17-05, 05:12 PM
well, i saw the car for sale, bought it, flew to miami, picked it up in pompano beach (florida),

That's how I got mine too! Did you buy it from Frank and Gina?

anton_555
06-17-05, 05:38 PM
It wasnt from a main dealer, it was from a private trader called bob. Was quite daunting sending money half way around the world to someone i'd never met for a car i'd never seen!!!! worked out fine though, i wouldnt hesitate to do it again either. there are a few niggling faults like the ones iv already metioned and the fact that one of the rear wheels arch trims (spats) is missing but the rest of the car is superb, no dents etc and the vogue tyres and upgraded chrome wheel pack really finishes it off.

Rob Benham
06-18-05, 04:55 AM
Good luck with the leak. Iíve often wondered if you can seal the sump--as we Brits call it--without dropping the engine. The problem seems to be that quite often the worst leak comes from the next layer up.

I once had a 1958 Olds 88 in the UK ( Essex.) It was left behind by a USAF guy, and I paid $300 for it. Drove it round with Washington plates on for a year or so. No MOT in those days.

There is a guy in my home town that has had Caddys for many years. If you get stuck, I could find out where he gets his bits R

anton_555
06-18-05, 08:22 AM
i dont think it is the pan (sump) seal that is leaking but the seal between the 1/4"plate (the oil manifold) and the lower crankcase. I will let you know of the results, good or bad.

nice to see there are some brits around with a bit of taste!!!LOL