: 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Preview

Ralph
06-12-05, 04:37 AM
http://macleans.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Chevrolet.spy?artid=42318

"One thing that has to be said for the current Monte Carlo is that it certainly is distinctive. And most NASCAR fans that I know like its aggressively sloped nose, narrowly slit grille opening and uniquely shaped headlight clusters.

"Its sculpted profile reminds me of the old Monte Carlos of the '70s and '80s, cars I particularly liked at the time. The current model's vertically stacked tail lamps make the Monte's rear styling as unorthodox as its front-end design, while chrome tipped dual exhaust, a deep racing inspired rear valance and large decklid spoiler enhance its appearance in SS trim."

Looks like a Cobalt front end to me....

majax
06-12-05, 05:03 AM
It just does not have the right look IMO to go against the Mustang. Sure it seems like a decent everyday coupe, but nothing too "knock your socks off."

Spyder
06-12-05, 06:46 AM
Doesn't stand out to me...not nearly distinguishable from anything else from the front of the car...The rear is the standard Monte though, but the thing looks kinda boring to me :(

davesdeville
06-12-05, 09:45 AM
I like it, but it's nothing too eyebrow-raising...

Playdrv4me
06-12-05, 12:44 PM
gross.

Sandy
06-12-05, 01:25 PM
I like it because of what it is:

The only remaining full sized V-8 "personal luxury coupe" ~
Gone:
Grand Prix Coupe
Olds Toronado
Buick Riviera
Cadillac Eldorado
Ford Thunderbird
Dodge Mirada/Magnum
Chrysler Cordoba
and any other personal luxury coupes. It has a V-8 and is very nice inside. Further, it can be bought for well under $30,000 and has loads of interior room and a good sized trunk. It does nothing spectacular, but everything most people would want.

illumina
06-12-05, 01:36 PM
"Direct Competitors: Ford Mustang, Honda Accord Coupe, Hyundai Tiburon, Mazda RX-8, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Pontiac G6 Coupe, Toyota Camry Solara."

Can anyone guess why GM is having trouble here?

Stoneage_Caddy
06-12-05, 02:27 PM
I really like the new monte ....even tho its front drive .....

the size of the monte is perfect for me ...and the 5300 V8 gives it some bark for that bite ...

as much as i like it .....to me its spending used corvette or GTO money , unless i can get a monte with cloth seats , moon roof ,handleing suspension and brakes ,and the 5300 engine for under 25k...but i doubt it

HotRodSaint
06-12-05, 02:41 PM
Can anyone guess why GM is having trouble here?

You mean besides trying to sell us a 'Honda-esque' redesigned front-end on an old, heavy FWD coupe while not addressing it's bland rear end styling, clumsy roofline, and lack of RWD? :eek:

If it weren't for the die hard NASCAR fans buying special 'Tony Stewart' versions or the rental car companies buying all the rest, they'd have cancelled this car long ago.

The only good news about GM that I can find in this redesign, is that they didn't spend millions of dollars replacing it with another ugly slow seller. So let's all hope that this quick fix, will buy them the proper time to introduce a car 'worthy' of the Monte Carlo nameplate.

This car is too big and ugly to be a 'chicks' car, and it's doesn't have the type of performance specs that most 'dudes' are seeking when they buy coupes.

It's really only qualified to be my 80 year old grandma's car. But I bet she will thinks it's ugly too! Especially since her favorite all time car was her 1970 Chevelle Malibu.

HotRodSaint
06-12-05, 02:54 PM
"Direct Competitors: Ford Mustang, Honda Accord Coupe, Hyundai Tiburon, Mazda RX-8, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Pontiac G6 Coupe, Toyota Camry Solara."

The number's aren't available seperatley for the 'Accord and Camry Solara', but none of the others EXCEPT the Mustang, sell over 2000 units per month.

And they won't come anywhere close to the Mustang with it's current 20,000 per month numbers with this car.

It's real competition is the Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Stratus and they EACH sell 10,000 per month.

I'd consider this car a success, if it can outsell the newly introduced Eclipse.

But I won't hold my breath in anticipation.

Boombotz
06-12-05, 03:05 PM
gross.

Well said.

Ralph
06-12-05, 05:40 PM
Doesn't stand out to me...not nearly distinguishable from anything else from the front of the car...The rear is the standard Monte though, but the thing looks kinda boring to me :(

I agree with this, and I think it should have been RWD to be considered any competition for a Mustang.

It's a bit boring, and I would still rather have a Mustang GT.

Jesda
06-12-05, 06:07 PM
Its bland, cheap looking, and the name "Monte Carlo" conjures images of mullet heads drinking PBR. The V8 should be sweet though.

Ralph
06-12-05, 06:12 PM
Its bland, cheap looking, and the name "Monte Carlo" conjures images of mullet heads drinking PBR.

LOL, how about the "Mustang?!"

I'll take a 1970 SS454 to go please..... :thumbsup:

illumina
06-12-05, 08:15 PM
The number's aren't available seperatley for the 'Accord and Camry Solara', but none of the others EXCEPT the Mustang, sell over 2000 units per month.

And they won't come anywhere close to the Mustang with it's current 20,000 per month numbers with this car.

It's real competition is the Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Stratus and they EACH sell 10,000 per month.

I'd consider this car a success, if it can outsell the newly introduced Eclipse.

But I won't hold my breath in anticipation.

The reason I stated what I did with the red highlight was to understand why they consider another GM nameplate to be competition: they're competing with their own kind to make sales for Chevy...Or so it seems :hmm:

I agree with the Mustang: GM needs another Camaro and Trans-AM (dipshits should have never cancelled those F-body cars to begin with :tisk: ) to compete with the Mustang. The GTO would be a decent runner against the 'Stang, but is far too expensive head-to-head. The Monte Carlo SS won't even come close as competition for the Ford. Quite simply, I don't know what a FWD 8 cylinder will be competing against. Same for the SS Impala...

All that said, I like the new Monte Carlo and Impala (I like the current generation too) when I look at them long enough, but I just don't understand where the SS models will fit in at.

Sandy
06-12-05, 09:48 PM
I don't see the Monte & the Mustang vying for the same buyer. When were the two of them ever in the same class? The Monte was a personal luxury coupe, the Mustang was a Pony Car.
Accord, Tiburon, and Eclipse are small cars, with tiny back seats. Okay, yes, the Solara is more comparable to the Monte in size & weight, but Solara does not offer a V-8. Both are FWD.Chrysler Sebring & Dodge Stratus COUPES have been discontinued as of April 1st. The two cars I see as direct competition are the Acura Coupe and the Toy Solara, again both FWD - but not V-8s. I think it's in a pretty unique class, but between the 2, I'd opt for a GTO (meaning med-size V-8 Coupes).

Playdrv4me
06-12-05, 11:22 PM
The thing is, Toyota's V6 is smoother, almost as powerful and performs overall better with better fuel economy than the guzzler 5.3L V8 in the Monte Carlo (I dont believe the DOD thing is anymore than a gimmick until I see real world results in comparison with a V6). Its rare for me to say this, but I dont think shoehorning in a V8 was what this car needed. What this car needed was a whole new car, the entire shape is completely out of proportion and it just looks like a big hunk of metal rolling down the street. This thing may be a coupe, but is NOWHERE near the class and style of the ElDorado and Lincoln Mark VIII just because it has a V8. If your going to do something do it all the way, not a half-assed attempt to redo the lukewarm bodystyle and powertrain that already existed. Everyone I know who has owned a current generation Monte absolutely hates it.

For what it is the new V8 powered Impala makes alot more sense and looks better, though IT now lost its aggressive look so it will be interesting to see whether Police departments continue using them.

Ralph
06-12-05, 11:30 PM
I don't see the Monte & the Mustang vying for the same buyer. When were the two of them ever in the same class?

It may not even be that I might consider them in the same class, but I think that if the Monte SS was RWD V8, it would be "pinned" against the Mustang in every car magazine shootout possible. For any reason other than they are sort of like the last reminants of traditional musclecars out there (if you can call them that) with V8 RWD in Coupe form. I believe the Monte could have been made a serious contender for the GT Mustang.

Does that make sense? Since they killed off the F-Body, and not many people can afford a Corvette (except you rich Yanks ;)) the Monte would have huge sales with RWD and a V8 and some decent horsepower to back it up.

In the voice of Marlon Brando......"It could have been a contender..."

HotRodSaint
06-12-05, 11:55 PM
Both are FWD.Chrysler Sebring & Dodge Stratus COUPES have been discontinued as of April 1st.

That must be why Chrysler is making money. Instead of redesigning a coupe that sells 240,000 car's per year, they decide to cancel it.

GM on the other hand, takes on the costly engineering to add a V8 to an ugly coupe that can barely crack 24,000 units per year.

And this is the new GM, with Lutz the car guy!! :suspect:

Sandy
06-13-05, 12:21 AM
Ummmmm, good point. I'll assume your #s are correct....

Stoneage_Caddy
06-13-05, 12:26 AM
The thing is, Toyota's V6 is smoother, almost as powerful and performs overall better with better fuel economy than the guzzler 5.3L V8 in the Monte Carlo (I dont believe the DOD thing is anymore than a gimmick until I see real world results in comparison with a V6). Its rare for me to say this, but I dont think shoehorning in a V8 was what this car needed. What this car needed was a whole new car, the entire shape is completely out of proportion and it just looks like a big hunk of metal rolling down the street. This thing may be a coupe, but is NOWHERE near the class and style of the ElDorado and Lincoln Mark VIII just because it has a V8. If your going to do something do it all the way, not a half-assed attempt to redo the lukewarm bodystyle and powertrain that already existed. Everyone I know who has owned a current generation Monte absolutely hates it.

For what it is the new V8 powered Impala makes alot more sense and looks better, though IT now lost its aggressive look so it will be interesting to see whether Police departments continue using them.
OUCH !!!!

Someone actually thinks the toyta v6 is smoother than the 5300 ....

not sure why america love this 24 valve toyota engine so much , ive driven each version ...it really didnt do anything that stuck in my mind ...its a great engine but it isnt the standard to which all engines are comapred...and you know its running , but it is smooth for a six...whereas the 5300 has to be checked to make sure its running ...now that GM has worked the piston slap bugs out of this generation of SBCs i think in terms of refinemnt it will run circles around the toyo engine ...just not to the gas station ...even with DoD fuel saveings are not that significant , remeber thats the SS model too ...

Also remeber so far in testing the 5300 Powered Impala SS runs the 1/4 faster than the 96 Impala SS ...so they are earning there SS badges

but those are the SS models.....which is where i get worried , because the mid range engine is the new varibale valve pushrod 3.9 (thats right variable valves on a pushrod engine) thats based off the 3.5 ..which traces it roots back to the old greasy 2.8 ...no matter what GM ever done to this lump its never been right ...and i dont think it will still be any match for the 24 valve toyota ....

So does that mean all of you like last years monte beatter ? i personally think this car is an excelent step in the right direction ..because the last car was designed after a morning of fighting the toothpaste tube for the last gooey morsel ...The last monte was ugly as sin , this one is much beatter looking ...

just wait till you see them ont he street on something other than those gastly 18 inch wheels , which by the way are too solid of a wheel for a car like that ...

Little known fact , after the c5 Vette John Caffero's next 2 projects were the Impala and the Bonneville ...stands to reason that all three cars were very nice looking ....Not sure what hes up to these days , he is one hell of a car desginer ...

Playdrv4me
06-13-05, 01:32 AM
Well I mean I have a variant of that 5300 in my truck and yea its a nice solid engine, I dont have any complaints about it except I only get 14mpg even on the highway. Its a truck with big wheels and a cold air intake so it stands to reason its not going to get any MPG awards, but I still am not impressed by anything else the engine does. It seems to lack some low end grunt and I think GM really addressed this in the 6000 and their terrific Duramax diesel. I just feel like Im wasting alot of Gas and not getting any real satisfaction in return. I dont want a V8 just to have a V8. The 4.4L unit in my 740 was a much more efficient and smoother engine, albeit in a much lighter vehicle (though not a whole bunch).

I just think the Monte didnt need a V8 is all, a high-po V6 done right with new sheetmetal would have been ok with me.

Ralph
06-13-05, 01:35 AM
Well I mean I have a variant of that 5300 in my truck and yea its a nice solid engine, I dont have any complaints about it except I only get 14mpg even on the highway. Its a truck with big wheels and a cold air intake so it stands to reason its not going to get any MPG awards, but I still am not impressed by anything else the engine does. It seems to lack some low end grunt and I think GM really addressed this in the 6000 and their terrific Duramax diesel. I just feel like Im wasting alot of Gas and not getting any real satisfaction in return. I dont want a V8 just to have a V8. The 4.4L unit in my 740 was a much more efficient and smoother engine, albeit in a much lighter vehicle (though not a whole bunch).

I just think the Monte didnt need a V8 is all, a high-po V6 done right with new sheetmetal would have been ok with me.

I bet the LS430 got more than twice that mileage.

I like the new BMW 3 series Ian! I checked them out thououghly this weekend. I couldn't find a very good seating position in the M3. Forgive me Caddy lovers, for I too have sinned. I liked the 330i though.

Playdrv4me
06-13-05, 01:39 AM
I bet the LS430 got more than twice that mileage.

I like the new BMW 3 series Ian! I checked them out thououghly this weekend. I couldn't fina a very good seating position in the M3. Forgive me Caddy lovers, for I too have sinned.

I cant fault you for that! You know most BMW's are right up there with Caddies and Merc's for me. You cant go wrong with any of the three.

You were right about the Lexus, it got real good mileage, but I dont think it quite got 30mpg or anything like that. I liked the BMW V8 more than the Lexus one.

Jesda
06-13-05, 01:41 AM
The Monte was a personal luxury coupe

Minus the look, feel, and image of luxury. Its just awkwardly sporty.

Ralph
06-13-05, 01:47 AM
I cant fault you for that! You know most BMW's are right up there with Caddies and Merc's for me. You cant go wrong with any of the three.

You were right about the Lexus, it got real good mileage, but I dont think it quite got 30mpg or anything like that. I liked the BMW V8 more than the Lexus one.

I'm sure the Lexus V8 is smooth. I was totally impressed with the Lexus GS430 (?) interior and body style. The new rounded Lexi. Love that wood.

If I had to drive a German car it would be the new 330i. I don't need anything as big as my Caddy, but it's nice when traveling. Lots of technology and a 50/50 weight distribution. The salesman explained all the engine testing they do, etc. Made of magnesium, etc. I think that I-drive is optional, but I would never order it OR the Nav screen.

Regarding the new Monte, I would only accept an SS model, but I would have to see them in person. The Cobalt front-end has me stunned and I don't know why they would do that to the Monte. Also checked out a Cobalt SS in black and wasn't that impressed. It just seems a bit boring and maybe that's why I don't like the Cobalt-ish front end on the Monte. They are trying to clone them. I fear that after driving a Cadillac I have been too spoiled for a "Chevy."

davesdeville
06-13-05, 05:34 AM
I agree with the Mustang: GM needs another Camaro and Trans-AM (dipshits should have never cancelled those F-body cars to begin with :tisk: ) to compete with the Mustang. The GTO would be a decent runner against the 'Stang, but is far too expensive head-to-head. The Monte Carlo SS won't even come close as competition for the Ford. Quite simply, I don't know what a FWD 8 cylinder will be competing against. Same for the SS Impala...

GM does need a Mustang fighter. The GTO is not it, neither is the Monte Carlo. The GTO is better in just about every respect, but it's more expensive. The Monte Carlo seems to aim a bit lower than the Mustang because it's FWD...

The FWD V8s will just compete with all the other FWD V6s but will out do them. They don't need a V8 to compete there but hell it can't hurt.

addison_ii
06-13-05, 05:46 AM
I think the Monte Carlo should go back to the days of old. If I could have a say so it
would come with a 4.2V8(base) or choice of 350 0r 454 v8, rwd, and the styling would make it stand out and turn hands. SS version would have supercharged 350,dual exhaust, and other features worthy of it having the SS designation. but that is in my world.

Ralph
06-13-05, 07:16 PM
I think the Monte Carlo should go back to the days of old. If I could have a say so it
would come with a 4.2V8(base) or choice of 350 0r 454 v8, rwd, and the styling would make it stand out and turn hands. SS version would have supercharged 350,dual exhaust, and other features worthy of it having the SS designation. but that is in my world.

I agree. They could come out with a retro-SS version that is V8 RWD to compete with the Mustang, but give it enough engine to do it!

It would sell!!

HotRodSaint
06-13-05, 11:43 PM
Forget about the Monte Carlo nameplate. It was never a performance car, and it never was sought after by hot rodders.

What GM needs is a Camaro. They know it.

I bet it's 3 years away.

Ralph
06-14-05, 12:11 AM
The reason I stated what I did with the red highlight was to understand why they consider another GM nameplate to be competition: they're competing with their own kind to make sales for Chevy...Or so it seems

He gets it.

ben72227
06-14-05, 12:41 AM
The Monte was a luxury coupe. Not a sports car, not a Nascar look-alike, etc. The REAL Monte was gorgeous (you all remember Denzel Washington's car from Training Day - that was the Monte in its prime.) Now its just another bad Chevy car, like the Cavalier and the Impala. Nothing special about these cars, and in the Monte's case, its just plain out BAD.

As for the Camaro issue, right now at Lutz's blog (fastlane.gmblogs.com), all of the posters are spamming his topics asking about an RWD, Mustang fighter since he said a while back that GM was "researching nostalgia vehicles":histeric:

What I don't understand, is why they won't release a pony car, or even like a hmmm. maybe a Chevelle (a "nostalgia" car) or something? to compete with the Dodge Charger and the Mustang? But then they release the HHR, which is WAAAAAAAAAAY behind the Pt Cruiser, and really nobody REALLY likes these types of cars anyway. I mean, they could easily release a pony car right now, but oh well. GM is just run by a bunch of morons I guess. I bet by next summer they will be out of business. I mean, they've really hit rock bottom with these "employee prices for everyone" rebates. What's next? Free cars...:confused:

illumina
06-14-05, 01:05 AM
He gets it.

:D