: Ford Plans Ultra-Powerful Focus RS Model

Ralph
06-12-05, 04:18 AM
"This model, co-developed with engine developer Cosworth Engineering, is expect to feature a high-pressure turbocharged 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder to exceed 300-horsepower, with some estimates boasting output will be as high as 350-horsepower and 332 lb-ft of torque."

http://macleans.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=42341&pg=2

majax
06-12-05, 05:05 AM
Nice to see the good European cars are coming over here *cough*GTO*cough*
I guess it does not seem like I am on GM's side tonight, lol.

Spyder
06-12-05, 06:44 AM
Ugh...I hate the focus...wish they'd do it with something a little better looking and not so cheap to sit in...but then again, any little car with a big motor is a plus in my book :)

davesdeville
06-12-05, 09:38 AM
I don't think that engine will make it to the US. The Mustang is Fords fast car, and kind of like how GM doesn't let any of their products be faster than the Z06 Vette, I don't forsee Ford letting a little econobox beat the stang. Then again this could be wishful thinking because it's going to take a lot of power in my car to beat one of those damn things.

Blackout
06-12-05, 11:49 AM
I don't think that engine will make it to the US. The Mustang is Fords fast car, and kind of like how GM doesn't let any of their products be faster than the Z06 Vette, I don't forsee Ford letting a little econobox beat the stang. Then again this could be wishful thinking because it's going to take a lot of power in my car to beat one of those damn things.No offense but you would need to spend a shit load of money just to hang with the regualr RS let alone a even higher performance version of the car

Stoneage_Caddy
06-12-05, 12:06 PM
i think the focus with the volvo turbo 5cyl will make it over here tho ....

Playdrv4me
06-12-05, 12:43 PM
The Lightning was always faster than the Mustang and its technically just an F150 with go-fast gear on it. If Ford really wanted to, they could bring this thing here.

HotRodSaint
06-12-05, 03:10 PM
What Ford should be thinking about, is that the WRX and EVO buyers aren't likely to consider a Mustang anyway (or a Ford Lightning). These buyers would consider an AWD Rallye inspired Cosworth Ford RS though.

If the goal is to sell more cars in the US, then Ford really has no choice. They have to bring over a 'euro' performance version, to give street cred to it's lessor siblings with the boy racer crowd.

The name Cosworth Ford has lots of brand recognition in the US within the circle of enthusiats that who would consider buying this car. This is especailly amazing, since Ford has never marketed a Cosworth Ford to us yanks.

And with the 500hp Shelby coming, the Mustang will still be a very desirable performance car.

davesdeville
06-13-05, 04:48 AM
No offense but you would need to spend a shit load of money just to hang with the regualr RS let alone a even higher performance version of the car

None taken since you'd probably have to spend more. :p The "regular" RS will be close to an SRT-4, so I'd need about 2 seconds since they run mid-low 14s up here, which is just a $400 nitrous kit (and some sticky tires) away for the ETC. Actually at this altitude a N/A motor isn't going to do as well as the SRT-4's turbo 4, so probably less than 2 sec. When I get around to building up a 500 for my 75 Deville or 78 Fleetwood, the highest performance one shouldn't be hard to run down.