: New Cluster - Help

WoodShoe
06-12-05, 03:06 AM
So the stealer found the problem... I needed a new cluster. Dont even ask how much it was. :eek:. Anyway, I got one...now I need to get it programed. (Options Not Set) Can I do this on my own? Or do I have to go back to the stealer to get it done...Thnx.

davesdeville
06-12-05, 07:27 AM
How much was it? :p Sorry.

No idea if you can do it yourself. Did you buy it from the stealer and install it yourself or...? Have a FSM?

turbojimmy
06-12-05, 07:37 AM
If you got it from the stealer have them figure out how to have it programmed. As far as I know, which isn't much, only the VIN and odometer need tweaked (and not all clusters need the VIN). All the other info comes from the PCM and BCM in the car. The odometer and VIN cannot be programmed by the dealer - Specmo has to do it.

Hopefully you got one from a salvage yard or eBay. When I was looking into ones or my car the remans were $875.

Jim

WoodShoe
06-12-05, 08:49 AM
Lets hope no one on this forum has to buy a new one... 3500$ :bonkers:. The car broke down 200 miles from home, so I had it towed to some crack ass GM dealer, who had no Idea what they were doing and were killing me with useless labour hours. So after they figued out it was the cluster,(took them 2 hours) they suggested I get a rebuilt one shipped, they happened to know a shop that FedEx'd them. (thank god) although it was still 600 bux, I was relieved because I didnt have to spend 3thousand. After about 5 hours of labour of doing absolutley nothing, i finally decided it was time to just drive it home. If this happened here, I would have saved my self lots of money by doing it on my own. But it didnt :( Anyway, I made it home, but I still have no idea why my other cluster melted, the air bag codes are going, and I have to get the vin programmed into it, the speedo and tach wont work, but I figure its because I have 2 get it programmed...and who the heck is Spemco.

turbojimmy
06-12-05, 11:30 AM
and who the heck is Spemco.

Specmo is the exclusive remanufacturer and distributor of the Cadillac clusters. The $600 sounds about right. The dealer would've got it from Specmo - there's no one else. Go to www.specmo.com and get their phone #. They'll program it for $250.

Jim

WoodShoe
06-12-05, 05:22 PM
Well @#$% me sideways. That seems like a lot of money to program a piece of plastic with a vin. That GM dealer told me my caddy dealer could do it. I guess ill find out on monday....P.s. I live in Canada EH. Do we have this Specmo in canada? Oh and mr. goodwrench told me I shouldn't drive it around 2 much with it not programed or it might not take the vin..is that right? Sounds fishy to me.

turbojimmy
06-12-05, 05:56 PM
Well @#$% me sideways. That seems like a lot of money to program a piece of plastic with a vin. That GM dealer told me my caddy dealer could do it. I guess ill find out on monday....P.s. I live in Canada EH. Do we have this Specmo in canada? Oh and mr. goodwrench told me I shouldn't drive it around 2 much with it not programed or it might not take the vin..is that right? Sounds fishy to me.

It will always take the VIN. You can drive it around as much as you want. I don't think the Caddy dealer can do it, but see what happens. When I replaced mine Specmo told me the dealers can't do the ODOs or the VINs, but the VIN thing varies by model. I didn't bother having mine reprogrammed, but it worked without having to mess with it (odometer is incorrect of course, but I don't care).

Good luck!

Jim