: How To Get a Job

majax
06-11-05, 11:22 PM
I almost got one washing cars for $6.00 an hour washing cars but the guy found out that the position was filled the day before. I have applied everywhere only to be ignored or writen a thanks but we found better letter and your in our files. It seems they don't take the chance to meet me, if they did like the guy at the car dealership I think they'd want to hire me. I thought about walkin into dealerships and different places and asking for cleaning or whatever jobs. I have a few odd jobs but Ineed something full time.

Msilva954
06-11-05, 11:55 PM
psh..your not alone...south florida sucks for jobs...ive wanted one for the last three years lmao...each year they say you gotta be a year older...unless you have connections its seeming more and more like you cant get a job.

majax
06-12-05, 12:35 AM
Thanks man. For me it's being 15 that I really think may be draggin me down. Though I probably should not I am avoiding fast jobs like the plague.

davesdeville
06-12-05, 08:13 AM
I'm in the same position. Although I've been lazy and only applied at 6 places I haven't gotten even one call. I'm applying at UHaul and a theater tomorrow. Both have help wanted signs, whereas the other 6 didn't. If I don't get hired at either of those, I'll probably say screw it and wait until August 22 when I'm 18 so I can either work security or as a driver.

JimHare
06-12-05, 09:03 AM
Hey guys, this old fart can sympathize with your positions. I remember (believe it or not) back when I was your age. There was NOTHING in the sleepy old burg available where I grew up except helping out at the local farm market/mom & pop grocery store or caddying at the golf course 6 miles away. I did both. It's tough when you're young and you actually WANT to work. Nowadays, the burger flipping route is about the only formal thing open to many young kids, other than perhaps bag boy at the local Food Lion or something like that. 15 year olds are tough to hire, legally. What you might try is finding jobs at 'fringe' employment places where they might not be all that picky about who works - landscape contractors, farm/garden type things, etc. I'm not all that familiar with your locations, so it's hard to say what to look for. I caddied for two years during summers before I could earn enough to be a little more selective. Try dragging two golf bags around a hilly 18 hole course, twice a day on Sat & Sun for about 20 bucks a trip (and it was uphill both ways...lol)

Keep at it. Good luck. Oh, one other thing - make sure that your first couple of places that you work at, you do a GOOD JOB, so you can count on them for good references as you move along. Don't get a snootful up your nose and cuss out the owner one morning as you come to work late. Righteous indignation doesn't look good on a teenager looking for a job..

jspano
06-12-05, 09:13 AM
good advice jim
i always tell my sons not to burn any bridges behind them

Spyder
06-12-05, 11:34 AM
Hehehe...unrelated and not very helpful, buuut...The nightclub where I bartend at, we just FIRED a bouncer. We found out that he was only SEVENTEEN. The kid looked about 25, was 6'5 and three hundred pounds, with an incredibly good fake ID.

majax
06-12-05, 08:34 PM
Keep at it. Good luck. Oh, one other thing - make sure that your first couple of places that you work at, you do a GOOD JOB, so you can count on them for good references as you move along. Don't get a snootful up your nose and cuss out the owner one morning as you come to work late. Righteous indignation doesn't look good on a teenager looking for a job..Did you learn from experience ;) good advice

Msilva954
06-12-05, 08:57 PM
Ive taken 10 county job tests...I can only hope I get more interviews in the next couple weeks.

Jesda
06-12-05, 10:22 PM
Dont think of it as finding a job. Think of it as selling yourself. Take all your faults, pitch them, and find ways to show that you're persistent, confident, dedicated, and able to put up with whatever comes your way. Of course, with jobs like car washing and detailing, you just have to be healthy and have a clean background. They prefer younger folks who wont get too bored with the work.

Boombotz
06-12-05, 10:57 PM
That is really good advice Jesda just gave.

I am a General Manager for a large service/construction company in FL. and we get young guys coming in all the time for positions. We know how to weed the non-motivated type people. And we do judge a book by its cover. Dress well, look clean-up, no body jewlery, Be polite, talk like an adult not like we are one of you G's on the street. Think if you were the owner, would you hire yourself if you came walking in the door to help run the business which feeds his family and pays the bills. I am very strict on appearence when it comes to non-technical jobs. We can hire anyone. You need to leave a lasting impression on the person interviewing you or even the person you ask to get a application and the one you hand the application to. That person reports to me when its time for me to review the apps. We have codes she writes on the app to tell me how you were when you didn't think you were being judge. That is the best time for us to notice the true you. When it comes to technical positions than thats when education and previous experience comes to play.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-12-05, 11:53 PM
as some of you know i had a hard time recently getting a replacemnt job for my goverment gig ....It had been 6 years since i looked for work , and my first time looking for work since i was 17 ...
I built a resume , listed the places ive worked , and things ive done ....Citeing exapme of how i can pay "attention to detail" , "Networking" (making freinds kinda stuff) , and that sort of thing ....

Begin Ex Military i know how to "clean up" for a job ...for 2 years after the military i had been wearing a shit and tie , cufflings ,gold watch the whole kit and kaboodle , dressed beatter than anyone there ...so when i went out looking for work that became my "job" and i dressed for it . I call it the "executive" look , you want to look like you own a company , and you want to carry yourself with that confidence ...posture ,poise, ediquate , and how you communicate sould be in such a manner the people you are dealing with dont know weather your looking for work or you own the company ...

Also find a way to learn about the company in which your applying for , and make damn sure you know about the company if you get an interview ....them them what they need that you can bring to the table ....

This is some of the stuff i used to get the job over at the auto parts store ....some people say it was overkill ....but i didnt have time to screw around ....even the manager said it was very unsusual to have someone come in looking like i did and shake there hand and give him a full professional resume ...then the fact he was so impressed with my car .....

its slow going guys ...at 15 your almost forced into looking at bagging grocerys at the super market ....but dont be afrid to treat it as if your applying to runt he comapny , dress good , carry yourself well , use proper manners and communications skills ....distance yourself from the rest fo your peers by polishing what makes you diffrent ....

be the one that shows up looking professional instead of the one in the ac/dc shirt (or whatever they wear now)....

anything else you wanna know ask , these forums are full of sucess , thats why they drive cadillacs

Jesda
06-13-05, 12:38 AM
Look smart, sell yourself, and be friendly and easygoing (it comes across as enthusiastic).

I want this guy's job:
http://img251.echo.cx/img251/7645/charminsqueeze4ss.gif

davesdeville
06-13-05, 04:16 AM
Hehe stoney, watch those typos about what you wear. I'd hate to show up to a job interview in shit and a tie. :p

addison_ii
06-13-05, 04:29 AM
I actually am going through the same thing myself and I'm 24. The town where I am from was settled by families whose main source of income was the local auto plants. But as of lately they have been closing up and laying off thereby driving the local economy/job market to the dumps. As I sit and type I am currently in Minneapolis/St.Paul looking for a job. I am going to be down here for a week to try and find a job and an apartment.

JimHare
06-13-05, 06:51 AM
Did you learn from experience ;) good adviceActually, no, believe it or not - but I've been working since I was 15 in everything from KP (e.g. washing pots and pans) to highly technical in-flight radar systems. I've seen a lot of "younger" people in various jobs who had the 'attitude', and they never seemed to last long.
As Stoney said, appearance is also very important - wear pants that fit, a regular dress shirt, and tie your freakin' shoelaces. Leave the bling at home (if you are in the habit of wearing it) and maybe even go the extra mile and shave. Now obviously, if you're applying for a job slinging hog manure at the local fertilizer plant, it's maybe not so important, but for 95% of most jobs, the owner or the person hiring you will notice that you care enough about things to at least attempt to present a good impression. One of my jobs way back around the Civil War (or so it seems...lol) was as a job placement consultant. Some of these jobs were just entry level things, but a good proportion were for "middle management" or "professional" type jobs. Virtually all of the employers judged appearance and deportment as very critical issues for entry level positions - they didn't expect that you would know the job being offered, they expected to train you in it. But they did expect that you would be able to speak English with some confidence, write a complete sentance, and know how to bathe and dress with some success.

Oh, and one more thing - a word of advice - turn OFF your cell phone while you're being interviewed. Nothing can piss off a hiring manager quicker than being interrupted by some nitwit calling you to ask "hey, watcha doin?"...

I know it sounds like bullcrap, but for your first few jobs, you really need to at least give the impression that you like working for the guy, enjoy the work, and would take a bullet for his company.

Don't despair - there are millons of jobs out there for entry level people - many employers go begging for the lower strata of jobs because so many people think they're better than that - no one wants to start at the bottom. That's why we import thousands of kids from Hungary and Czechoslovaki and Russia to fill the summer/low end types of jobs - American kids think they're too good for $5.25 an hour. Next time you pass a migrant working and think "man, those freakin' (insert favorite minority group here)'s are stealing jobs from us Americans", remember that for the most part, they're only doing jobs that the employer couldn't find LOCAL people to fill....

Good luck.

iametarq
06-13-05, 10:56 AM
I finished college at Michigan State a year ago. I had my fun summer job working at a traditional summer camp for kids (cabin counselor 2 years, maintenance director 2 years, sailing director 2 years, now i live there!), for the last 6 years, from the time i finished high school.

Until I found my full time job I am currently working (which I also love) I went to a temporary work agency and did some temp work. I worked at a Recycling center for part of it, picking up trash, and moving plastic, paper, glass, cardboard, all kinds of sh** literally. It paid decently also. I worked my a$$ off, and the manager who ran the place always asked if I could work again next week, every friday. after about 2 months of that I told him I couldn't come back because I had found work in my field. He told me me has sad to lose me because I worked hard, and he wanted to train me on the big machinery. Though he did say he was glad I found full time work also.

If there is ONE thing I learned from that job it is to NEVER sh*t on the man who moves the trash or mops the floor, because someone's gotta do it, and everyone deserves to make a living, no matter what the job is clean or dirty.

and if you recycle, please sort your recyclables. ;) it saves that guy a lot of time. nothing pissed us off more than finding a cardboard box full of packing peanuts or your trash. having to pull all the crap out of the cardboard stops productivity and drives us nuts!

Playdrv4me
06-13-05, 12:47 PM
It just depends on what your willing to do and how fast you can build up experience. I started working when I was 15 in Guatemala at an computer shop where my dad was one of the partners. When I was 17 I got my first job in the states at an Office Max as a sales floor associate/technology associate. These jobs built up a reputation for customer service and reliability.

At 18 I was hired by the bank I work for now at a salary most any 18 year old would be happy to have. I made myself the goal of slumming it taking calls for no more than I had to and soon got into the tech support department. I kept moving up the ladder in pay and responsibility until I left sometime in 2004 to go work for what I thought was an even better company in Texas. I really missed the bank so I came back and havent looked back, despite the fact the company I was working for has offered me over 10k more than I currently make. I am still only 22 years old and have no real formal education which I need to take care of.
Also... try to make friends with your superiors and watch how they work. I learned so much from my different managers over the years (and thankfully I had mostly terrific ones) I was able to apply it to each job I had and it helped me tremendously.

My point is, the sky is the limit, but you really have to be happy with what your doing and realize that it will take time and dedication to build up the one thing any employer values almost over anything else.... EXPERIENCE.

Northstar_V8
06-13-05, 02:07 PM
I actually have a a job cleaning/detailing used cars at the Saturn dealership! I have been working there for the last two months and it is great! I have been looking for a job in this feild ever since a got my license a year ago! When I first started searching I applied at most of the car dealerships and rental lots, But they were either not hiring or couldn't hire me becuase of insurance reasons! It was actually my dad who got me the job! He somwhat knows one of the salesmen at the Saturn used car sector and asked if they were hiring any car washers/detailers! The next day I was in for an interview and got the job just like that! It is in my opinion the best job I could possibly get! I spend multiple hours detailing my own car but now I get paid to do other cars! Thursday evening I got to polish and wax a 97 Corvette convertible!

Wazzupy
06-13-05, 06:32 PM
I don't think I can get a job for a few years, unless my bro helped me get one were he works.