: Won't shift out of 1st gear

JennManz
10-30-03, 02:12 PM
I just bought a 1994 Cadillac Devill Concours about 2 months ago. SInce then I have had an issue with the EGR valve, which I have replaced, and now it seems the car will not shift out of 1st gear. It will not go over 17 MPH.. It was riding perfectly and all of a sudden this happened. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? If so, any suggestions for a solution?? Thanks!! :annoyed:

the Sandman
10-30-03, 02:27 PM
Hmm, tranny problems suck. Could be a bad solenoid, could be some internal parts have worn/broken. First things to do would be to check for codes and check the trans fluid for level, smell, and color. To check for codes (from Caddyinfo.com):
Turn the ignition switch ON.
On the Climate Control panel, press the OFF and WARM buttons simultaneously.
Hold the buttons depressed until all display segments on the CC/DIC and instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) illuminate.
After the segment check, the diagnostic trouble codes will be displayed. Each trouble code consists of the system identifier, a three-digit code identifier and the current or history identifier. If no codes are present for a system, a NO X CODE or NO X DATA message will be displayed.

E -- ECM trouble code
P -- PCM trouble code
C -- Current trouble code
H -- History trouble code
NO X CODE -- No code present (X represents the system)
NO X DATA -- Communication lines are not operating (X represents the system)
Let us know what you find.

And BTW - Welcome to the CadillacForums! If you get a chance say hello in the New Member Introduction Forum. :)

elwesso
10-30-03, 08:40 PM
I say its a solenoid, without knowing codes.......

Do you have any idea how well the tranny has been maintained????? Fluid changes???