: Price remarks by Toyota chief could be illegal

HotRodSaint
06-11-05, 11:36 AM
For the second time in about two weeks, the chairman of Toyota Motor in Japan said the automaker is likely to raise U.S. prices and give struggling Detroit car companies room to raise theirs a comment U.S. antitrust experts say is ill-advised and borders on illegal.

Inviting competitors to match your price increases can be illegal "price signaling," says lawyer Jim Weiss, former head of an antitrust unit at the Justice Department and now in private practice at a law firm specializing in antitrust.

If rivals don't follow, no violation. "But it invites the government to look into what you're doing. When the government looks into what you're doing, they frequently find something, even if it's not what they intended," he says.

Antitrust lawyers say the Justice Department is likely to take note of the comments and watch for unusual moves in Detroit automakers' pricing. (http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-06-09-toyota-usat_x.htm)

Spyder
06-11-05, 08:51 PM
First of all, that's a nice looking car at the bottom of your post there, eh

Playdrv4me
06-12-05, 12:52 PM
It would be hard not to find some sort of clerical legal problem at any major US coroporation these days. I still think Toyota shouldnt have to change anything their doing because of the failures of our domestic brands, but if they want to more power to em.

ben72227
06-12-05, 01:05 PM
It's a very noble thing for Toyota to do, but at the same time it's kinda like them saying "haha, we won with our little econoboxes, and now GM will be out of business by next summer." Has anyone else noticed the new rebate program - GM employee discounts for everyone! The commercial for it had a nice lookin Cien in the first part of it, which makes me wonder why that car isn't out yet...:thumbsup:Another GM failure I suppose;)

HotRodSaint
06-12-05, 03:34 PM
First of all, that's a nice looking car at the bottom of your post there, eh

Thanks! :thumbsup:

HotRodSaint
06-12-05, 03:37 PM
It's a very noble thing for Toyota to do, but at the same time it's kinda like them saying "haha, we won with our little econoboxes, and now GM will be out of business by next summer."

I thought it was noble at first too.

But now I am thinking it's a brilliant PR move to make it appear that their price increase is to help American manufacturers, when in reality it's to adjust for the falling dollar.

davesdeville
06-13-05, 04:38 AM
HRS nailed it with that last post... Companies in direct competition are not "noble." If there was a button to send GM out of business this instant, I'd bet every penny I'm worth Toyota would push it in an instant.