: Considering building my own CAI; input requested

SiCk PuPpY
06-10-05, 06:09 PM
I'm exploring the possibility of building my own cold Air intake set-up for my V. I have full access to metal brakes and all the necessary fab equipment. All I need is the following:

-Detailed pics of an existing CAI set-up (on and off the car)
-Measurements of the components and filter size
-A list of all the components in a CAI kit

If one of my fellow V owners can provide me with this info, I would be indebted to them as would the rest of the V community. I am most confident that I could reproduce this part for our Vs at a substantial savings to anyone interested.

Any takers?

JD

V-seriesTech
06-10-05, 06:18 PM
Great idea man. I would think all you need is the equipment you have access to,..and a stock V elbow. You could probably get the length measurments from that piece, as well as width, and were to make the bend. Thinest wall tube as possable,...then(if metal) have it jet coated. Just keep
'eyeing" it with the MAF, and the throttle body,...makeing sure not to build it too long,..or too short, ya know.

Again, great idea.

Jamie

ace996
06-10-05, 08:06 PM
There is sufficient room in the V to make something more efficient, but please make it sealed....there is a great value to a larger-sealed box that holds a panel or (large)cone filter. If you keep the stock intake horn, by the rad, then the pressurized box with free-flowing filter would be an advantage. Keep in mind, bike and car companies spend countless dollars(in their racing machines) to design larger airboxes that have some sort of ram-air effect. Take a look at ITG Filters, they have many parts that could help you, including a ram-kit that allows a sealed-cone with ram-intake snorkel. I may need to order a kit and see what can be done.
http://www.itgairfilters.com/content2.asp?section=maxogen
Optimally, intake air would be rammed and there would be a big box with big panel(S). That would allow for greater surface area and easier maintenance, fwiw.

Good luck,
ace996

SiCk PuPpY
06-10-05, 08:32 PM
Great inputs guys! Everyone that already has a CAI, please post up what you do/ or do not like about your current set-up and what type it is.

I will be conducting extensive research into velocity as well as a possible "Ram Air" system and tune this system to perfection..

Rey
06-10-05, 08:36 PM
Here is what I did. First, I installed the Lingenfelter CAI, which uses a short piece of 4" tubing to the air filter. This is coupled to the Mass Airflow Sensor with a short piece of silicon.
I used these parts and others to clone Stealth's intake. Stealths is 3.5". I noted that neither Stealth, Lingenfelter nor More said anything about removal of the Mass Airflow Sensor screen. Two friends of mine had removed theirs with no ill effect. According to Will Handzel in this book on Gen III motors, the screen is there largely to straighten out airflow after it makes a 90 degree bend. Also, I think the screen serves to attenuate intake sound. Handzel goes on to say that the screen is not necessary and is not included in applications where the airflow is straight.
It seemed to me that it might be better to place the Mass Airflow Sensor closer to the throttle body, and that is what I did. Instead of a short 4" tube, I used a much longer tube, like around 18" from the airfilter to the Mass Airflow Sensor, using again the short Lingenfelter silicon connecter tubing.
The real problem with this installation and the thing that will prevent most aftermarket mfgs from duplicating it is that one must splice in about a foot of wires (five) to lengthen the plug to the Mass Airflow Sensor. A mfg would make up a jumper, but I think it will be almost impossible to find the GM style plugs, so one is left with splicing and soldering a jumper.
The next problem is finding a 90 degree rubber elbow to connect the Mass Airflow Sensor to the throttle body. You need 4" at the throttle body and 3.5 inches at the Mass Airflow Sensor. You can find everything you need at Airflow Systems for less than $50 http://shop.airflowonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv.
A note on the Mass Airflow Sensor screen. It is pretty restrictive. I crushed the mesh to a solid shape that measures about 0.75 sq. inch. What I have read is that its removal will give you about 1% more power.
My installation fits very well and with very little clearance. I now have 8K miles on it with no rubbing or adverse effects. If someone can tell me how to attach photos, I will do so.

DgtalPimp
06-10-05, 08:40 PM
Email me DgtalPimp@GMail.com and I'll host the hi res pics

Dreamin
06-10-05, 09:37 PM
-Detailed pics of an existing CAI set-up (on and off the car)
-Measurements of the components and filter size
-A list of all the components in a CAI kit

Shouldn't the title of this post be: Considering stealing someone else's CAI work and copying it

wildwhl
06-10-05, 11:30 PM
Shouldn't the title of this post be: Considering stealing someone else's CAI work and copying it

:yup: Hit the nail on the head, Dreamin

:nono:

WW

LV_V
06-11-05, 12:29 AM
I think it should have been called: trying to find a CAI solution that uses ~$80 in parts for less than $250...

BTW - My More Performance CAI is a piece of $hit; the plastic tube is being cut by the sheet metal that keeps the filter seperated from the engine compartment. If you come up with a solution here I will most definately give it a try. I was thinking of going with a StealthV tube/elbow with the Lingenfelter air filter by the way.

SiCk PuPpY
06-11-05, 12:35 AM

Ouch, nice jab. I won't split hairs or go into semantics over my attempts at modifying/ improving on existing designs, but I will change my header to appease those interested in strict political correctness.

I wonder of Henry Ford is rolling over in his grave at the thought of others "stealing" his automobile ideas..... (sorry about the jab back, just trying to make a point before this topic gets too far off track). In my initial post, I should have been more specific in regards to why I was after specific measurements on current designs. Hell, I can simply fab up my own and motor on down the road, but i'm sure it wouldn't be as good a design as it might with current design insight and refinement. I'm not gonna get my panties in a bunch over this, so flame on if you choose to do so.

My goal is to analyze existing designs and create something better for the V crowd specifically at a significant savings or even turn the designs over to the tech forum. If you view that as "stealing" then we will agree to disagree.

SiCk PuPpY
06-11-05, 12:45 AM
I think it should have been called: trying to find a CAI solution that uses ~$80 in parts for less than $250...

BTW - My More Performance CAI is a piece of $hit; the plastic tube is being cut by the sheet metal that keeps the filter seperated from the engine compartment. If you come up with a solution here I will most definately give it a try. I was thinking of going with a StealthV tube/elbow with the Lingenfelter air filter by the way.

If you can, take some pics (and a specific description) of the area that you are having trouble with and I'll make sure to address that in my redesign.

SiCk PuPpY
06-11-05, 12:52 AM
There is sufficient room in the V to make something more efficient, but please make it sealed....there is a great value to a larger-sealed box that holds a panel or (large)cone filter. If you keep the stock intake horn, by the rad, then the pressurized box with free-flowing filter would be an advantage. Keep in mind, bike and car companies spend countless dollars(in their racing machines) to design larger airboxes that have some sort of ram-air effect. Take a look at ITG Filters, they have many parts that could help you, including a ram-kit that allows a sealed-cone with ram-intake snorkel. I may need to order a kit and see what can be done.
http://www.itgairfilters.com/content2.asp?section=maxogen
Optimally, intake air would be rammed and there would be a big box with big panel(S). That would allow for greater surface area and easier maintenance, fwiw.

Good luck,
ace996

With the larger box, wouldn't that affect pressure and velocity and create a stall point like an overly large plenum? Just theorizing here (i'm not an engineer by any means, just a gearhead). I would think that keeping the velocity high when introduced under "Ram Air" (a misused descriptor by the General) would aid in charging the intake tube. Anybody have additional insight?

LV_V
06-11-05, 12:53 AM
All that needs to be done, which was not thought of by More Performance for some reason, is to place a barrier such as split loom onto the sheet metal's edge where it makes contact with the intake tube. Simple as that but I did not figure that out until it was too late. I took off my filter to clean it and the plastic tube was almost shredded!

willsctsv
06-11-05, 12:53 AM
Your design??? You own a V, So invest in your self and buy all of the V aftermarket intakes, less than 1000.00 dollars.
Now use them on your car and test them and see if they have flaws and fix it!
DO you even own a V?????

SiCk PuPpY
06-11-05, 01:01 AM
Your design??? You own a V, So invest in your self and buy all of the V aftermarket intakes, less than 1000.00 dollars.
Now use them on your car and test them and see if they have flaws and fix it!
DO you even own a V?????

Honestly, why would I go out and purchase every design out there? When auto manufacturers come up with redesigns and evolutionary concepts, they do not go out and purchase every car on the market. They simply examine known principles and designs and improve on them.

O.K. I digress, I will call it "my redesign" or "my spin on current designs" or "My crap that I cobbled together based on others hard work". I'm not trying to one up anyone or corner the market on the Vs CAI design.

I honestly feel that these can be made by you and I in our garages for substantially less than what is currently offered. My appologies to the distributors on this site in advance. Am i such a bastard for trying to do something better for less? I guess I should go ahead and remove that CAGS Skip shift eliminator that I built and installed today based on info I got off the Tech board.

:Sigh: And yes sir, I do have a V sitting in my garage. I have attached a couple pics for your edification.

2004ctsv
06-11-05, 08:37 AM
This thread is so wrong in so many ways.

That's all of a response that it warrants/

Tony (a gear head and an engineer)

HDMLNIUM
06-11-05, 10:25 AM
This thread is a tough one...

First, there is nothing wrong with making your own CAI.

Second, there is nothing wrong with finding out what peoples complaints are on the kits they have and addressing the issues.
I think if you spend the time and address all of the problem issues you could come away with a superior CAI. :thumbsup:

Third...Now if one was just to go out and copy another ones CAI and market it as their own design and.....Well you know where this is going..:tisk:

But to me it sounds like SiCk PuPpY is wanting to make a better intake kit than what is available right now while keeping the cost down..
I say go for it as long as the intensions are not outlined in the "Third" option..

Bill
http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_front-1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_rear-1.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
3M Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers, Lasstss Billet interior pieces
K&N drop in filter, B&B Headers-high flow cats-3" resonator exhaust, UUC shifter, BMR kit
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

willsctsv
06-11-05, 10:37 AM
Make a better intake, sure. But if you own a V, you can easily pop the hood and inspect your own intake. Take it apart and build your own. I don't see why someone with creativity needs to see other's ideas.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

Save money??? I would never put some stuff from my garage together with a few clamps and call it an intake. It wouldn't be worth my time..I would be embarassed to open the hood.
If you can afford a V you can afford 250 for the intake!

Are you the guy who sells the electric superchargers??

lasstss
06-11-05, 12:01 PM
Here is my nickel..Personally I dont like any of the 'ice box' set ups that replace the factory box. Its still in the engine compartment up high..NG.
I havent had the time to do it but thru the fender or down below the well is where it should go. I have silicone elbows and hump sleeves that go 4.0' TO 3.0". Also ordered some 3.5" aluminum tubing. I would also like to use 2 factory elements or 2 round factory elements end to end. (buy them & throw away)K&N,Air hog, blue whatever are great filters but I will never sit there with soap and water with a hose to keep them clean and them oil them??? Nonsense..They did that in the 40's&50's its old technology revisited. Just need time. If someone else can get it done great. Ill buy one.
I did put an AEM set up on my sons matrix. Smart design, pre bent tubing fender well mounted, element down low, rubber mounted.
:D

ace996
06-11-05, 12:01 PM
Trying to improve on current designs is not a bad thing, I don't understand the jabs...

Using a larger airbox will not limit velocity, it allows greater pressure and less fluctuation from smaller airboxes. It also allows a larger airfilter...less restriction...more power. Just make sure you keep positive pressure(ram-air).
Good luck,ace996

dannystang
06-11-05, 12:35 PM
How about a liquid nitrogen cooled intake?

Nitrogen is cheap, and I think it doens't take to much energy to get it to a boil.

Err Liquid form...

SiCk PuPpY
06-11-05, 01:05 PM
Make a better intake, sure. But if you own a V, you can easily pop the hood and inspect your own intake. Take it apart and build your own. I don't see why someone with creativity needs to see other's ideas.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

Save money??? I would never put some stuff from my garage together with a few clamps and call it an intake. It wouldn't be worth my time..I would be embarassed to open the hood.
If you can afford a V you can afford 250 for the intake!

Are you the guy who sells the electric superchargers??

I am not trying to make any money on this or market some new product. I am not a rich man (as it appears you are); I am frugal with my finances. I spend money where I need to and save when I can.

I see those that are of the mindset that "just go out and buy it", will never realize the true joy of wrenching on ones own vehicle. You seem to be pretty good at throwing out insults; I will not return the favor as actions like that really defines one's character and ethics.

A little background on me since the internet can be so damn impersonal. I am a 34 year old TSgt and active duty Air Force stationed at Hill AFB Utah. I have been in the service for over 15 years and traveled to 13 countries (Iraq is particularly lovely this time of year...) I live in the same town as Dave's V (although I have yet to see him). I am originally from Youngstown, Ohio. My wife and I both work hard to save, invest and enjoy ourselves (the V is actually her car to replace our aging '98 Seville).

Even though I can simply go out and buy something, if possible I would much rather build it, as I get a particular joy at fabricating and building cars; they are my passion. My wife calls my '97 T/A my mistress.

So there you have me in a nutshell. I'm just looking at building a better mousetrap and giving that design to my fellow auto enthusiasts. I never once said that I wanted to make money on this. I am however, feeling somewhat persecuted for even suggesting this idea; how rude of me to think that you would apprecieate someone else's selflessness.

I have atached another pic of me, ass deep in modding up my T/A, just so you can put a face with the insults.

V-seriesTech
06-11-05, 01:18 PM
I am not trying to make any money on this or market some new product. I am not a rich man (as it appears you are); I am frugal with my finances. I spend money where I need to and save when I can.

I see those that are of the mindset that "just go out and but it", will never realize the true joy of wrenching on ones own vehicle. You seem to be pretty good at throwing out insults; I will not return the favor.

A little background on me since the internet can be so damn impersonal. I am a 34 year old TSgt and active duty Air Force stationed at Hill AFB Utah. I have been in the service for over 15 years and traveled to 13 countries (Iraq is particularly lovely this time of year...) I live in the same town as Dave's V (although I have yet to see him). I am originally from Youngstown, Ohio. My wife and I both work hard to save, invest and enjoy ourselves (the V is actually her car to replace our aging '98 Seville).

Even though I can simply go out and buy something, if possible I would much rather build it, as I get a particular joy at fabricating and building cars; they are my passion. My wife calls my '97 T/A my mistress.

So there you have me in a nutshell. I'm just looking at building a better mousetrap and giving that design to my fellow auto enthusiasts. I am however, feeling somewhat persecuted for even suggesting this idea.

I have atached another pic of me, ass deep in modding up my T/A, just so you can put a face with the insults.

I'm skipping mostly all this thread,..just cause it's,..well,..poop.

People, let the man make a kit,...get off his back already. He wants to get an idea of how an already in production aftermarket intake looks/works... Cool,..Nothing wrong with an idea, as long as it is not a mock up of a current kit or some kind of look alike, which i'm sure he isn't doing.

My advice,...keep it as original as possable man,..cause you see what happens.

I would concentrate on an ELBOW before anything else. I've got an aluminum BRAKE(metal bending machine) that I can make any airbox in the entire world...so knowing how easy sheets of aluminum are to come by, and the current availability of cold air boxes already on the market,...AND NO ELBOWS,.."I" would focus on that brother.

You have a good idea,..my advice, i'm sure you know, just don't copy anyone.

Have fun building,..ignore the world,..build your kit,...make it functional,..make it look good,...and make power.

Peace out.

(and for the record, anyone that has the capability, and the patience to put a blower on an F-body, is ok in my book. I've been there, and done that,...I would rather drink terpentine, and piss on a brush fire then do that again.)

Excuse my spelling today boys,..it was a rough night last night.

See ya
Jamie

V-Beach
06-11-05, 02:07 PM
Don't mess with him, those look liks prison tat's.

SiCk PuPpY
06-11-05, 02:56 PM
Don't mess with him, those look liks prison tat's.

I actually laughed out loud at that one. Not prison tats, just stupidity exemplified at an early age.:drinker

L.Sanchez
06-11-05, 09:00 PM
I may be new here, but I think this is the American mind at work. My 98 and 00 Trans Am's both had work done by me with my own intake done on one of them. I always felt that if I can make one and save my friends and fellow F-Body (and now V owners) happy by helping them save a little cash, whats wrong with that. Doesn't sound like he's opening up shop somewhere to compete, but just trying to make something better for cheaper. That's called competition. That's America.

I too am going to take my new V's intake apart this week and see what I can make out of my friendly nieghborhood Home Depots many "automotive" part. ;) If I had the time, I'd sell a cheaper kit too.

trukk
06-14-05, 05:56 PM
Here is what I did. First, I installed the Lingenfelter CAI, which uses a short piece of 4" tubing to the air filter. This is coupled to the Mass Airflow Sensor with a short piece of silicon.
I used these parts and others to clone Stealth's intake. Stealths is 3.5". I noted that neither Stealth, Lingenfelter nor More said anything about removal of the Mass Airflow Sensor screen. Two friends of mine had removed theirs with no ill effect. According to Will Handzel in this book on Gen III motors, the screen is there largely to straighten out airflow after it makes a 90 degree bend. Also, I think the screen serves to attenuate intake sound. Handzel goes on to say that the screen is not necessary and is not included in applications where the airflow is straight.
It seemed to me that it might be better to place the Mass Airflow Sensor closer to the throttle body, and that is what I did. Instead of a short 4" tube, I used a much longer tube, like around 18" from the airfilter to the Mass Airflow Sensor, using again the short Lingenfelter silicon connecter tubing.
The real problem with this installation and the thing that will prevent most aftermarket mfgs from duplicating it is that one must splice in about a foot of wires (five) to lengthen the plug to the Mass Airflow Sensor. A mfg would make up a jumper, but I think it will be almost impossible to find the GM style plugs, so one is left with splicing and soldering a jumper.
The next problem is finding a 90 degree rubber elbow to connect the Mass Airflow Sensor to the throttle body. You need 4" at the throttle body and 3.5 inches at the Mass Airflow Sensor. You can find everything you need at Airflow Systems for less than $50 http://shop.airflowonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv.
A note on the Mass Airflow Sensor screen. It is pretty restrictive. I crushed the mesh to a solid shape that measures about 0.75 sq. inch. What I have read is that its removal will give you about 1% more power.
My installation fits very well and with very little clearance. I now have 8K miles on it with no rubbing or adverse effects. If someone can tell me how to attach photos, I will do so.

Any idea if any 4" MAF's are available (perhaps from a vortec truck engine, or something similar.) It would seem sensible to do like you said and:

a) move the MAF closer to the TB
b) have the MAF and the TB have the same Inside Diameter tube connecting them.
c) Have the MAF and TB in the same plane, with no tube bends between them (remember though if you have a turn right before the MAF though you need to keep that screen on. Perhaps your way is smarter now that I think about it.)

Any thoughts on how to pull air through sufficiently large filter (or filters as Martin suggested), while keeping it as far away from the engine compartment heat, and not allowing a tidal wave puddle to get sucked up in there, making those ohh so straight push rods, no longer that way. Extra credit for some form of safe ram air effect.

Just thinking out loud. There must be a better way to build this mousetrap.

Perhaps someone can chime in with some, DON'Ts also, to head off any potential missteps.

Thanks,

Chris

Rey
06-14-05, 09:28 PM
Respecting Cris' comment on a 4" MAF, the stock MAF is not that much smaller; and I doubt that going to a 4" MAF, assuming such is even available, will not net much horsepower increase. The big increase will be achieved by just removing the MAF screen.
Some tuners are "porting" the throttle body. Mostly, this is just smoothing out the entrance to the throttle body. I wasn't dazzled by the one example I saw. Instead, I bought the Volant intake cone for $50, which is a lot of money for a cheap picece of plastic. But the shape is right, in my opinion; and I do notice a slight power increase.
There is merit in insulating the intake tract. I measured intake temp differential of at least 20 degrees between air horn entrance and throttle body. This differential goes up to over 90 degrees after the car sits for twenty minutes on an 80 degree day. It takes several miles for air temp differential to come back down to 20 degrees.
Then, I heat-shielded the intake tract with some home dryer mylar hose. Doing this brought the differential down to 8 degrees. Every 11 degree drop increases horsepower by about 1%, so I read.
Presently, with my 4 inch aluminum tube, I have wrapped it with simple pipe insulation tape. It looks a lot neater than the mylar, and is just as cheap.
My feeling is that it will be hard to materially improve on the basic location of the air filter. It is being fed high-pressure intake air right from the front of the car; and any other intake location winds up making more bends. The important thing with any aftermarket air box from Lingenfelter or More is to make sure it seals out all underhood air. I taped the bottom edge of mine and closed out a lot of leaks. I also covered the exterior wall with aluminum reflective tape (the true "duct tape"). You really have to look closely to see this addition.

lawfive
06-14-05, 09:59 PM
Somebody I know :devil: took a hole saw and went through the bottom of the air filter box and on through into the wheel well. No ram effect, but lots of cool air there for a hot blower.

CVP33
06-14-05, 10:21 PM
***Note to self, buy a hole saw.***

willsctsv
06-14-05, 10:36 PM
hey, sick puppy.
God bless your service to this country!:2thumbs:
I didn't realize your intentions. It just seemed a bit odd that someone that already has a V would need pictures to build the intake. That statement got me wondering. Heck, if you have the time and would enjoy building an intake or any other gadget for your ride, all the power to ya brother!

I also like to wrench on my own car, sometimes it can be enjoyable, especially if you get in and turn the key and everything goes as expected or better! Like the rumble of the new exhaust, or the Bite of some new performance pads.

I hope your build goes as well as you like!

And have a :cheers: on me!

c5racr1
06-14-05, 10:53 PM
the box used on the cts vR seems to be ideal picks up air from in front of the radiatior and goes strait to the TB. If someone has good skills with Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass it could happen.

Florian
06-14-05, 11:41 PM
Sick, (and Daves V)

Thanks for your service to our country....having lost my father in Viet Nam, I make a point to thank vets. To all those on the board that I missed that have served, thank you too.

Florian

Dynotech Engineering
06-15-05, 12:26 AM
Give me a call.... We've experimented with a design a few months ago with our R&D vehicle that was VERY effective in many facits of operation/function. We've never mentioned it aloud or put it into production because we just don't have the time to invest in that venture and besides, our plate is full enough with the Corvette stuff....

You appear to be a genuine fellow and responded very eloquently despite the attacks on you earlier in this thread. We'd be glad to share our testing information data with you if you wish to use it to develop something for your self that actually works better than most of the aftermarket "super intake" garbage we've personally seen out there these days....

BTW- Thanks for protecting us so we can do this sort of thing for a living! :coolgleam

Best Regards,
Phil- DTE

lasstss
06-15-05, 12:49 AM
Here are some parts that are readily available. The 3.5 alu tubing is from Burns Stainless.

V-seriesTech
06-15-05, 09:25 AM
Here are some parts that are readily available. The 3.5 alu tubing is from Burns Stainless.

Any idea who makes that? Will it work on a magnacharger?

lasstss
06-15-05, 10:33 AM
Any idea who makes that? Will it work on a magnacharger?

I have the parts on my garage floor. I took the picture. As far as the maggie, I dont know but I dont like their sweeping elbow.

http://www.hosetechniques.com is one outfit
Clamps from Clampco
I have to go look at the receipts for the elbows. Dont remember.

V-seriesTech
06-15-05, 10:35 AM
I have the parts on my garage floor. I took the picture. As far as the maggie, I dont know but I dont like their sweeping elbow.

http://www.hosetechniques.com (http://www.hosetechniques.com/) is one outfit
Clamps from Clampco
I have to go look at the receipts for the elbows. Dont remember.

cool,...what do you think of it? fit/finish/does it talk dirty to you/ etc etc...

DgtalPimp
06-15-05, 11:50 AM
Sorry for the delay, here are the pics Rey asked to be hosted.
http://www.dgtalpimp.com/Rey_pics.html

Rey
06-15-05, 12:10 PM
Thanks for posting my photos. To explain, the intake system with the blue hump hose is my first endeavor with 3.5 inch tubing. The other intake is the latest 4" before I wrapped the metal portion with insulation tape; and you can see the relocation of the MAF closer to the throttle body. The pictures of the MAF screen just illustrates its restrictions.
I bought my parts from Air Flow Products. http://shop.airflowonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv. There web prices are considerably cheaper than prices at their store in Portland, OR. Air Flow Products' customers are mostly owners of large 18 wheel diesels. Some of their products are specifically designed to withstand high intake pressure.
I think it would be very interesting to view any photos of the airbox used on racing Cadillacs. I think Katech uses a More airbox, at least that is what it looks like.

SiCk PuPpY
06-16-05, 08:24 AM
hey, sick puppy.
God bless your service to this country!:2thumbs:
I didn't realize your intentions. It just seemed a bit odd that someone that already has a V would need pictures to build the intake. That statement got me wondering. Heck, if you have the time and would enjoy building an intake or any other gadget for your ride, all the power to ya brother!

I also like to wrench on my own car, sometimes it can be enjoyable, especially if you get in and turn the key and everything goes as expected or better! Like the rumble of the new exhaust, or the Bite of some new performance pads.

I hope your build goes as well as you like!

And have a :cheers: on me!

Hey no sweat Will, and thank you for your appreciation of the military! :cheers: I understand sometimes it is quite difficult to convey one's intentions over the internet; we're cool.

I am forever in the "tinkering" mode and fast is never fast enough. I plan on doing something special and inexpensive that even the V owner with limited mechanical experience car replicate for themselves

SiCk PuPpY
06-16-05, 08:28 AM
Sick, (and Daves V)

Thanks for your service to our country....having lost my father in Viet Nam, I make a point to thank vets. To all those on the board that I missed that have served, thank you too.

Florian

Anytime my man, i'm proud to humbly serve you and everyone else in this great nation.

SiCk PuPpY
06-16-05, 08:35 AM
Give me a call.... We've experimented with a design a few months ago with our R&D vehicle that was VERY effective in many facits of operation/function. We've never mentioned it aloud or put it into production because we just don't have the time to invest in that venture and besides, our plate is full enough with the Corvette stuff....

You appear to be a genuine fellow and responded very eloquently despite the attacks on you earlier in this thread. We'd be glad to share our testing information data with you if you wish to use it to develop something for your self that actually works better than most of the aftermarket "super intake" garbage we've personally seen out there these days....

BTW- Thanks for protecting us so we can do this sort of thing for a living! :coolgleam

Best Regards,
Phil- DTE

Phil,
Wow, i'm speechless; thank you for the offer. I will be in touch soon to discuss your findings on this subject.

As far as the responses, I feel ya gotta be a little thick-skinned on the internet. This was all just a big misunderstanding of my intentions; I do not harbor ill feelings toward anyone's replies. :cheers:

GNSCOTT
06-16-05, 01:46 PM
You can get straight pieces of alluminum tubing just about anywhere and you can get rubber elbows at Fleet pride, CAI's are not rocket science and just about anyone with 2 hands can make one. Get the filter out of the engine compartment and on a bone stock V you just picked up 3hp for your troubles. (a bone stock Z06 picked up 4hp with no air filter and a huge fan blowing on it).