: Just how fragile are they?

Bar Coded Organic
10-30-03, 03:01 AM
i've seen a lot of bad press about the northstar engine before '01 model years.

I'm considering a swap in to another car. But i've heard everything from throw away engines, to locking up around 100 thousand miles, and yes i know theres quite a few members who've well exceeded the 100K range. but would it be worth picking up a cheap used northstar for say a grand or so that's been locked up and rebuild it to stock specs? Or should i wait a few years and buy the newly redesigned version, at a greater cost? especially considering there's BOUND to be more aftermarket support for them?

Another option is building up the auraura smaller displacement version and building that up with some boring and performance goodies...

i'm on a small time budget so your input is greatly appreciated

Katshot
10-30-03, 06:44 AM
Welcome aboard,
The Northstar is generally used for "swaps" mainly due to it's being a Cadillac engine. You know, for the surprise factor when opening the hood. The engine itself is a decent engine as long as it's not over-heated. I wouldn't say that it's one of the most reliable engines in general but it does offer a lot of power per liter.

Bar Coded Organic
10-30-03, 02:25 PM
Welcome aboard,
The Northstar is generally used for "swaps" mainly due to it's being a Cadillac engine. You know, for the surprise factor when opening the hood. The engine itself is a decent engine as long as it's not over-heated. I wouldn't say that it's one of the most reliable engines in general but it does offer a lot of power per liter.

thanks for the welcome

well i'm doing the swap because it's light weight and makes nice power numbers your looking at an eight hundred pound approximated weight when it's mounted to the transaxle...not to mention compact size for a V-8 and DOHC at that...

i'm just worried if i buy a remanfucatured one...what will become of it if i flog it hard they aren't offering them as crate engines from GM drivetrain so i'm leary...

maybe i should contact the guys over at CHRfab?

elwesso
10-30-03, 08:30 PM
Id contact CHRfab if you are gonna beat it......

Otherwise, the northstar is a decent engine if maintained..... Definitely good power.......