: Diet Coke makes me feel baked....

powerglide
06-09-05, 07:21 PM
....but not in a happy stoner way....but more like a zombie...

Anyone think there's something to this 'urban legend' regarding the artificial sweetener "aspartame"?

these guys say its all good:

http://www.aspartame.org/

these guys say its a silent killer:

http://www.aspartame.com/

Who's makin this stuff up?

fast66
06-09-05, 07:23 PM
hahah coke gets you high...what a surprise :)

turbojimmy
06-09-05, 07:24 PM
I didn't check the links, but I've read that too much of it makes you loopy.

I switched to diet a couple years ago as my 30-something-year-old body began to lose its 20-something shape. So far I think I'm still sane (as sane as I was before I switched to diet anyway).

Jim

powerglide
06-09-05, 07:35 PM
hahah coke gets you high...what a surprise :)

hehehehe....

powerglide
06-09-05, 07:36 PM
I didn't check the links, but I've read that too much of it makes you loopy.

I switched to diet a couple years ago as my 30-something-year-old body began to lose its 20-something shape. So far I think I'm still sane (as sane as I was before I switched to diet anyway).

Jim

Same reason for swithing.....but I'm not sure anymore.

Some of the articles talk about brain damage!?

(beer give you brain damage but at least its worth it)

ben72227
06-09-05, 08:12 PM
I think they're all starting to switch to Splenda, since it's the new sweetener and is supposed to be much better than the traditional aspartame based sweeteners. It's made with real sugar actually, so its somewhat good. My Mom has started to use it and she likes it so...

Ralph
06-09-05, 08:17 PM
At least sugar is natural, and I would never drink Diet anything. People just need to work it off or exercise and they'd probably feel better in the end.

Boombotz
06-09-05, 08:29 PM
This is the wife. I can tell you when I was pregnant the doctor told me to only use real sugar and no sweetners. He also said no diet drinks at all. I don't know if there any good or not, but that said a lot to me. Now that I have had the baby I do use Splenda once in a while but thats it. I also heard on the news the other night that the sweetners make you eat more don't know how true that is. Well way back when I did drink diet coke it had no different of an effect than the regular coke did, but in all rights I think soda is just unhealthy in general anyway. Well I don't worry about it because I could cross the street tomm. and get killed so I live life for what is and what I enjoy. Forget about what all the scientist say it will be different next year anyway.

Sam OCM
06-09-05, 08:31 PM
well if it makes you lose braincells... and makes you eat more (thus gaining weight) I think beer is the answer... it does the same but with no hidden side effects!

:bonkers:

Ralph
06-09-05, 08:34 PM
This is the wife. I can tell you when I was pregnant the doctor told me to only use real sugar and no sweetners. He also said no diet drinks at all. I don't know if there any good or not, but that said a lot to me. Now that I have had the baby I do use Splenda once in a while but thats it. I also heard on the news the other night that the sweetners make you eat more don't know how true that is. Well way back when I did drink diet coke it had no different of an effect than the regular coke did, but in all rights I think soda is just unhealthy in general anyway. Well I don't worry about it because I could cross the street tomm. and get killed so I live life for what is and what I enjoy. Forget about what all the scientist say it will be different next year anyway.

I've also heard that pop strips calcium somehow from your bones, so in general I avoid it. Especially preganant women should avoid it if true, like you mentioned.

I remember hearing something about aspartame causing stomach cancer in lab rats....but that was years ago and it probably wouldn't be hard to google if someone cared to find out.

Boombotz
06-09-05, 08:37 PM
well if it makes you lose braincells... and makes you eat more (thus gaining weight) I think beer is the answer... it does the same but with no hidden side effects!

:bonkers:

:histeric: You are not kidding. Don't leave out a couple of shots of vodka that always makes me feel better.

fast66
06-09-05, 08:45 PM
I used to drink diet drinks until I read this thread.
Beer is the way to go!

Sandy
06-09-05, 08:49 PM
Switch to Diet-Rite. It's always been made only with Splenda, and it's
much better tasting than Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi !

BANK
06-10-05, 12:04 AM
"The results of these studies overwhelmingly demonstrated that aspartame is not associated with adverse health effects, including headaches, seizures, changes in mood, cognition, or behavior, or allergic reactions." Apparently there is underwhelming evidence it does cause the above symptoms!!?!!

Stoneage_Caddy
06-10-05, 12:22 AM
I've also heard that pop strips calcium somehow from your bones, so in general I avoid it. Especially preganant women should avoid it if true, like you mentioned.

I remember hearing something about aspartame causing stomach cancer in lab rats....but that was years ago and it probably wouldn't be hard to google if someone cared to find out.
aspertame and slemnda causeing issues ...hell yes that crap does ...come to my house and you wont find that crap anywhere around here ....Mom cant have it , i cant have it ...no one else has the balls to use it ...

natural sugar in moderation is beatter for you than that cheimcally altred lab crap

if you have to drink diet soda because of the benefits of it not makeing you fat your drinking too much soda ...drink one of the real deal at the most per day ...

after i saw what soda does to me i have really cut back ...americas high stress lifestyle and this stuff doesnt mix ...

and no im no health junkie , i cleared out a 24 can case of mountain dew PER DAY ....

but if soda wasnt bad enough this diet crap is just plain cray bad ....

Ralph
06-10-05, 01:05 AM
aspertame and slemnda causeing issues ...hell yes that crap does ...come to my house and you wont find that crap anywhere around here ....Mom cant have it , i cant have it ...no one else has the balls to use it ...

natural sugar in moderation is beatter for you than that cheimcally altred lab crap

if you have to drink diet soda because of the benefits of it not makeing you fat your drinking too much soda ...drink one of the real deal at the most per day ...

after i saw what soda does to me i have really cut back ...americas high stress lifestyle and this stuff doesnt mix ...

and no im no health junkie , i cleared out a 24 can case of mountain dew PER DAY ....

but if soda wasnt bad enough this diet crap is just plain cray bad ....

24 per day!!! You shouldn't even have a stomach lining left!!! :shhh: ;)

davesdeville
06-10-05, 05:22 AM
Hey if the HCl in your stomach won't eat the mucus lining, a little carbonic acid won't either. I used to polish off about 3 2liters of soda a day until I got 4 cavities, I'm down to about half a 2liter a day now.

RBraczyk
06-10-05, 11:35 AM
When I chew sugarfree gum, i tend to reek of a smell like weed. Its really wierd, and my dad thought I was out smoking with someone. It sucks. Wouldnt surprise me if the artificial sweeteners in diet coke are similar to sugarfree gum.

D148L0
06-10-05, 11:48 AM
This is the wife.
I, for one, would like to welcome you to the forums. Visit us again.

Elvis
06-10-05, 12:34 PM
When I chew sugarfree gum, i tend to reek of a smell like weed. Its really wierd, and my dad thought I was out smoking with someone. It sucks. .

Yeah, blame it on the gum.

How's that working?

powerglide
06-10-05, 01:02 PM
Yeah, blame it on the gum.

How's that working?

LOL!

powerglide
06-10-05, 01:05 PM
Hey if the HCl in your stomach won't eat the mucus lining, a little carbonic acid won't either. I used to polish off about 3 2liters of soda a day until I got 4 cavities, I'm down to about half a 2liter a day now.

that still sounds like a hell of a lot of carbonated liquids.....almost 8 gallons a month.

things should get interesting when you reach 21 and switch to beer....if you haven't already :-)

davesdeville
06-10-05, 01:15 PM
I only drink beer when I want to get wasted. Which isn't that often. It will never taste as good as soda anyway.

Randy_W
06-10-05, 01:34 PM
Splenda has no issues at all, it's just sugar with the good parts removed.

powerglide
06-10-05, 01:39 PM
........got another Diet Coke here on my desk.....I cought a case of this new "Diet Coke with Lime", its pretty good.

But I think I am gonna switch to just water after this case........

Sam OCM
06-10-05, 01:41 PM
I only drink beer when I want to get wasted. Which isn't that often. It will never taste as good as soda anyway.

thats because your drinking the wrong stuff.

A nice cold beer and a BBQ cant go wrong... :rolleyes:

davesdeville
06-10-05, 02:07 PM
I agree there are a lot of foods that do go well with beer. But it's not like my parents are gonna buy me beer so I have to go over to my friends apartment and I rarely eat there since if I'm with my friends we'll usually go out to eat. Anyway enough of my life story; beer is good.

Spyder
06-10-05, 04:11 PM
Splenda has no issues at all, it's just sugar with the good parts removed.

I'd say that's an issue! :)

And then there is this...Beer does NOT kill brain cells!?!?!!! Havn'tcha'll heard of the theory of the healthy buffalo? Ok, here goes...
You've got a herd of buffalo running through the plains of the Serengetti. A lion is hungry and decides to kill a buffalo, but it can only catch the old, weak, slow and sick buffalo. It kills off the weaker animals in the herd, leaving the herd as a stronger entity, because of the death of those who slowed it down.
Beer works the same way. Your weak and slow brain cells are killed off by the beer, leaving you much smarter than before you took that drink. Beer makes you smarter!

Rob_M
06-10-05, 04:25 PM
That aspertame crap is in everything. Look at the ingredients in your chewing gum.. It also causes headaches, bloating, and gas like a muth!!!!!!

Adam
06-10-05, 05:55 PM
are we gonna have to start an AA for you diet soda drinkers?

heres a thought, why not drink water?

Adam
06-10-05, 05:56 PM
did you know that a glass of red wine each day is good for your heart?

Spyder
06-10-05, 06:04 PM
A gallon of beer a day is good for your kidneys...

Boombotz
06-10-05, 06:22 PM
heres a thought, why not drink water?

Water... :eek: what are you thinking. You want us to drink something that has no sugar,caff,artificial flavors,and cleanses our bodies :hmm: . You mean drink something that is actually good for us :nono: . Are you sure you didn't want to put that in the joke thread:tease: ?

Sam OCM
06-10-05, 08:53 PM
I'd say that's an issue! :)

And then there is this...Beer does NOT kill brain cells!?!?!!! Havn'tcha'll heard of the theory of the healthy buffalo? Ok, here goes...
You've got a herd of buffalo running through the plains of the Serengetti. A lion is hungry and decides to kill a buffalo, but it can only catch the old, weak, slow and sick buffalo. It kills off the weaker animals in the herd, leaving the herd as a stronger entity, because of the death of those who slowed it down.
Beer works the same way. Your weak and slow brain cells are killed off by the beer, leaving you much smarter than before you took that drink. Beer makes you smarter!

that is just perfect! i have to print that down :-):dance:

powerglide
06-10-05, 09:03 PM
Funny....I am sharing my colleagues office today and he has this very same "theory" printed out and stuck on the wall here by my computer............this one references Cliff from Cheers as the originiator.

Ralph
06-10-05, 10:22 PM
A gallon of beer a day is good for your kidneys...

How about your liver? :shhh:

It's fattening too isn't it?

Sandy
06-10-05, 10:23 PM
Once again & it's really easy...

Want Cola?
Want Diet?
Don't want aspertame?
Drink Diet-Rite ! It's in every supermarket !
It's made with Splenda 'n it tastes very very good. I drink it.
Light & Medium Blue Can, sold in 6 packs or 2 litre bottle.

Ralph
06-10-05, 10:25 PM
did you know that a glass of red wine each day is good for your heart?

And your arteries. Why do you think the French have low rates of heart disease?? Supposedly because they have red wine for breakfast, dinner and supper.

On the news they mentioned red grape juice can be as effective as red wine for preventing heart disease, etc. something to do with the "reservoirtin" in the red grapes. I know I didn't spell that correctly!

Boombotz
06-10-05, 10:27 PM
Once again & it's really easy...

Want Cola?
Want Diet?
Don't want aspertame?
Drink Diet-Rite ! It's in every supermarket !
It's made with Splenda 'n it tastes very very good. I drink it.
Light & Medium Blue Can, sold in 6 packs or 2 litre bottle.

You must own stock in that company!:D