: Remove N* eng from top or Pwrtrn out Btm?

air1ren
06-09-05, 05:45 PM
I am preparing to replace the headgaskets on my 97 STS. Can you eperienced guys tell me if it is better to pull just the engine out the top or remove the whole powertrain out the bottom? The Caddy manual shows out the top as the "alternate" method.

Reading thru all the info in these forum's I have not heard anyone say which way seemed the easiest. Has anyone tried both methods?

Spyder
06-09-05, 06:31 PM
If you are able to drop it through the bottom, ie, if you have the space and something that can lift the body that high in the air, then I'd recommend going that route...I did mine out the top because of space limitations, and it wasn't really all THAT bad...just don't drink too awful much Old Granddad while you're doing it...We learned that the hard way :)

cart69
06-10-05, 02:30 PM
i just put mine back in and did it out the bottom, i thought it was pretty easy. just used my engine hoist and a strap to pick the car up from the radiator support. not hard at all just make sure you disconnect everything and take your time pulling it and reinstalling it. the only hard part to me was the darn connectors in the front of the motor behind the exhaust manifold on the front of the car those were super tight to get back on, but do able!!

where are you located??

air1ren
06-10-05, 11:15 PM
I am down in Florida... It sounds like out the bottom is the way to go. I plan on taking some pix as I go and post them after. Thanks to both of you for the advice...

Spyder
06-11-05, 05:21 AM
No prob...good luck on the project!

Pjs
06-11-05, 11:03 AM
I definitely think out the bottom is the quickest way to go. Make sure you have an extra pair of eyes when lifting and dropping the body on the powertrain.

air1ren
06-12-05, 06:28 PM
Will do... Thanks!

greggbruce
06-15-05, 09:50 PM
bottom is WAY easier than top. whole powertrain out, seperate engine from trans, put on engine stand, get busy!!
do them pan seals and crankcase seals while you got it out if there's any signs of leakage.