: What should I do???

carguy16
06-09-05, 02:27 PM
If you had a pick between a 94 and 95 Fleetwood, both High mileaged:

94: Has 170,000 miles, rebuilt tranny w/ warranty, new rear main seal replaced when tranny was pulled, new distributer 2 years ago, 2 front new tires, cranbury leather interior(it says the interior is fair, and something was worn out), 1 owner, driven by old guy, Florida car all its life. Car looks red on outside.

95: Has 160,000 miles, rebuilt tranny, 4 new tires, new Power steering lines(haha!!! This is a northern car, like mine!), bad part is, it has a cloth interior. :helpless: Also has an after market vinyl top roof, I asked if it was factory and I was told yes. :hmm: The 95 was driven part time in the north, and driven to Florida, much like my current 94, so yes, there will be some rust. They said the exterior was maroon, I dont know for sure. I think the 95 Is a Brougham, but I dont know for sure.

What about steering componentry, ball joints, etc...? My wheels pop on every turn, when I pump my brakes the front left squeeks like a spring(even when Im stopped), my mufflers are rusting through and its getting loud, and my oil leak is starting to intensify a little bit. I would hate to think what could go wrong on a car with 160k or 170k miles.

Based on this information, what u offer?

I tried finding out about the tune ups, who rebuilt the tranny(I got the cheapest rebuild they had), I just know they have a reciept that shows the warranty.

N0DIH
06-09-05, 03:07 PM
Hmm, wonder if my northern 94FWB that just started a power steering leak has the same problems....

Start a spreadsheet, est costs of the cars, and possible repairs or needs or wants. Compare them as objectively as you can. Let $$ be a factor in the decision. There was a decent 94 here for sale, don't know if it sold or was just moved. Check http://www.cardomain.com/ride/819465. Check on page 4, this is the one local to me. Has Flowmasters that leak some, worn interior some, but overall good shape. It is a R1P car. But $2500. Started and ran good, no smoke, new waterpump, possibly new distributor.

Well, the looks of the 94 to 95 are always subjective. I haven't really got a good look at a 95-96 anyway, so I guess for me, it doesnt matter. Having the 4 new tires is $$, vs 2 new and how are the other 2? Assuming trans is solid in both, rule that out as $0, interior parts can get $ and hard to get. Is the roof good looking or not? Look at the SPID, see what options. V4P option is a + in my book, get it for sure. It would cost you $600ish to get the gears replaced to get them, I think they are well worth it (3.42's factory)

Make sure they don't have R1P option, Katshot said to avoid them, they are typically beat on more.

Any rust to worry about?

Check the back windows, I just found mine leaking some, the back rear little ones. Seals are drying and shrinking. Mine also has a small leak getting into the power antenna, check that too. Mine got intermittant one day. Rapped it at the motor and it started to work again and has since. I need to deal with that.

Do some turns hard left and hard right, look for popping and such. Mine pops in tight, slow turns, not in mild ones. I am guessing ball joints (anyone comment??)

Check the brakes on yours, likely a rear, they have springs. Maybe one is in place wrong. Easy fix.

Where is your oil leak? Valve cover? Rear main? Common place is oil cooler, seals available from dealer, check Impala SS tech pages for repair, it sounds fairly easy.Saw

carguy16
06-09-05, 05:32 PM
And, someone just mentioned the Timing chain... How much is that going to cost, parts and labor???

My front oil seal is leaking, around the water pump. I will keep everything else in mind. I hope to inspect this week or next, will update you. Thanks.

Hmm, wonder if my northern 94FWB that just started a power steering leak has the same problems....

Start a spreadsheet, est costs of the cars, and possible repairs or needs or wants. Compare them as objectively as you can. Let $$ be a factor in the decision. There was a decent 94 here for sale, don't know if it sold or was just moved. Check http://www.cardomain.com/ride/819465. Check on page 4, this is the one local to me. Has Flowmasters that leak some, worn interior some, but overall good shape. It is a R1P car. But $2500. Started and ran good, no smoke, new waterpump, possibly new distributor.

Well, the looks of the 94 to 95 are always subjective. I haven't really got a good look at a 95-96 anyway, so I guess for me, it doesnt matter. Having the 4 new tires is $$, vs 2 new and how are the other 2? Assuming trans is solid in both, rule that out as $0, interior parts can get $ and hard to get. Is the roof good looking or not? Look at the SPID, see what options. V4P option is a + in my book, get it for sure. It would cost you $600ish to get the gears replaced to get them, I think they are well worth it (3.42's factory)

Make sure they don't have R1P option, Katshot said to avoid them, they are typically beat on more.

Any rust to worry about?

Check the back windows, I just found mine leaking some, the back rear little ones. Seals are drying and shrinking. Mine also has a small leak getting into the power antenna, check that too. Mine got intermittant one day. Rapped it at the motor and it started to work again and has since. I need to deal with that.

Do some turns hard left and hard right, look for popping and such. Mine pops in tight, slow turns, not in mild ones. I am guessing ball joints (anyone comment??)

Check the brakes on yours, likely a rear, they have springs. Maybe one is in place wrong. Easy fix.

Where is your oil leak? Valve cover? Rear main? Common place is oil cooler, seals available from dealer, check Impala SS tech pages for repair, it sounds fairly easy.Saw

N0DIH
06-10-05, 01:03 AM
Don't know, I do all my own work. I don't trust shops. They use your hard earned money to troubleshoot because they are often clueless

FASSTWOOD
06-11-05, 10:24 PM
Carguy, dont you have a 94 already? Why are u looking for another one. I would understand if it was a 60,000 mile car. Did I miss something!

davesdeville
06-12-05, 08:13 AM
Yeah, he rear ended someone unfortunately, but I thought he was going to fix his...?

N0DIH
06-12-05, 03:17 PM
On the timing chain, I am not 100% sure, but I think GM abandoned the nylon coated aluminum timing set with the 307 (hey 307 owners, I swapped out my dads 85 Cutlass 307 chain at 155K and the gears looked like new, so they got the quality down!) and went all steel. The chains just stretch and start moving the powerband up (250 rpm per 2 degrees is the rule of thumb)

So don't fret it by any means, it is a good thing to have replaced, as it is expensive to do. Check napaonline.com or autozone.com and run the parts through and see what the ballpark prices are. Check with GM too, can't hurt. I have a parts guy at a local Cadillac dealer that hooks me up on cost, so that helps a bunch. If anyone is in the SE WI to Chicagoland (N-NW-W suburbs, and Rockford) area, and need parts, let me know.

Have you decided yet carguy? You know you have to post pictures of you new ride, right?