: Don't ignore the squeeling sound!

HotRodSaint
06-09-05, 09:33 AM
I learned the hard way, that the squeeling sound I heard from the engine compartment, wasn't a power steering pump, or the tensioner bearing that my shadetree mechanic friends diagnosed.

It was the harmonic balancer!

And once that goes, you don't go anywhere. You'll know it's gone, when you see smoke, smell clutch and loose your A/C and power steering.

I was stuck in a local college parking lot for 3 hours last night, as I waited for my "AAA Plus" membership to tow me to my local Cadillac dealer.

But it could have been even worse, because it could have expired after I entered the freeway or anywhere along it during my 1 hour commute home.

Instead it expired about 3 blocks from the freeway entrance.

I'll take any blessing I'm handed, and be thankful for it. :yup:

carguy16
06-09-05, 09:53 AM
How many miles are ya packing hotrodsaint? How longs the sqeaking been going on?

I learned the hard way, that the squeeling sound I heard from the engine compartment, wasn't a power steering pump, or the tensioner bearing that my shadetree mechanic friends diagnosed.

It was the harmonic balancer!

And once that goes, you don't go anywhere. You'll know it's gone, when you see smoke, smell clutch and loose your A/C and power steering.

I was stuck in a local college parking lot for 3 hours last night, as I waited for my "AAA Plus" membership to tow me to my local Cadillac dealer.

But it could have been even worse, because it could have expired after I entered the freeway or anywhere along it during my 1 hour commute home.

Instead it expired about 3 blocks from the freeway entrance.

I'll take any blessing I'm handed, and be thankful for it. :yup:

HotRodSaint
06-09-05, 11:16 AM
How many miles are ya packing hotrodsaint? How longs the sqeaking been going on?

I just passed 40k. And I ignored it for a little over 4 weeks.

N0DIH
06-09-05, 12:57 PM
Is it like the balancer on my old 91 Bonneville, the belt on the outside of the balancer, and there is a rubber ring isolating the balancer from the belt hub? That let loose?

HotRodSaint
06-09-05, 01:05 PM
Is it like the balancer on my old 91 Bonneville, the belt on the outside of the balancer, and there is a rubber ring isolating the balancer from the belt hub? That let loose?

It's a 3 piece 'pulley' that is attacked to the crank and runs all the other pullies. It's a hub, some sort of material that ended up smoking and the outer metal ring that the belt make contact with.

When I stopped, I saw that it was wobbling while it was running. I quickly turne dit off, since I didn't want a flying metal ring to hit me in the head!!

A co-worker drove over, and asked me to start it up and turn the wheel. Then he said, " DUDE COME LOOK AT THIS!!!"

When he turned the wheel, the all the pullies stopped, which was the cause of the burning smell.

$400.00 bucks installed at the dealer and it should be done today.

JAKE91
06-09-05, 01:53 PM
MY ADVICE AND PURCHASED AAA PLUS.
I HAD POSTED THIS SERVICE AWHILE AGO. :)

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HERE YOU FINALLY LISTENED TO ME! :rolleyes2

:drinker :wtf:

HotRodSaint
06-09-05, 02:00 PM
FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HERE YOU FINALLY LISTENED TO ME! :rolleyes2

WHAT ARE YOU YELLING ABOUT? ;)

I actually bought "AAA Plus" last summer because I was driving from Knoxville, TN to Los Angeles, CA.

But that is good advice worth YELLING about! :thumbsup:

N0DIH
06-09-05, 02:02 PM
Owch! Well, at least it is fixable. Thank you for the warning! I will keep a close watch on mine.

I might do a timing chain swap this summer as preventative maint. So I will get a good look at it then. I want the car as reliable as possible. The chain will allow the cam to be retarded and cause powerband to move up. Can't have that in a heavy car like this, you need it down as low as possible. Maybe got for a cam swap? hmm....

ocjmakaveli
06-12-05, 06:53 AM
what are the possible reasons this could have happened, maybe a bad repair?

Mine has about 53,000 and this hasnt been a problem and for having such a low mileage car what are the possible reasons that happened?

I'm pretty sure thats not a maintenance item and it's almost never removed for most repairs especially for a low mileage car.

I'm curious to know if theres anything in particular that caused the balancer to fail or fall off.

HotRodSaint
06-12-05, 03:16 PM
what are the possible reasons this could have happened, maybe a bad repair?

The rubber deteriorates.

But, it's deterioration might have been compounded by them removing it to install an opti spark last year.

Since that dealer is now 2500 miles away, I can't really go back to them and complain.

ocjmakaveli
06-12-05, 04:31 PM
The rubber deteriorates.

But, it's deterioration might have been compounded by them removing it to install an opti spark last year.

Since that dealer is now 2500 miles away, I can't really go back to them and complain.

oh is it ok now?

I guess possibly if it required thread locker on the bolts and none was used that could have caused the bolts to come loose.

especially since it is a moving part that causes vibration thread locker should be used.

HotRodSaint
06-13-05, 08:51 AM
oh is it ok now?

I guess possibly if it required thread locker on the bolts and none was used that could have caused the bolts to come loose.

especially since it is a moving part that causes vibration thread locker should be used.

The RUBBER between the hub and the ring deteriorated. No loose anything involved.

N0DIH
06-13-05, 08:58 PM
I can't even see mine because of the belt fan. :(

I will have to get under it to see it. But it is worth a close look before winter!

carguy16
06-13-05, 09:03 PM
I dont see why they just couldnt have added another electric fan, instead of the belt fan.:cookoo:
I can't even see mine because of the belt fan. :(

I will have to get under it to see it. But it is worth a close look before winter!

codewize
06-13-05, 09:33 PM
I'm trying to figure out how you all have such low mileage on 10 + year old cars? My 93' Brougham has 170k on it

ocjmakaveli
06-14-05, 02:06 AM
I'm trying to figure out how you all have such low mileage on 10 + year old cars? My 93' Brougham has 170k on it

i think it takes a "special" type of person that cares about their car enough to go on the net to learn about their car etc. and most of us have low mileage cars because of it but not all of us of course depends on the person really.

whenever your on an auto forum though expect well cared for vehicles. :)

evilrussian
06-14-05, 02:20 AM
It is possible that the rubber got damaged when "someone" used a puller on a crank pulley and the inner part of a damper was seized on the shaft, because of rust?

ocjmakaveli
06-14-05, 07:47 AM
Best to just fix your own car rather than relying on someone else to do a half ass job. :tisk:

N0DIH
06-14-05, 03:41 PM
That would do it for sure.

Something about having the RIGHT tools for job....

It is possible that the rubber got damaged when "someone" used a puller on a crank pulley and the inner part of a damper was seized on the shaft, because of rust?

carguy16
06-14-05, 10:38 PM
Depends, I found a local shop that does a really good job, I wish I could recomend them to everyone. The people there are so friendly and awnust, and the prices are really good too.

I want to go tip my mechanic that did my brake job, he did a good job.

Best to just fix your own car rather than relying on someone else to do a half ass job. :tisk: