: How to get rid of all this heat under the hood?

slow35th
06-08-05, 07:17 PM
Subject says it all. I lifted my hood after a short drive in this Houston heat and my Stealth V FFV was too hot to touch. It is only 90 today and when we hit the 100's later in July and August it will be worse. This has got to be robbing a ton of power.

To start I know. Specter Werks Vented hood is an option. $1400 plus paint. How effective are they? Worth the money?

I am running Water Wetter already.

I just removed the engine cover . That should help some, I'll leave it off till Oct.

I don't see a cooler thermostat cooling things down that much on the ambient temp under the hood.

Anything else?

HDMLNIUM
06-08-05, 08:23 PM
I live in Maine where it is much cooler than the Texas Heat and I would love to get the underhood temps down some too. That is the only reason I haven't broke down an ordered the Stealth V FFV. I had basically the same set-up in my Denali with the Aluminum tube and she did get pretty warm..:banghead: But hey, the airflow was much better though...

Bill
http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_front-1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_rear-1.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers
K&N drop in filter, B&B Headers-high flow cats-3" resonator exhaust, UUC shifter, BMR kit
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

BliTzer
06-08-05, 09:04 PM
I truly understand thats why i got an oil cooler.. Arizona is too damn hot & mix it with hi-perf car modded out, really blows.. but, if oil cools downs, since it is the closest to the piston/combustion area of engine, i think all else will follow.. I will let you know in 2 days how much. Oil cooler was pricy, damn high for the Greddy, like 600 bucks with remote switch & all other install parts included... But the only problem with install, is where i had to put it made the damn hoses 3 inches too short. I really do not want to put a connector there, imho more connectors higher odds of leaks happening.. So i had to buy new stainless flex hoses, two of them, 12 feet each i think they were.. If you need to know exactly let me know, i will get receipt out and make sure of length..

later..
blitzer (johnny)

Texan V
06-08-05, 09:13 PM
:werd: I feel your pain...

Like you I tried the water wetter (Royal purple - "purple ice" in my case) and swaped the stock engine cover for Corvette FRCs. My Stealth FFV gets hotter than a MOFO also. The Specter Werks hood is too extreme for me, wish there were more options.

BliTzer - where's the pics of that finished spoiler bro?

BliTzer
06-08-05, 09:20 PM
Tex,

Check your PM .. i just sent you one.. ;)

wildwhl
06-08-05, 09:43 PM
1) Pull the engine cover.

2) Program PCM for lower fan temps and different on/off settings.

3) Drive faster :lildevil:

willsctsv
06-08-05, 09:44 PM
I ran a little test;
after driving on the highway for 30 minutes or more (go as fast as you want), pull off and pop the hood. Feel your intake tube, I have the ffv. It was cool!
So, in traffic and stop/go driving you will get hot under there. But spirited highway driving or racing you should be cool!
my .02.
Also aluminum will disperse heat more rapidly than other materials.
If you are drag racing, keep your hood open in between runs to avoid as much heat soak as possible.
I tried redline water wetter but it didn't do anything, according to the temp guage. It says it works best with water and not anitfreeze.
So it may be better to run this in your cooling system without antifreeze. Water is known do disperse heat better than antifeeze. Just don't forget to add your antifreeze in the fall. This is from Redlines web site. I have not tried it without antifreeze.

PneuBird
06-09-05, 01:41 AM
I put in a 160* thermostat last week. It helped somewhat and the cooling fans are programmed to come on at 179* and 183*. But that FFV is still hot as hell which doesn't help inlet temps! Sorry Rick....got to call them as I see them! :worship:

urbanski
06-09-05, 06:19 AM
so do you guys think the stocker choker plastic inlet tube gets less hot?...

V-seriesTech
06-09-05, 07:52 AM
1) Pull the engine cover.

2) Program PCM for lower fan temps and different on/off settings.

3) Drive faster :lildevil:

Aside from these great tips,...the specter werks hood is nice, and does relive heat from underneath the hood. I belive digitalpimp hooked it up for me the other day and posted some pics of our customers car for us(check his site for the pics). That car has a magnacharger, and runs at about 204 degrees, on public roads, ....on highway, temp drops,...i'll have to pay more atttention to HOW much it does next time were on the highway.

V-seriesTech
06-09-05, 07:57 AM
.....or, you could always have some NACA ducts added/placed into your hood. Race car stuff....

If you don't know what a NACA duct is, just look at the front of the new Z06, or 96 or later VIPER GTS coupe,....

Very functional, plus, you can have them made out of CARBON fiber,....or simply blended into the factory hood.

Some well thought out and placed NACA ducts on a V would/could look SICK!!!(in my opinion,....)

lasstss
06-09-05, 08:52 AM
Well here is my 2cents. THe intake pipe is going to get hot no matter what its made of. It sits behind the radiator with 2 fans pushing hot air against it. A polymer pipe will help a little bit as it is a kind of low mass insulator but after an hour of driving everything is going to heat soak anyway. A shield below the pipe might help but sitting in traffic will still cook it. Best thing is to pipe the intake below out of the engine compartment. Havent figured that out yet.

V-seriesTech
06-09-05, 09:01 AM
I have an awesome idea for RAM AIR on a CTS or CTS V BUUUUUUT...it would require mods that would not be able to be returned back to stock.......

....I will build it, I just need some spare parts....and alot of time,.. It's a great idea, but,...it's just gonna require work.

slow35th
06-09-05, 09:43 AM
so do you guys think the stocker choker plastic inlet tube gets less hot?...

No. I don't think it matters. There is just a lot of heat under the hood.

V-seriesTech
06-09-05, 09:49 AM
No. I don't think it matters. There is just a lot of heat under the hood.

Spend some time,..make or have someone make a thin metal wall tube,...and have it ceramic coated.

Also, have your headers ceramic coated. BIG difference in underhood temps.

Texan V
06-09-05, 10:02 AM
Spend some time,..make or have someone make a thin metal wall tube,...and have it ceramic coated.

Sounds like another potential product offering from Stealth V...:thumbsup:

GNSCOTT
06-09-05, 10:05 AM
Do like Homer Simpson and add "speed holes" to your car. It can be done with a bullett or a pick axe. You can also buy a set of Buick GNX louvers on Ebay and cut out a small part of your fender.