: locke keys in trunk help please

ponee
12-20-13, 04:37 PM
i think i locked my keys in the trunk and i dont know how to open it took off back seat and but hole to small to crawl throough there is NO electric open trunk button in glove box or anywhere how do i open it its a 1973 deville coupe..

talismandave
12-20-13, 05:37 PM
Get out the Sawsall?:noidea:

CADforce69
12-20-13, 07:48 PM
You may try introducing a broom or other instrument like an unfolded hanger through the hole behind the seat to reach the keys. A torch will help you to guide this tool. Did you remove the bench as well?

Maybe a little kid could pass through the hole and look for the keys with the torch?

chrisntam
12-20-13, 07:50 PM
What about taking out the back seat? Sometimes there are holes in the metal that separates the trunk from the passenger compartment. If not, then a locksmith? You could safely consider this a "life lesson" and you'll never do it again.

MoistCabbage
12-20-13, 08:25 PM
He already removed the seat.

Corey468
12-20-13, 10:07 PM
Oh that's quite a pickle you've got there. Hmm, I took a look at the latch in my '76, which doesn't have an electric release, and I don't see much of way to release it without the key. You're best bet is to probably try and get a pole with a hook and try to fish it out from where you removed the backseat.

There was this time where I wanted to see what it was like in my trunk with the lid closed, so I gave my friend the keys and pulled the trunk shut. Surprisingly spacious in there. However my friend couldn't figure out how to get the key back into the lock (she didn't know it was a one-direction key). That was slightly scary. I remember feeling around and I realized that I wouldn't be able to open the trunk from the inside. Luckily my friend figured it out eventually.

Good luck!

ponee
12-20-13, 11:40 PM
no wonder these were MOB cars you put some in there they cant get out.....hmmm

talismandave
12-21-13, 12:39 AM
It is a long shot, but when I worked for GM in the early 80's we kept a record of the GM key numbers in customers file. If you know the original owner and dealer they can cut you a set from the number.

Wouldn't it be possible to cut the hole behind the seat out larger to get in?

orconn
12-21-13, 01:09 AM
What's the problem with calling a lock smith? Or you can drop the gas tank and saw a hole in the floor of the trunk!

CADforce69
12-21-13, 07:06 AM
^If everything fails, thatīs a good advice, though it will not be cheap. Maybe a local criminal could help you for a a more economical price... Remember making a copy of the keys as soon as possible.

My '73 dodge trunk can be opened with any key for the same model (even a blank one) and many of the ordinary keys if you are a little patient :lol:. Obviously itīs very worn but Iīm not worried about forgetting my keys in the trunk. Fortunately, my caddy has an electric release in the glovebox... But I have a second key set anyway.

Roadmaster75
12-21-13, 10:35 AM
Take out the glove box door lock & take it to a locksmith…he'll make a key on the spot.

Or, have the locksmith make a house call….he'll have it open in minutes and you
won't damage a bunch of stuff trying to pry yourself into the trunk.

carnut
12-21-13, 01:46 PM
Glove box lock is the same. Take the glove box lid to a lock smith. Have him make 2 keys one for key ring, one for wallet!

Jeff R
12-21-13, 01:50 PM
Dealers can make a key from the VIN. However you have no way of knowing if the lock has been changed. Can you see the lock mechanism thru the back seat? Several years ago I tried to 'adjust' the trunk latch of an 80's Buick. It latched well--- but I could not get it open again. I went thru the back seat with every socket extension I could find and was able to loosen the lock latch and when the lid opened the whole lock latch came up with it. Just as an aside, my 70 has a weak feeling trunk lock and I am afraid it may break. I on purpose have the little cardboard cover off the latch so that I could do the same thing if this lock breaks.
Good Luck!
Jeff

talismandave
12-21-13, 09:04 PM
Dealers can make a key from the VIN. However you have no way of knowing if the lock has been changed. Can you see the lock mechanism thru the back seat? Several years ago I tried to 'adjust' the trunk latch of an 80's Buick. It latched well--- but I could not get it open again. I went thru the back seat with every socket extension I could find and was able to loosen the lock latch and when the lid opened the whole lock latch came up with it. Just as an aside, my 70 has a weak feeling trunk lock and I am afraid it may break. I on purpose have the little cardboard cover off the latch so that I could do the same thing if this lock breaks.
Good Luck!
Jeff

:histeric:.........so...how many extensions long is a Cadillac trunk?:lol:

Did Harbor Freight wonder why you were buying the out of them?

Jeff R
12-22-13, 03:38 PM
This was an 80's Buick so not as long. We have tools down at the airport with a few extensions of our own but I borrowed from other people. Had to aim it up about 10 degrees because all of them drooped so much it looked like I had a fish on a pole. Getting the socket on the bolt was like threading a needle (my eyes were better then)---- But it worked!! You see, I was desperate and had to do it. My wife had a few things in the trunk she needed and we were newly married so I didn't want to.................... Well, you can fill in the blank!
Jeff

70eldo
12-29-13, 06:58 PM
Do you have a small kind in the neighbourhood that would fit through the hole behind the rear seat ?