: removing the vinyl roof on my fleetwood...

king of the road
06-08-05, 06:08 PM
im just curious and been thinking..has anybody thought or done so to junk the vinyl roof..has anybody taken the vinyl off and just painted the roof??..:hmm:

JTraik
06-08-05, 06:28 PM
Not really on topic but im curious as well as to what it looks like under there... all the ribbing is on the inside of the car so... hmmm :hmm:

davesdeville
06-08-05, 09:00 PM
I'm going to be taking the vinyl off the 75 and painting the roof late this year. Dunno how it will work, so I'm curious as well.

BluEyes
06-09-05, 02:21 AM
it should just be a metal roof under there. There was a guy in the DeVille forum who recently removed his vinyl and found a perfectly painted roof underneath. I have also heard of people finding lots of rust under there as well.

I personally like the vinyl roof - looks classy on these cars. The metal roof just makes it look like someone bought a stripped-down caddy.
I have thought about switching from a black to a white vinyl roof to make the car cooler though...

davesdeville
06-09-05, 02:49 AM
On some cars like my 78 Fleetwood, it would look horrible if you peeled the vinyl off since it's padded vinyl it will look like an inch is missing from the roof of your car. On the 75 though I think it will look fine, I just gotta save money for a new paintjob before I try it.

king of the road
06-09-05, 11:18 AM
i was just wondering thats all...my vinyl roof isnt damaged, but theres a lot of bubbling around the lower edges, i fear this might be rust!!!, i hope not...has anybody know of anyhting that i can use to bring the color of my roof back to life??

ammason
06-13-05, 02:21 PM
I tore the vinyl off my 69 limo before I cut the top off - it's just metal under there.. Mine had a little surface rust, and a few holes down near the bottom - be prepared to do a lot of finishing work sanding it down - between the surface rust and adhesive it'll probably be a pretty rough panel...

Totally doable though...

Aaron

MulishaPunk
07-08-05, 11:56 PM
I removed the top on my Deville there was glue and foam to get off, my car had rust where the trim attatched to the body and around the windows. It was pretty bad. I ended up bedlining the top it looks badass. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/834434

davesdeville
07-09-05, 03:44 PM
I removed the top on my Deville there was glue and foam to get off, my car had rust where the trim attatched to the body and around the windows. It was pretty bad. I ended up bedlining the top it looks badass. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/834434

Dang looks like you put a lot of work into that car. Congratulations because it looks great now.