: American consumers largely ignore 'Made In USA' pitch

HotRodSaint
06-07-05, 10:43 PM
Perception study finds young adults the least likely to own U.S.-made cars (http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=12527)

The good news for beleaguered U.S. manufacturers: Americans believe "Made in the USA" stands for quality and value. The bad news: Consumers -- especially young adults entering their prime buying years and richer households who have money -- aren't inclined to look for products made at home.

These are among the findings from the American Demographics Perception Study, a new consumer survey on topics from Chinese goods to Wal-Mart's image.

It turns out to be a generally favorable report card for American manufacturers and brands. The online survey of 1,133 adults, fielded in late May by Aegis Group's Synovate, shows consumers tend to respect the quality and value of U.S.-made goods, and they rank the quality of domestic auto brands in a tie for second (even with Japan, close behind German brands).

American-made goods and car brands tend to have a downward economic skew, getting the best marks from poorer and less-educated consumers. Adults who have a high school diploma or live in households with income below $25,000 put U.S. car quality tops in the world, and they're most likely to seek out "Made in USA" products in everyday shopping.

Southern car buyers buy U.S.

Comparing attitudes across regions of the country, Southerners gave the highest-quality grade to domestic cars and were slightly more likely than residents of other regions to scope out U.S. consumer goods.

In a boost for Detroit, some of the highest grades for domestic car quality came from adults age 18-24, an appealing group to bring into the fold. But this may be more of a problem than an opportunity. In the study, young adults were least likely to own U.S. cars and most likely to drive Japanese makes.

Young adults, with a more worldly brand view, also were among the most likely to say cars from China will come to U.S. shores sooner than later. The consensus among adults was they will arrive in 15 years. But the younger, the richer and the more educated expect to see Chinese vehicles sooner than that.

ben72227
06-08-05, 12:32 AM
Southern car buyers buy U.S.

Well of course. JimBob doesn't idolize after that Honda Accord, his dream car is that Pontiac Trams Am T-top:lildevil:. But seriously, Arkansas has a very strange obsession with bad American cars (not the Trams Am, mind you), but stuff like the Pontiac everything and the Dodge everything and well you get my drift.:sneaky: All of those fugly 90's models of American cars that just look yucky (e.g. Chevy Cavalier, Beretta, Camaro:lildevil: ).

Jesda
06-08-05, 03:22 AM
Folks my age saw the Roger Smith era of GM.

'nuff said.

Sandy
06-08-05, 08:07 AM
I would buy GM, Ford, Chrysler, Volvo, Saab, Jaguar. Thats it. Would not own Japanese nor German made cars. Chinese? Ha, don't make me laugh. Chinese Food? Si :bouncy: = good, Cars? :tisk:
Not too crazy about Chevrolet, X-cept Corvette, more likely to go Cadillac, Buick or Pontiac. At Ford, more than likely a Lincoln (that I have now) and at Chrysler either a Chrysler or a Jeep. Dodge for a truck or a Magnum. Volvo for S80 Saab for a AERO. Any Jag will do. I like BIG cars, so I'd migrate towards the biggest one(s). Right now it's the Town Car.

HotRodSaint
06-08-05, 11:22 AM
I'd consider buying a car from any country.

But my car buying criteria are far different from most people.

I'd buy the first compact RWD 4 banger w/ manual transmision available on the market, no matter who makes it (GM has that platform now, so make it already)!!

I'd also buy the first low-buck 4WD off-road capable 4 door sport ute w/ manual transmission. The Romanians were supposed to send one over, but it looks like Jeep will have one with the next redesign of the Wrangler.

I buy car's for their capabilities, engineering and design, not who get paid in dollars, yen or euros. I'd buy the right Alfa Romeo in lira, if it were ever offered and I dream of the new Maseratti Spyder.

The Fleetwood fit a criteria that no other car except the Town Car competed. And I found the looks of the FW better, and I liked the idea of the LT1 engine better. I am also a Cadillac enthusiast, but only for their large by-gone era chrome and fins image.

I'd buy a Vette and never consider an XLR, not even an XLR-V. Likewise, I'd never buy a Cadillac UTE of any flavor. I'd buy the CTS-V over any German sedan.

I'd also buy the Ford GT over a Ferrari. But I'd buy a Ferrari over a Honda NSX, although I prefer the Honda S2000 over the BMW Z3.

So you see, it's all about the car with me. And I want the best engineered, best looking car, for the best price. And the less popular it is with the regular people, the better!

Sandy
06-08-05, 03:26 PM
HRS, I put all your points together into a giant seismograph and came up with your perfect car!
A 360 4WD 5-Speed manual Convertible AMC Gremlin! Yes? :rolleyes:

Kels55
06-08-05, 04:19 PM
Well of course. JimBob doesn't idolize after that Honda Accord, his dream car is that Pontiac Trams Am T-top:lildevil:. But seriously, Arkansas has a very strange obsession with bad American cars (not the Trams Am, mind you), but stuff like the Pontiac everything and the Dodge everything and well you get my drift.:sneaky: All of those fugly 90's models of American cars that just look yucky (e.g. Chevy Cavalier, Beretta, Camaro:lildevil: ).

Where in Arkansas do you live?

I grew up around Mountain View near Batesville.

You’re right, most cars in Arkansas look like beat up hand-me-downs from the 80’s and 90's that the rest of the world didn't want because of their poor quality and performance (US brands mostly). These POS vehicles are then sold to the uneducated, inbred farmers that make up about 75% of the population (at least where I lived in Stone County) because the only other transportation is by foot or on top of a cow (horses are to expensive). But most used cars in Arkansas break down after the first month and then nobody seems to know how to fix them properly, so they end up buying another cheap ass car (under $2K) to drive till it breaks down.

Driving through rural Arkansas is like driving through the worlds’ largest junk yard. Most homes have about 5 cars parked out front with only 1 running good enough to make it into town for groceries, 2 cars up on blocks, and 2 more cars that are being pieced together like a Frankenstein monster with parts, that are not made to fit that vehicle or are not even made for automobiles in the first place, just to try to get them to run.

Hell, I had to walk over a mile to the bus stop (up hill, both ways – literally) everyday until I was 11 when I got my first car and started driving by myself to the bus stop and sometimes school (23 miles away). The car I drove was a 78 Impala and it was by far one of the best cars in the county. It drove for years with no maintenance and even after it was sold, it held up for another couple of years before it was totaled by the hillbilly that we sold it to.

It’s not fair to say everyone from Arkansas is a hillbilly or inbred or uneducated, but for those of you that lived there; you know there are a lot of them. But they sure are some damn nice and polite people, even if they can’t hold an intelligent conversation.

As for ignoring the "Made In USA" stuff, I only buy quality things. It doesn't matter to me where or who it came from but how good is it. Some people, however, probably over look the "Made in USA" stuff because they are still remembering the 80's and 90's, when most American stuff was crap and the Japanese, Chinese, and Taiwanese stuff was better .

powerglide
06-08-05, 05:05 PM
........ I was 11 when I got my first car and started driving by myself to the bus stop and sometimes school (23 miles away).

kids drivin around at age 11 over there?

Not legal I presume, but they don't bust you for it?

Elvis
06-08-05, 05:32 PM

In Arkansas it's okay to drive that young as long as you carpool with your own kids. :p

Kels55
06-08-05, 06:00 PM

No, not legal but nobody cares in a hick town.

Spyder
06-08-05, 07:04 PM
I started driving to school and to the lake to go fishing at 13 or 14...my dad drove truck, so he was out of town 5 days out of the week, we lived further out than the school bus would come, and I had to get to class...

HotRodSaint
06-09-05, 10:53 AM
HRS, I put all your points together into a giant seismograph and came up with your perfect car!
A 360 4WD 5-Speed manual Convertible AMC Gremlin! Yes? :rolleyes:

I'd make room for one of thise in my garage! :)

I admit that I'm not like everyone else (I'm also very thankful for that!). My car needs would be much better suited with a 3+ car garage (My car shares a 2 car garage with junk.).

I love my Cadillac for boulevard cruising, and it's ability to transport 5 passengers in comfort and style. I love the compliments I receive at almost every gas station stop, from the young and old and the black and white.

But I badly want a "Pacific Coast highway" sports car, that can handle the twisties above Malibu, while letting me me enjoy the sun and the sea air.

I'd also like an offroad capable vehicle to take on excursions into the California and Mexican desterts. If it can also be my tow vehicle, I'd be ok with that too.

Then, a camping vehicle, a sand toy, a drag racer and maybe even an SCCA approved race car could fill my garage.

Oh, and I haven't figured out what type of vehicle to attempt my 200mph run at Bonneville would be. Seriously. My only racing goal, is to join the SCTA's 200mph club.

(Well that's my only driving goal. I want to attend Le Mans and Bathurst, and I'd like to be part of a team that fields a car at Indy.)

I'm not into two wheelers that much, but I would keep my obscure 1960's Italian Agrati-Garelli motorscooter on display.

Sandy
06-09-05, 05:05 PM
A high powered Gremlin would give the "kick" you seek. The 5-Speed manual would provide the "Sport", the 360 AMC V8 did deliver the "goods". The Gremlin style addresses the uniqueness "I'm different - I'm ME" factor and the convertible to address the sun, the wind & the surf.... A great P.C.H. car, too. Sorta a fun jitney with an attitude. I really DID give it some thought. I think in reality a Jeep Cherokee 2-Door (XJ) might fill the bill to a great degree. (BUT..... keep the Caddy. It's Classy.

HotRodSaint
06-09-05, 09:05 PM
BUT..... keep the Caddy. It's Classy.

Don't worry, the Cadillac will remain in my stable for a long time! :yup:

And finances keep the second car a dream at this point. :(