: Question on Corsa

GTS21
06-07-05, 09:52 PM
Just had the Corsa exhaust installed on my 04 V by my dealer. Not having had an exhaust like this before, how would I be able to tell if there is a leak or similar issue? It sounds very good, not nearly as loud as I expected (at least from inside the car), but i'm hearing something strange when I rev the engine, as the RPMs are decreasing, sort of like coins rattling in a can. The sound seems distinct from the exhaust note, so i'm wondering if there is some issue. Other than take it back to the dealer, which i have to do anyway for a re-tighten, is there another way for me to be sure it "sounds" right? Thanks.

2004ctsv
06-07-05, 09:55 PM
Sounds like something is loose. Re-torque the system.

Tony

lasstss
06-07-05, 10:01 PM
Just had the Corsa exhaust installed on my 04 V by my dealer. Not having had an exhaust like this before, how would I be able to tell if there is a leak or similar issue? It sounds very good, not nearly as loud as I expected (at least from inside the car), but i'm hearing something strange when I rev the engine, as the RPMs are decreasing, sort of like coins rattling in a can. The sound seems distinct from the exhaust note, so i'm wondering if there is some issue. Other than take it back to the dealer, which i have to do anyway for a re-tighten, is there another way for me to be sure it "sounds" right? Thanks.

If you find out let me know. Mine does the same thing. Sounds like loose plates in the rear mufflers.

cadillac04
06-07-05, 10:01 PM
Sound gets better as it is used. It has to break in.
The coin rattling sound is usually only when the car is first started and it goes away. Give it a week or so.
Just had mine re-adjusted today . One of the clamps loosened and caused a slight rattle when I went over some bumps. The dealer adjusted it and now no rattle. I've had mine on since November and I just love to hear the car start up. Even better going through the gears. The CORSA sound is just the greatest!

51PHFTY
06-07-05, 10:12 PM
I installed mine myself and have about 1,000 miles on the Corsa. I have never had a rattle sound like you describe (just the popping on de-acceleration which I love). I agree that you should check for something loose. I do remember reading in the Corsa instructions about how the sound can change as the system heats up - you may want to check all the fittings when the system is cold so that you can be sure you have no leaks.

trukk
06-07-05, 10:48 PM
If you have a leak you will see black carbon 'stains' on the pipes where is is leaking. Tighten up the associated fasteners, and all is well.

-Chris

Merle Corey
06-07-05, 11:34 PM
The way one emissions modifications lab did it: Have the exhaust system installer weld all joints not bolted. Make up a cap that fits with rubber gasket materials and seals using hose clamps. On the end of that cap mount a pressure gauge and a Schrader tire valve. Pressurize your exhaust system to one atmosphere (14 psi ). If it holds for a period of time - your golden. If not, use a weak soap solution in a spray bottle and go hunting.
Your mileage may vary.
(In their application, certifications for California Emissions Standards, this little routine helped them meet their long term warrenty obligations - to the State and DOT/EPA.)

MLV
06-08-05, 07:52 AM
On mine the exhaust pipes were very close to the driveshaft just to the rear of the resonator and made a clanging/banging noise when driving over rough spots in the road. I checked the original pipes and noticed that they had rub marks in the same spot, so I had the muffler shop adjust them(used a tire tool to carefully lever them down a bit). They were welded, so nothing was loose. That solved the problem for me.