: Alpine head unit is "IN"

Dadillac
06-07-05, 09:05 PM
And it sounds f'in awesome. Very easy too. Anyone with a '98-'04 Seville, without Bose, rejoice. All you need is a Metra dashkit #99-2005, and a Metra interface #GMOS-06. The interface is 100% plug and play. It allows the use of the factory amp, the factory chime still works and still comes from the front left speaker, and the steering wheel controls work also. The volume button allows volume control, although, the volume meter on the head unit doesn't change. The select button will now control the fader. Since the factory amp is still being used, the factory subwoofer, still pounds. The only thong that needed to be done, above and beyond the dashkit, and interface, was some paint, and dash trimming. The new head unit will not fit in the original opening, due to depth issues. All I needed to do, was trim a little of the rear dash support (some kind of white metal), to the driver side of the dash. This thing rocks. Here's a few pics. Can you tell yet if I am excited or not?

Don

Southern DubVille
06-07-05, 11:24 PM
looks great! I cant wait until I install my headunit!!!

Dub:D

brothamarb
06-08-05, 02:02 PM
Oh yeah, I want that! Do you know if it will work with bose?

Dadillac
06-08-05, 05:49 PM
I am not sure of the part number for the interface for the Bose syetem, but there is one. Someone posted a link to Lafayette stereo a week or so ago. I believe the part number is in there.

Don

Rob_M
06-08-05, 07:04 PM
Damm that looks nice. Thats what I'm going to put in mine. Alpine. It sure would be nice if they had an interface for the 93 Bose amp. Do they??....

Dadillac
06-08-05, 09:37 PM
Here is the link that was posted in an earlier thread. It is also where I ordered my interface from.
http://www.lafayetteradio.com/AXXES...L_INTERFACE.htm
For you Bose guys, check out #GMOS-04, and GMRC-04. One of these should work for you.

Don

Rob_M
06-09-05, 02:16 PM
Ok, say they do have a harness for my 93, can I swap out the speakers too or will it mess up the impedence or ohms or something?????

Dadillac
06-09-05, 03:55 PM
It is my understanding that the two interfaces listed are for the Bose system. Plug and play units. If you have any further questions on these parts, call Metra's tech line. The number is 1-800-221-0932. I had a few questions before installing my unit, and they were very helpful, and polite. They did not treat me like some kind of moron. Good luck

Don

Rob_M
06-09-05, 04:55 PM
Right on DON! I will check that out. It would be worth it to not let that amp go to waste.

Dadillac
06-09-05, 10:43 PM
Rob, the issue isn't really letting the amp go to waste. In the non-Bose systems, everything runs through the amp. So to not use the amp, you need to bypass it. There is a 24 pin, and a 12 or 14 pin connector on the amp. That is about 30 wires, to figure out, and splice together. Not something I want to do. The Bose speakers each have thier own amp. So if you do not utilize an appropriate interface, you will need to completely re-wire an aftermarket head unit. The Bose head unit, is in effect, a remote. The real stereo is in the rear of the car. So without the interface, you will need to bypass the stereo, and install new speakers, with new wiring. A major job. Plus, all of the chimes work through the sound system. On Star also works through the system. The interface is the only way to go here. I paid about $75.00 for my GMOS-06 from lafayette stereo. If I had not used this, I would have had to run new wires, for power, memory, speakers. I then would have had a working head unit. But, I would not have had the warning chimes, On Star, or my subwoofer. So to get these things working, it would have cost more money, and more time. I wired the interface into the Alpine harness in my computer room (comfortable and air conditioned) in about 30 minutes. I then removed the stock head unit, installed the Alpine, and hooked the wires together. Except for a few minor fitment issues, the entire thing took about 1 1/2 hours. And no headaches to go along with it. Also, if I choose to re-install the stock head unit (if I sell the car (not likely)), I can do so, in less than an hour. The correct interface is a no-brainer to me.

Don

Rob_M
06-10-05, 04:18 PM
Yeah Don, it looks like I'll be completely bypassing mine here. I don't think my chimes go through that system but I'm not completely sure. I'll have to check for that. Its a 93.. I don't think I'm also not sure if I have a seperate BOSE amp other than the tiny little ones on the back of the speakers. Either way, it sure will be nice when I finally get that Alpine I want in there. I bet yours sounds great!!!!

Dadillac
06-10-05, 06:12 PM
UPDATE: After having the stereo in the car for a few days, I thought I would post an update to it's performance. The sound is awesome. I am fairly certain that the Alpine puts out more watts than the stock speakers can handle. When I turn it up, the speakers, especially the subwoofer, thumps pretty hard. And this is not at maximum volume. This isn't really a problem for me, as I do not drive around, at very high volumes. Also, not all of the chimes in the car, are functional. The ones that I know for sure are working: at start-up, key in ignition w/door open, headlights on w/door open and engine off. The ones that I know are not working: back-up sensors, low fuel warning. I am going to assume, since the low fuel chime doesn't work, that all of the DIC warnings, will not have a chime. No biggy, but it would be nice to have them. The one I really miss, is the back-up sensor chime. Although the lights are still operational, sometimes when backing up, I am not looking at them. Just a small change on my part is all that is necessary. Overall, I would say that I am very pleased, with the new head unit. Even with the little quirks, I would do it all over again.

Don

Rob_M
06-10-05, 07:13 PM
Yeah my old Deville had an Alpine in it. I still had the stock door speakers but that's all I kept. I replaced the 6X9's and had 2 JL subs with 2 amps. Man, the sound was so crisp and clean and the whole car bumped hard. I loved every second of it. I miss it. Anyways, glad to hear youre happy with it. Ever thought of upgrading the factory speakers and amp. I'm sure there's a way to make all the chimes work. Where theres a will, there's a way.

Dadillac
06-10-05, 09:25 PM
Right now, I am happy, with the way it sounds. In the future, I may change out the speakers, to better ones. As far as the chimes, the only one that I really want, is the back-up chime. With alot of digging and research, I may figure out how to get it working. But, I will assume, that it is going to be a long time away. Anything can be found on the internet, if, you look in the right places. Look in the wrong places, you just get frustrated.

Rob, it seems that we are the only ones interested in new head units. I figured that this thread would bring many out of the woodwork. I recall many posts about folks who wanted to replace thier head units. Now, here is an informative thread, and it is just you and me. That's okay though. I just hope some lurkers are picking up some info.

To anyone viewing this thread. I installed the head unit myself, not a shop. Also, my sound system experience is very lacking. So if I can do this install, so can you. Peace

Don

C_U_H8N
06-11-05, 03:45 PM
finally after looking everywhere for a dash kit i find 2 in one week.. it's good to hear that there weren't too many problems with the installation maybe i'll try doing it myself.. couple of questions though.. will i still be able to use the factory 6 cd changer and are there any woodgrain trim kits for plastic around the head unit? i know there is for the temp controls..

Dadillac
06-11-05, 09:51 PM
Good question on the cd changer. I have a factory changer, but the new head unit, does not recognize it. So I am going to say no, a factory changer, will not work with an aftermarket interface. As for the wood trim. There is not a piece to fit am aftermarket dash kit. BUT, if you look around in this forum, you WILL find, a member here, who had one custom made for the dash kit. It looks really trick. Good luck to you.

Don

Rob_M
06-12-05, 01:51 PM
I think somebody said before that they sell a wood grain plastic tape. You could give it a try. I found out about it when I was trying to repair the tape at the base of my shifter. Give it a shot. If youre careful, it would probably look pretty cool.

bundy
06-18-05, 04:00 PM
And it sounds f'in awesome. Very easy too. Anyone with a '98-'04 Seville, without Bose, rejoice. All you need is a Metra dashkit #99-2005, and a Metra interface #GMOS-06. The interface is 100% plug and play. It allows the use of the factory amp, the factory chime still works and still comes from the front left speaker, and the steering wheel controls work also. The volume button allows volume control, although, the volume meter on the head unit doesn't change. The select button will now control the fader. Since the factory amp is still being used, the factory subwoofer, still pounds. The only thong that needed to be done, above and beyond the dashkit, and interface, was some paint, and dash trimming. The new head unit will not fit in the original opening, due to depth issues. All I needed to do, was trim a little of the rear dash support (some kind of white metal), to the driver side of the dash. This thing rocks. Here's a few pics. Can you tell yet if I am excited or not?

Don

That looks great! I also used the GMOS-06 with the same dash kit and put a Pioneer AVIC-N2 in an '03 STS...ya gotta love Metra. They said it works with Bose systems. The sound is awesome. No complaints. After bugging GM for months I now have XM in the dash...no more FM modulation! My pictures are too large to upload...I'll try and reduce them

Dadillac
06-18-05, 05:15 PM
Bundy

I look forward to seeing your pics. I couldn't believe how easy it was to install. After hearing everything from, return the Alpine, you need to rewire the whole system, it won't work, good luck you'll need it, it has never been done before, etc. Now I am looking to possibly upgrade the speakers. I just need to find out who makes excellent sound, wothout breaking the bank.

Don

sketch
03-23-07, 03:40 PM
Just found this thread. Would you guys mind checking out my thread - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/102550-01-sts-bose-head-unit-install.html and tell me if your basic interface will work for me as well?

Dadillac
03-24-07, 03:06 PM
Just found this thread. Would you guys mind checking out my thread - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/102550-01-sts-bose-head-unit-install.html and tell me if your basic interface will work for me as well?

The member who replied to your question is the resident BOSE guru. Make nice with him and he can help you through the whole process. I know that the Bose systems are different than the Delco's. Mine was a Delco, so I can be of little help. Get your info from Mr. CadillacETC1997.

Don

CadillacSTS42005
03-24-07, 03:19 PM
aww thanx for the heads up Dadillac!
seriously your car is what the gmos-06 was designed for, the car will work with it 100% not like the 96-99 Devilles which had many an issue
if you plan on keeping the bose speaks you must keep the bose amps which means gmos-06
if you plan on using aftermarket speaks you need to run them off the hu and therefore you need to use the gmos-03 and rewire the car running new wires for the speakers.

DiamondWytLac
08-31-07, 03:10 AM
ALL -

98 Eldorado (bose free) - Ordered Pioneer DEH P9800BT and Metra 99-2005 kit tonight. What other kit is needed for the harness? Already got the deville 96 and up wiring harness - will it work?

http://http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car-stereos/pioneer-deh-p9800bt-radio/4864-6729_7-31943250.html?ctype=msgid&messageSiteID=7&messageID=2067647&cval=2067647

CadillacSTS42005
09-02-07, 08:03 PM
Bose Eldos do NOT like interfaces...
everyone ive had experiance with will cut the sound every 2 mintutes....
if you dont have bose then gmrc-03 is the ticket for you
if youve got bose, you have to swap everything....

GrippinWood
09-07-07, 11:07 PM
Hay guys ive got a 2002 STS and im going to install a Kenwood 7" touch screen and ive been reading a bunch of post on how to do it. Ive ordered the Metra dash kit 99-2005, my only question is if i have a bose head unit the GMOS-06 is not the interface for me right? Sorry if thats a stupid question but im new to this shit.