: Rent A Car

Boombotz
06-07-05, 08:40 PM
O.K. In the last 2 weeks I have needed 2 rented cars. My lade was in for repairs from being rear ended. The first time I got a Chevy Trailblazer it wasn't bad. It was small but it was alright. Right now I am driving the Chevy Tahoe I like this one. The worst I have ever rented was a dodge neon and that was pretty bad. I was just wondering what was the best and worse cars you have ever rented, and after a rental have you ever decided to buy that car or truck because you liked it?

ShadowLvr400
06-07-05, 09:05 PM
Best was probably an 01 Deville DHS. Worst?... The little 02 Neon was ok, the Skylark back in.... 93 ish was kinda rough.

HotRodSaint
06-07-05, 10:37 PM
The worst rental car is anyone that has been smoked in for 36k miles! (Absolutley disgusting!!)

The best are the brand spankin new ones. :)

But that's not what you asked. :p

I was impressed with a PT Crusier I was bumped up to once.

I almost spun a Hyundai Accel out in the rain, pushing it in a corner. I'd never buy a Hyundai.

ShadowLvr400
06-07-05, 10:57 PM
Worst now that I remember it, 92ish Nissan Sentra. Base model, had been smoked in, and thrown up on. Yes, there was still vomit on the car.

Boombotz
06-08-05, 12:37 AM
Worst now that I remember it, 92ish Nissan Sentra. Base model, had been smoked in, and thrown up on. Yes, there was still vomit on the car.

Ok that would go in my book as the worst to. Do you remember the rental company? I hope it wasn't enterprise. I guess I lucked out because the Tahoe is really pretty new only 8,000 miles on it. The insurance company only authorized a mini van, but because none where available I got the Tahoe. Last week I did an upgrade, but this time I wasn't worried about it should have the lade back tomm. so why pay the extra money.

davesdeville
06-08-05, 12:59 AM
The worst my parents rented was a base model Saturn sedan. What a POS, and it had NO options at all, manual windows and locks, AM/FM radio, no AC and it was 100*+ in the summer.

The best would have to be the 04 I think Trailblazer we got bumped up to, thank GOD they already rented out the Kia we were going to be getting otherwise. Yeah my parents are pretty cheap when it comes to cars in general, they drive POSes and rent them too. Although the 02 Taurus we rented wasn't bad because it was almost brand new.

My friends parents rented a 300C, not the base model the Hemi C. That was pretty cool cause I got to drive it a little bit.

Rolex
06-08-05, 01:22 AM
Worst rental ever was the Ford Focus. It smelled like mushrooms too!:annoyed:

Sandy
06-08-05, 08:17 AM
Worst was an abused Mercury Sable with mouse fur-like cloth interior and best was a Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-Door

CADDYBLACK99
06-08-05, 09:43 AM
Okay a few years ago I had elbow surgery and could not drive my 5-speed. So I rented an automatic (1980 somthing K-Car...I can hear the laughing from here). The best was an o4' escalade (loaded!!)I got as a rental when my Deville was in for service!

I took the family to to see the big mouse, at the time we had a small sedan and knew it would not be suited for the 3400mi round trip. I rented a 96 Pontiac Bonneville for the trip. The 3800 V6 had plenty of power and being full size sedan it was a great trip. (Passing a Georgia State cop at 99mph theat's a story for another time!) After the trip I went car shopping and found a very nice Olds LSS and bought it (same platform and engine). Then I spotted my 99 Concours, ...well the rest is history!

Msilva954
06-08-05, 10:06 AM
Good list:
BMW 3series
Kia Optima
Ford Focus
Grand AM
Towncar
ParkAve
Rav 4

Bad List:
Saturn
Neon (power front window, manual rear???wtf)
2005 Civic (biggest POS ever, y r people into these cars, they suck major ass)
Dodge Minivan (could sit n do burnouts all day though)

Stoneage_Caddy
06-08-05, 10:09 AM
Ive had the displeasure of renting some serious heeps over the years ....

The worst by far was the 97 Neon Coupe , she only made it into the second 24 hours before it died and i had to call the rental car coroner out to get it ..

The most miserable car was the Suzuki Esteem (or lack therof) , i had this heep for 3 days on midwestern roads , the car litterally beat me sensless ...no grip, poor handleing, and a engine that would feel more at home in my weed wacker ...

Best rental ever ?

The last of the Lincolin Town cars before they swtiched to the present day body style , it was a signature series , jet black , with grey plastic lower cladding and a very handsome set of alumiun wheels ....I rented the car 3 times in one month , the onyl car i have specificly ask for and reserved ..Probably one of my favorite cars ive ever driven perioid ...
The last time i had her was sad for boath of us , she had been beaten badly by the previous renter , i made it 3 blocks away before i brought her back with severly warped rotors (fairly common on that body style) and what later came out to be as a bad coil pack ...

They gave me some of my money back and tossed me the keys to a Daewoo Nubria , a suprisinly nice car for a Korean Sardine can , very well equipeed and at the time it was one fo the first Daewoos in the US (cali test market)...
Daewoo gave me a survey when i returned the little bugger , i told them they had a very nice little car and wished them the best with it ..It was far beatter than Any corolla , cavalier or sentra i ever drove ...

DeVillish
06-08-05, 05:51 PM
Man, renting cars, did you guys know that you have to be 25??? what kinda crap is that?? I come home from japan for 20 days and cant rent a car. yeah ok.

Elvis
06-08-05, 06:13 PM
I rented a Taurus a few years ago that really wasn't half bad. I wouldn't buy one.

I used to travel a lot and had to rent cars all the time when I was 20-25 years old. Never had any problems back then. It seemed like I always got stuck in a Grand Am. Once I got a Camaro and that was a lot of fun.

Spyder
06-08-05, 07:08 PM
A lot of companies will rent to younger folks, but they charge more...I can get one, but its an extra 10 a day...

Boombotz
06-08-05, 10:09 PM
A lot of companies will rent to younger folks, but they charge more...I can get one, but its an extra 10 a day...
I know when I was younger that was not happening. What rental car are you using because thats always good info to have. I know there are very few that do rent to drivers under 25 but the extra charge was a lot more than $10 a day from what I heard. When I went to New York for a visit after moving to Florida had to drive my moms car because I wasn't 25 yet and was unable to rent anything there. Glad in some cases this is no longer an issue, but when I look in the mirror and start seeing the gray I kinda wish it still was.

Spyder
06-08-05, 11:30 PM
I think it was either Budget or Enterprise. A buddy of mine just rented a car in Seattle, WA to come back to Sacramento, CA for a few days...cost him 180 for three days. High price, but he's 24, so paid the extra, and it was one in the morning, so he didn't have many options. :)

HotRodSaint
06-09-05, 11:48 AM
I forgot the coolest car I rented. It was an Alfa Romeo 164 I rented in Milan, Italy. And driving like an Italian through the streets of Milan was a blast too.

While not cool, I rented a BMW 3-Series in Germany. What was cool was pushing that four banger to top speed on the Autobahn and still getting passed by Porsches!

I also rented a Lancia once, that was boring.

Spyder
06-09-05, 06:45 PM
There's a place my dad drove by once, in Oregon of all places, where they rented replica built 427 Cobra's for a hundred bucks a day, plus insurance. I dunno if they really had 427's in them, but even a hot small block would have been fun as hell!

Msilva954
06-09-05, 08:11 PM
Gotta question....

anyone here always try to do burnouts in their rental cars????

I do....gotta say the dodge caravan was the best one outa all the ones I listed.

HotRodSaint
06-09-05, 09:00 PM
anyone here always try to do burnouts in their rental cars????

No, but I ruined a transmission by pushing a rental car over 100mph on my way to Atlanta from Talledega once, trying to make a flight after the race. :o

Spyder
06-10-05, 04:00 PM
Didja catch the plane? :D

HotRodSaint
06-11-05, 03:34 AM
Didja catch the plane? :D

I missed a plane in Atlanta once, but I don't think it was on that trip.

jspano
06-12-05, 10:48 AM
we rented a chevy mini van for our version of american vacaction
for a trip to ny about ten yrs ago
there was baby vomit somewhere in the car
i found it when we arrived a took a hose to it

what the he** it was a rental