: Undercover as a Car Salesman

c5 rv
06-07-05, 07:52 PM
Interesting link from www.gm-trucks.com . It may be from last year, but a good, long, read:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

Sandy
06-07-05, 10:47 PM
Skip it. I read somewhere else, on another board, that it's all fake, and from someone's very creative imagination and was from many many years ago.

elwesso
06-08-05, 12:53 AM
Yeah i was a little aprehensive about it when i read it too!

Jesda
06-08-05, 03:18 AM
Now that Ive been in it a LITTLE bit, a lot of it seems true but highly exaggerated. The stuff about sales people though isnt far off. Lots of scummy people in this field.

Sandy
06-08-05, 08:14 AM
""Lots of scummy people in this field.""

...and the customers are "alter boys" ? You haven't been in it long enough!

If there's anyone IN the field "Scummy" (to use your words) it's the owners of the dealerships !!

c5 rv
06-08-05, 11:12 AM

If there's anyone IN the field "Scummy" (to use your words) it's the owners of the dealerships !!

Isn't this one of the conclusions of the article?

powerglide
06-08-05, 12:45 PM
Yup.....I read this article before.....why is it a fake?

I thought it was a failry legit article. Wouldn't Edmund stop posting it if it was fake? (its got their name all over it)

Elvis
06-08-05, 02:32 PM
I've linked it on here before. I seriously doubt that it's a fake. Edmunds has a strong reputation.

Sandy
06-08-05, 03:12 PM
I am not saying that it's fake. I read on another car-related site a few months ago, where this was mentioned, and somebody said that it was a "highly embellished" article from someone who had actually been a salesman in a dealership (or two) for a couple of weeks and had written it and then went on to further fabricate beyond the point where his/her experience had stopped, and they called it "fake" ~ at which point another person posted that they had heard about it several years ago, and had "read most of it" at that time, and discussed it on the 'web with others and the general consensis was that much of it was greatly exagerated.

I forget what car site it was as I visit many, from here to Mustangs & Lincolns & AMCs. Personally speaking, I read the first 5 chapters of it,
and found some truth in there, but alot of 1/2 truths and some total BS.
It was like all over the place, and was written (IMO) in a very negitive and "sour grapes" type of opinion.
Or...maybe it is true, but in a different part of the country from where I am at. Maybe the California market? or Texas? I don't know.....

powerglide
06-08-05, 03:24 PM
It took a long time but I read the whole thing.....I thinks its not that bad.

The author comes around towards the end to respect/empathise with the sales folks.

Jesda
06-08-05, 08:11 PM

Compared to the software and healthcare industries I've been in, there's a massive difference in the amount of low-class people. By low-class I refer to DUIs, felonies, and a general sociopathic state of mind.

powerglide
06-08-05, 08:29 PM
Compared to the software and healthcare industries I've been in, there's a massive difference in the amount of low-class people. By low-class I refer to DUIs, felonies, and a general sociopathic state of mind.

I find it difficult to believe that a 23 year old could have been "in" that many different fields long enough to make generalizations like that........no offense to you personally.

Sandy
06-08-05, 10:16 PM
Okay, I got to lay it out, now on 3 people.
#1 = ME :p I am a graduate of Temple University in Phila., Pa, after having attended American University in Washington, D.C. I have a degree in Business Adm. I began selling cars in 1969. I worked long & hard hours, 9AM to 9PM 4 days a week and all day Saturday, NEVER having a Saturday off to enjoy. Saturday nights I went to bed at 8PM ~ too exhausted to go out as did the rest of the world. For this, I was a wage earner in the bottom 1/3rd of the population!! Sales are tough and competition is fierce and if you diodn't sell CHEAP, you just didn't sell!! Cheap profit = minuimum commission!!!
I stayed with it for 27 years, took my savings, bought real estate and sold it for a jumbo profit and was able to retire at 55.

#2. My best friend, Marty.
Marty never went to college, has sold cars for 30 years. Married (as I am) with one child, a senior at Collgate University, an honors student. (My son is a 4.0GPA at Princeton University !!!) Has a summer job for 90 days @ $15,000 BTW)
Back to Marty. Like I, he has been faithful to one woman (his wife) for 25 years and has raised an outstanding son. Marty neither drinks or smoke and also like I had never done drugs. Like I, Marty is always open & honest and truthful in his business dealings.

#3. Joey. Joey follows the same path as Marty & I. Joey sells Dodge as did I and Marty sells Toyota. Joey is younger (33). He donates blood to the Red Cross monthly, is in his Church's Choir and has taken on many time consuming Sunday events with his church.

(I am an usher at my Synagogue during th Jewish High Holy Days, and assist the elderly to their seats when they have trouble walking.)

Joey helps to care for his elderly Mom and spends his Saturday eves, food marketing for her & making her meals in advance for the coming week.

When Mom my was dying, we moved her in with us, to make her comfortable, and my wife becaome her personal care giver.

Now..... You wanna call me scummy ? I'll put my values, and my ethics, and my honesty, and my morals
up against ANY one of YOUR "software" "Healthcare" professionals, that you'd care to choose. ! ANY ONE OF THEM !!
Personally, I think you have one heck of alot ot nerve to insinuate that an entire group of professional salespeople can be grouped together under a banner of SCUMMY low class fellons.
If that is who you are working with, then you'd better change dealerships!

Jesda
06-09-05, 12:20 AM
(Skim Skim Skim)

Get over yourself, man. Thanks for the cute A&E Biography, but I wasn't talking about you personally. I know a LOT of good guys in various aspects of auto sales, but they're not representative of their profession.

"If there's anyone IN the field "Scummy" (to use your words) it's the owners of the dealerships !!"
^^-- And you expect sales people to be much better than top management?

And I, too, have dealt with my share low-class scam artist customers.

Jesda
06-09-05, 12:30 AM
I find it difficult to believe that a 23 year old could have been "in" that many different fields long enough to make generalizations like that........no offense to you personally.

Indeed I have.

Medicine is the family business, and I've spent a few years in radio, politics, software, and I.T. I got myself a long head start and a nice resume to boot. :)

Elvis
06-09-05, 01:01 PM
How did we get from Edmunds to this? :hmm:

youbetcha77
06-09-05, 03:56 PM
Indeed I have.

Medicine is the family business, and I've spent a few years in radio, politics, software, and I.T. I got myself a long head start and a nice resume to boot. :)
What Politics did you spend your time in?

Blaze

HotRodSaint
06-10-05, 10:52 AM
How did we get from Edmunds to this? :hmm:

It wasn't me!! :lildevil:

That said, having sold car's and having sold accessories to car dealers, I find most sales managers and general managers to be professional salesmen who could enter any industry in a sales management capacity and excel.

Now the entry level newbie salesmen on the other hand, are a dime a dozen (maybe even cheaper than a dime) and most never rise above scratching the gound for their next meal.

davesdeville
06-10-05, 11:22 AM
What Politics did you spend your time in?

Blaze

Bad ones.. :shhh:

D148L0
06-10-05, 11:39 AM
It wasn't me!! :lildevil:
Hey, you are right! Feels kinda weird, though... ;)

HotRodSaint
06-11-05, 03:24 AM
Feels kinda weird, though... ;)

That's peer pressure. :suspense:

HotRodSaint
06-12-05, 03:46 PM
Bad ones.. :shhh:

You are aware that he was active in your favorite party, right? :hmm:

youbetcha77
06-12-05, 04:04 PM
You are aware that he was active in your favorite party, right? :hmm:
Democrat??? That what I am. I dont care for our Governor, Matt Blunt, at all.

Blaze