: Recommended removal of varnish and sludge......

elwesso
10-29-03, 05:22 PM
Well.... For all of the maintenance freaks out there, what do you guys use to clean out varnish and sludge from your engine.... I looked inside my valve cover (via the oil filler cap), and I could see quite a ways down there...... All I saw was brown goo everywhere, with some black crusty stuff...... I assume the oil has been changed every 5000 miles, not perfect, but decent......

Let me know what you guys have heard........

elwesso
10-31-03, 10:33 PM
Bump..... Anyone???

brougham
11-02-03, 01:16 AM
Usually that stuff is from going too far between oil changes. Probably the best way to clean it out is to take the valve covers off and get off what you can yourself, but I don't know if I'd want to do that on a transeverse mounted engine when you can't get to the back too well.

I guess some sort of engine cleaner stuff would work, but I've heard before that the bad thing about using that stuff is that if it just loosens the crusty stuff it could get stuck in an oil passage or somewhere else where it might cause problems. An old trick I've been told before for cleaning engines that have that is to run tranny fluid with the oil because it has a lot of detergents and stuff in it. But I've never done that myself.

Night Wolf
11-02-03, 10:38 AM
IIRC his Q45 is RWD and the engine is sitting the right way.......

.....in retrospect, when I take my oil cap off (on the valve cover too) and see the heads, rocker arms etc..... it is as clean as could be, just bare metal, nothing else at all...... I guess the owners befoe me took good care of it, and now I switched to synthetics....

elwesso
11-02-03, 11:00 AM
I dont think my car was abused in the oil change department...... The maintenance schedule says every 3750 miles, and when i talked to teh previous owner he said something like his oil change habits were 5000 miles or so...... Not terrible, since I think he drove a lot..... But, he lives in the same area I do, so that means <probably> it was mostly city driving.... :(

The only thing that makes me worry is since Ive had it its only driven on short trips, so that could be making a bad matter worse......

Ill be resealing my valve covers later this year (christmas break), so Ill clean em off then......

I actually have heard the ATF trick (adding a Qt before an oil change, and idling or running lightly for like 20 mins.....), but I didnt want to post anything until I got some ideas........

I think what Ill do is clean the valve covers and then do the ATF thing every oil change....... BTW, they recommended that you use ONLY mobil 1 synthetic, as anything else could break down under the heat......

the Sandman
11-02-03, 11:33 AM
Find a place that has this (http://www.oilchangeguys.com/Bilstein%20R-2000%20Engine%20Flush%20System.pdf). More information here (http://www.redwoodgeneral.com/flush.htm). My local Cadillac dealer has it...it really works!

brougham
11-02-03, 11:47 AM
I didn't know they were RWD. All I knew about them until now is that they're made by Nissan.

Oil change intervals has an effect too. If the oil changes were done every 5,000kms but only every 6 months or more that can do it a bit too.

Mobil1 when, just in general or only when doing the transmission fluid thing? I'll assume in general because the other thing has been around a lot longer. We just use regular oil in our cars.

elwesso
11-02-03, 12:04 PM
Ive seen that before..... Any idea on how much it costs???

Ill probably do it after my valve cover job.....

elwesso
11-02-03, 12:07 PM
I didn't know they were RWD. All I knew about them until now is that they're made by Nissan.

Oil change intervals has an effect too. If the oil changes were done every 5,000kms but only every 6 months or more that can do it a bit too.

Mobil1 when, just in general or only when doing the transmission fluid thing? I'll assume in general because the other thing has been around a lot longer. We just use regular oil in our cars.
I was refferring to when you put it in the crankcase before an oil change..... I would NEVER run ATF in the crankcase for a long time (IE more than one startup)....

Definitely after I do my valve covers and I get this thing cleaned out im gonna do oil changes EVERY 90 days with synthetic or synthetic blend, regardless of mileage.......

the Sandman
11-02-03, 12:32 PM
Ive seen that before..... Any idea on how much it costs???

Ill probably do it after my valve cover job.....Usually $99 or so.

ljklaiber
11-02-03, 04:41 PM
I was refferring to when you put it in the crankcase before an oil change..... I would NEVER run ATF in the crankcase for a long time (IE more than one startup)....

Definitely after I do my valve covers and I get this thing cleaned out im gonna do oil changes EVERY 90 days with synthetic or synthetic blend, regardless of mileage.......

Local driving by previous owner kept localized temps in cylinder head and drainback areas..... and that black carbon crud is proof. Your main and rod bearings run at a bout .002 thou clearance and if you rip the hard crap off ,it will probably get into your bearings. On a high mile, just use A HD oil ..dinosaur type and change every 2k for a while. Synth wont help a bit now. Change filter each time as well and get a filter cutting tool and check out the pleats for Hard Carb. It will do fine. Leave the covers ON! You drop your lunch in there and she wont be happy...LOL

geezer ljk

elwesso
11-02-03, 05:16 PM
I was going to take off my valve covers since they leak a little (just enough for an annoying smell after shutdown, worse when its cold.....)

Now that I think of it, it probably wont do much good to use that flush thing.... Maybe some, but I doubt it would would be worth it...... Meaning it probably wont extend its life.....

Im sure whatever has been done can be undone in time (besides wear).... Dont get me wrong, she runs beautifully... Burn no oil, and doesnt smell (except for the valve covers, and you cant really smell it unless you try and smell right by the hood.)

Night Wolf
11-02-03, 05:31 PM
I never heard of the ATF trick....can someone please explane it more? Thanks.

elwesso
11-02-03, 07:10 PM
What you do is add a Qt, or 3/4 of a Qt of ATF (M1 synthetic recommended) right before your oil change..... Idle for a while or drive gently (IE not above 2500rpm, as the excessive heat will break down the ATF, and that is NOT good) for like 20 mins or so..... Then drain IMMEDIATELY (waiting NO more than like 10mins MAX)......

brougham
11-02-03, 09:00 PM
What you do is add a Qt, or 3/4 of a Qt of ATF (M1 synthetic recommended) right before your oil change..... Idle for a while or drive gently (IE not above 2500rpm, as the excessive heat will break down the ATF, and that is NOT good) for like 20 mins or so..... Then drain IMMEDIATELY (waiting NO more than like 10mins MAX)......

This is the 1st I've heard to use synthetic for that purpose. The old way of doing it was to use regular automatic transmission fluid and leave it in there for even a day or more and drive like you normally would. It's one of those things that different people are going to tell you different things. Everyone is just going to say how to do it based on how they did it or from what they heard.

SLS97
11-02-03, 10:20 PM
Why not buy the "engine flush" off the shelf and follow directions? I've seen these while looking at products. It's amazing what's out there! I don't think I would do it. It just sounds like inviting trouble.

elwesso
11-03-03, 04:29 PM
This is the 1st I've heard to use synthetic for that purpose. The old way of doing it was to use regular automatic transmission fluid and leave it in there for even a day or more and drive like you normally would. It's one of those things that different people are going to tell you different things. Everyone is just going to say how to do it based on how they did it or from what they heard.
That is true..... But knowing the nature of ATF, Id rather be safe than sorry.......

elwesso
11-03-03, 04:31 PM
Why not buy the "engine flush" off the shelf and follow directions? I've seen these while looking at products. It's amazing what's out there! I don't think I would do it. It just sounds like inviting trouble.
The OTC stuff uses predominantely kerosene, with some xlyene and tolene..... This stuff is much too harsh to use, as it actually breaks up TOO much at one time and can clog stuff. Not a good thing......

Id be more apt to use it on an engine I knew was clean rather than use it on a really dirty engine........ That way, it doesnt break up enough stuff to cause damage......

JJhomer83
11-03-03, 04:33 PM
That is true..... But knowing the nature of ATF, Id rather be safe than sorry.......

So your saying if i put synthtic in now and run it for 20 mins then change oil it will clean out the system??? i don't follow

elwesso
11-03-03, 04:40 PM
It wont clean it completely, but it will clean it somewhat...... You can use either synthetic or conventional, but id use the first.......

ATF has a much higher detergency package than does any motor oil you can buy.... but, on the other hand, it doesnt lubricate quite like oil does..... So if you add just a little to the crankcase, you use the detergents without losing lubrication.....

brougham
11-04-03, 01:18 AM

But on the other hand if you don't run it in it long enough it can make things worse and just loosen up the crud that's there and not clean it up. It's actually probably the type of thing anyway that if the engine runs well I'd just leave it alone. I'd hate to try something and have it clog things up or cause damage somehow.

elwesso
11-04-03, 05:37 PM
That is a good point.... I guess the best way would be to cruise it for about 25-30mins......